Contribute
Register

i7 3930K LGA 2011 Processor

Status
Not open for further replies.
jasonvp said:
Octavean said:
Still I think the ASUS P9X79 Pro (and other ASUS boards) have a better feature set,..

I like the fact that the ASUS boards have 8 DIMM slots vs the 4 on the Gigabyte motherboard. That and they seem to have better cooling options than Gigabyte does as well. My understanding though is that ASUS uses the VIA USB 3 controller. According to what I've read here, VIA USB 3 controllers aren't supported under OS X. So you'd end up with all of those nice USB 3 ports on your motherboard that you couldn't use.

The Gigabyte GA-X79-UD5 has 8 DIMM slots which is one of the reasons I was thinking about that board.

Octavean said:
The Gigabyte GA-X79-UD5 has 8 DIMM slots which is one of the reasons I was thinking about that board.

Well son of a gun, I missed that one completely. Good catch.

im watching this thread if the new mac pros dont come out soon ill be pulling the trigger on this once its operational.

I'll let everyone know how my build goes. I just pulled the trigger on the Gigabyte MoBo, the 3930K processor, 16G of RAM, and other associated hardware. I'm going to use SATA drives I already have as well as my PNY nVidia Quadro 4000 video card.

Just subscribed this post.
Have a Gigabyte X58-UD7, using it as a DAW in my studio. I am waiting on: a processor price drop for an upgrade with the soon extinct 1366 or moving to the new 2011 if it works. The Gigabyte X79 UD5 would be my choice as well.
From my part I thank you.

Z.

I am going to buy this CPU around Xmas, hope we will have a DSTD for UD5 by then. if that works it's gonna be faster than most of the Mac Pros. 12 threads/32GB RAM!!

hmm i want to buy this sixcore to, but i gonna wait intil it will be full supported by Apple.

cant wait to see it running osx!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back