Contribute
Register

i7 3930K LGA 2011 Processor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doc

Joined
Mar 19, 2011
Messages
3
Motherboard
ASUS P6TD
CPU
I7 965
Graphics
Nvidea GT9600
Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
Hey
I have been able to get a mostly working lion system (audio, lan, usb3.0) with

Crucial M4 SSD
ASUS p9x79
i7-3930K
32 GB G.skill DDR3 1600 MHZ (Ripjaw series)
EVGA GTX460
Optiarc DVD


Installed with Unibeast, multi beast (lion edition), and updated to 10.7.2. No working wireless or bluetooth (yet.. I see others have at least gotten bluetooth up with atheros kext.. BTW, which atheros kext??).

What I really want to do is use an XFX 6950 with this board, and I follow other threads who claim to have working 6950, but nothing seems to work with the XFX 6950 combined with this motherboard. Anyone out there found a way to use the HD6950 with this motherboard yet?
 
Joined
Apr 16, 2010
Messages
43
Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
Doc said:
What I really want to do is use an XFX 6950 with this board, and I follow other threads who claim to have working 6950, but nothing seems to work with the XFX 6950 combined with this motherboard. Anyone out there found a way to use the HD6950 with this motherboard yet?

+1 on this. I'm just starting to buy parts for a system I'm going to build. Going to have Win 7 and hopefully OS X and am planning on using this CPU/Mobo combo. But I'd prefer to go with ATI 6xxx card. Hopefully a 6950/6970 if it will work.
 
Joined
Jan 28, 2010
Messages
232
Motherboard
ASUS X99-E WS
CPU
E5-2697 V3
Graphics
GTX 760
Doc said:
Hey
I have been able to get a mostly working lion system (audio, lan, usb3.0) with

Crucial M4 SSD
ASUS p9x79
i7-3930K
32 GB G.skill DDR3 1600 MHZ (Ripjaw series)
EVGA GTX460
Optiarc DVD


Installed with Unibeast, multi beast (lion edition), and updated to 10.7.2. No working wireless or bluetooth (yet.. I see others have at least gotten bluetooth up with atheros kext.. BTW, which atheros kext??).

What I really want to do is use an XFX 6950 with this board, and I follow other threads who claim to have working 6950, but nothing seems to work with the XFX 6950 combined with this motherboard. Anyone out there found a way to use the HD6950 with this motherboard yet?

For Bluetooth all I did was install the drivers in Windows from ASUS support for this motherboard. I rebooted into OS X and bluetooth was detected and working about 90% of the time since then.

I think the USB3 kext is wonky though---I think it is only semi-functional at best and might just remove it until it gets re-worked.

The only person I have seen with the 6950 it Netkas and he has the required ATY_Init linked in the post about it on his website and one other file: http://netkas.org/?p=959

He did the 6970, but I think they are identical as far as drivers go.
 

Doc

Joined
Mar 19, 2011
Messages
3
Motherboard
ASUS P6TD
CPU
I7 965
Graphics
Nvidea GT9600
Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
Re: i7 3930K LGA 2011 Processor Asus p9x79 deluxe

I have not been able to get Netkas method to work.. Could be I am missing something. Anyway, it gets stuck at the spinning wheel of death on boot with the 6950 installled. Even if I try booting from the unibeast stick I get the spinning wheel of death... I hear there is a chance that 10.7.3 might support the 6900 series cards. For now I have W7 running and waiting to find a fix for the 6950. This porcessor and board are phenomenal for CS5. I will give a few more try's. Even Netkas says the 6950 card is not ready for prime time.. If someone finds a solution, please let me know!
 
Joined
Oct 28, 2010
Messages
22
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Designare
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi,

Just got my P9X79 WS yesterday. I cloned the Snow Leopard drive of a previous build (gigabyte X58-Ud3 / i7-950) with Carbon Copy Cloner and booted into it (on the X79) with R-Boot. I installed the latest snow leopard version of Multibeast (Easybeast installation, no DSDT). I already had most of the required kexts installed. I then installed the network and sound kexts recommended by Maleorderbride. The Voodoo installer would not work in Snow so I copied the VoodooHda kext from the package and manually installed it. I have a GTX460 video card and I downloaded the Quadro drivers from Nvidia and it works great. I haven't gotten around to dealing with USB 3.0.

