MSI GTX 970
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Howdy folks

I have a build that I'm planning to upgrade to Mojave. Off the top of my head I can't remember which OS X version is currently on there, but it's a few years old and I suspect it's easier to do a fresh install.

It's a 3770k with Gigabyte GA-Z77-DS3H, a compatible Startech firewire card and a TP-Link WiFi card.

Having searched the forum it looks like everything should work, although some people have had difficulty getting the integrated graphics to work. I do have a GTX 650 but would prefer to use integrated if possible.

Is anyone successfully running a similar build or encountered any issues with this setup? Can I just follow the most up to date guide for installing Mojave?

From memory there was a revision 1.0 and a revision 1.1 version of the motherboard - I *think* that the difference was the audio codec. HD4000 graphics should be no problem at 1080P screen resolution. There is an issue with some of the older and popular TP-Link wifi cards - there is a workaround that you should find posted in the Network section of the forum.

As a general rule using the Mojave guide will get you up and running just fine.

Good to know, thanks. I'll be sure to look up the BIOS revision and WiFi card workaround.

I'm planning to drive a 2K display - the spec says that should be fine, but is there any reason I would have issues above 1080p? I'm not planning on gaming or anything graphically intensive as it's a music production PC.

I'm planning to drive a 2K display - the spec says that should be fine, but is there any reason I would have issues
You'll need Lilu and Whatevergreen installed to /L/E. Use kextbeast to install them. WEG should take care of everything. So don't Inject Intel in your config.plist.

You'll need Lilu and Whatevergreen installed to /L/E. Use kextbeast to install them. WEG should take care of everything. So don't Inject Intel in your config.plist.
Thanks for the input, I'll keep that in mind when I come to do the upgrade. Good to know that it should work.

Has this changed with Mojave? Pretty sure I used to run one 1440p screen on HD4000 with nothing special.

Has this changed with Mojave? Pretty sure I used to run one 1440p screen on HD4000 with nothing special.
Using WEG is not mandatory for Mojave but it's certainly worth using. See the Github page for everything it does when installed to /L/E with the Lilu kext. If adding an AMD or Nvidia card, then I'd consider it mandatory.

Using WEG is not mandatory for Mojave but it's certainly worth using. See the Github page for everything it does when installed to /L/E with the Lilu kext. If adding an AMD or Nvidia card, then I'd consider it mandatory.

I'm aware of its requirement for using AMD cards, but have successfully used both onboard HD4000 and Nvidia GT710 for extended periods of time successfully without it, including audio. I did review the Github page again but am not sure what was relevant to either of those graphics cards. I don't like installing things blindly without understanding in some capacity their actions.

I don't like installing things blindly without understanding in some capacity their actions.

@phrozenpenguin,

If you want to understand Lilu + WhatEverGreen have a look at this guide :-

Cheers
Jay

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back