Contribute
Register

i7 3930K LGA 2011 Processor

Status
Not open for further replies.
BobMc said:
dark_ata said:
:clap: :clap: hello can you test to see how many points given in Geekbench? I've been looking all day if anyone has installed SN or Lion in a x79. thanks

HT Off
Geekbench score 13194.

Cinebench OpenGL 33.97 fps / CPU 8.58 pts

HT On
Geekbench 14208

Cinebench OpenGL 27.29 / CPU 9.19 pts

i expected a little more for the 3930k, arround 17-18k :? I've seen 2600K with better results.

thanks for the benchs

I wouldn't be surprised-- this is BARELY supported yet. In fact, it's not supported... it's a kluge. And the OP said he had HT off. With HT on, and full support, I bet we'll be seeing 20K out of this CPU/MOBO, specially when over clocked....

I am running at 4.8Ghz. 120x40 I'm surprised Leopard is running as good as it is with all the chipset hardware being unidentified. Actually, I was quite surprised it booted at all. In Windows, I'm seeing 10-20% improvement over the 2600k I was running previously.

MacMend said:
Must be frustrating. Hope the RAM solves the problem.

It didn't, and I didn't think it would. The motherboard seems to be fried for some reason, so Gigabyte's going to do an advanced replacement for me. Now for some more waiting...

Grrrr...

jasonvp said:
MacMend said:
Must be frustrating. Hope the RAM solves the problem.

It didn't, and I didn't think it would. The motherboard seems to be fried for some reason, so Gigabyte's going to do an advanced replacement for me. Now for some more waiting...

Grrrr...

:banghead: :beachball:

I think your geekbench score is to low.

i have seen a system running with windows 7, scores over 18 k. So i think your setup will get more power when its full supported by OSX?

I have heard some rumors about new drivers in 10.7.3 update. Maybe for the new 2012 mac pro.

:D

justruss said:
I wouldn't be surprised-- this is BARELY supported yet. In fact, it's not supported... it's a kluge. And the OP said he had HT off. With HT on, and full support, I bet we'll be seeing 20K out of this CPU/MOBO, specially when over clocked....

i agree

Man, I so want to upgrade my x58 hackintosh with a x79 machine(Asus P9X79, 3930K).
The thing is that i'm able to get about 200 US Dollars off the original price if i buy the components before the 21'st of December. But the uncertainty of it all is not encouraging?

What would you do in my situation? Should i buy it and hope the next mac pros use Sandy Bridge-e?

maffel said:
Man, I so want to upgrade my x58 hackintosh with a x79 machine(Asus P9X79, 3930K).
The thing is that i'm able to get about 200 US Dollars off the original price if i buy the components before the 21'st of December. But the uncertainty of it all is not encouraging?

What would you do in my situation? Should i buy it and hope the next mac pros use Sandy Bridge-e?

After playing with the x79 for a few weeks, I decided to sell it and go back to my 2600K. With both CPUs running at 4.8GHz, the difference in performance between the two was minimal. I'm waiting for Ivy for my next upgrade.

BobMc said:
After playing with the x79 for a few weeks, I decided to sell it and go back to my 2600K.... snip
Thank you BobMC for trying... so it appears the Asus board may be the one to go with (maybe?)

BobMC - did you do anything "special"/out of the ordinary to get it working? different settings, steps, etc?

Lastly, has anyone else tried that board? Preferably with 10.6?

I am working on a project right now and need the cores and and need the RAM (for large numbers of VMs).

So any updates to this thread from previous posters ( or new ) would be greatly appreciated....

Tazmo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back