The system runs great, overclocked to 4.6 gig (had to turn speedstep off in bios). I'll try my Pro-Tools cards and Universal Audio DSP card today. I think this is going to be a very nice audio workstation.

Asus P9X79 WS
Intel 3930K
Evga GTX 460 1 gb
32 gigs GSkill Ripjaws 2133 ram
OCZ Vertex 120 gig SSD
2 2 Gig 7200rpm Hitachi Deskstars
OCZ 700 watt power supply
Ninja Skythe heatsink
Cooler Master high airflow case

Thanks to everyone on this thread for all the great info.

Mick
 
Joined
Oct 28, 2010
Messages
22
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Designare
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
polobear said:
Nice...Congrats Mickguz.
Another build up and running. What is your cinebench and geekbench score at 4.6?

Geekbench 32 bit 19,760 - 20,235

Cinebench 13,216 / 41.9 fps (In windows, CPU scores the same but OpenGl scores 60fps, probably more efficient Nvidia drivers in Windows)

I'm having trouble running Pro-Tools overclocked when running sessions with a large number of tracks. I'm suspecting HPET. Runs great at stock speed though. I'll try a small overclock. (about 3.8 - 4 gigs tomorrow). No problems with PCI-E expansion slots.

Mick
 
Joined
Oct 28, 2010
Messages
22
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Designare
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
polobear said:
Wow...
Nice stats. OsX seems to be more demanding when it comes to overclocking and stability. My 1366 Rig is rockstable under windows @4,1 GHz and kernelpanicking under Snowleopard. Same system is fine @ 3,8.
Intel will release a new stepping, hopefully next week.
http://www.pcgameshardware.de/aid,85920 ... /CPU/News/

The CPU is hard to get in Germany. So I will wait for the new stepping. And Gigabyte had some problems with the x79 mainboards too. Better to buy Asus.

Hi,

The overclocking seems to work ok with everything but pro-tools. I wonder if timing is very critical because of the number of simultaneous streams that need to be processed in real time. I'm going to experiment with this some more today.

Mick
 
Joined
Jan 25, 2011
Messages
11
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
[/quote]

Hi,

The overclocking seems to work ok with everything but pro-tools. I wonder if timing is very critical because of the number of simultaneous streams that need to be processed in real time. I'm going to experiment with this some more today.

Mick[/quote]

Hi Mick,
From what I read you have a DAW and UAD.
I am dead tired on waiting for the new MacPro.
Do you work on or have a Studio? If so I am REALLY interested in your build.
On what PT are you PT10 HD? no HDX?
Have you tried Logic 9.1.6 yet? on SL, Lion?
I have a Studio work with Logic pro 9 and am planing to get PT10 Native (with CPTK), or HDX. And getting an RME HDSPe AES interface for replace my FW one.
Could you please give me more details on the Audio parts? You can PM me it you want.
Z.
 
Joined
Jan 28, 2010
Messages
232
Motherboard
ASUS X99-E WS
CPU
E5-2697 V3
Graphics
GTX 760
mickguz said:
polobear said:
Wow...
Nice stats. OsX seems to be more demanding when it comes to overclocking and stability. My 1366 Rig is rockstable under windows @4,1 GHz and kernelpanicking under Snowleopard. Same system is fine @ 3,8.
Intel will release a new stepping, hopefully next week.
http://www.pcgameshardware.de/aid,85920 ... /CPU/News/

The CPU is hard to get in Germany. So I will wait for the new stepping. And Gigabyte had some problems with the x79 mainboards too. Better to buy Asus.

Hi,

The overclocking seems to work ok with everything but pro-tools. I wonder if timing is very critical because of the number of simultaneous streams that need to be processed in real time. I'm going to experiment with this some more today.

Mick

Did you set your busratio in your kernel flags? I had audio de-sync issues until I did so.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top