Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z77x-UP5 TH
CPU
i7-3770K
Graphics
GTX 650 Ti
I have been running Slugnet's Video Editor ( https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...geforce-gtx-660-ti.70530/page-58#post-2028145 ) for the past 7 years. It has been excellent but the time is coming in the near future that I need to upgrade to a faster computer. The main issue is it only allows 32gb of ram and the Adobe programs I use to edit photos are eating all up. I have updated the computer to a RX580 graphics card which helped some.

I've looked into the i9 9900k a little bit. Do any of the motherboards allow you to run 128gb ram? Just curious because the iMac Pros allow 128 & 256gb of ram. I'd like to upgrade and hopefully get a minimum of 5 years out of the system. I am in no rush at the moment, & will keep my current Hackintosh up and running even if I do build a new computer.

I am not 100% sure but I would guess you would be ok with just 64gb but yes z390 motherboards support unto 128gb depending on the CPU installed. I do some fairly heavy rendering stuff and I rarely max out my memory, unless I am working with point cloud and even then I would likely end up maxing out 256gb if I didn't close some windows every now and again.

I have been running Slugnet's Video Editor ( https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...geforce-gtx-660-ti.70530/page-58#post-2028145 ) for the past 7 years. It has been excellent but the time is coming in the near future that I need to upgrade to a faster computer. The main issue is it only allows 32gb of ram and the Adobe programs I use to edit photos are eating all up. I have updated the computer to a RX580 graphics card which helped some.

I've looked into the i9 9900k a little bit. Do any of the motherboards allow you to run 128gb ram? Just curious because the iMac Pros allow 128 & 256gb of ram. I'd like to upgrade and hopefully get a minimum of 5 years out of the system. I am in no rush at the moment, & will keep my current Hackintosh up and running even if I do build a new computer.

Z390 motherboards with updated BIOS support using 4 sticks of 32GB DDR4 RAM for a total of 128GB RAM. However, you may have trouble finding 32GB DDR4 RAM sticks as they are still not widely available. At my location (not US) there are none.

Previous X99 motherboards and current X299 motherboards have 8 RAM slots which allow them to support 128GB RAM (8 16GB DDR4 RAM sticks).

Last edited:
Z390 motherboards with updated BIOS support using 4 sticks of 32GB DDR4 RAM sticks for a total of 128GB RAM. However, you may have trouble finding 32GB DDR4 RAM sticks as they are still not widely available. At my location (not US) there are none.

Previous X99 motherboards and current X299 motherboards have 8 RAM slots which allow them to support 128GB RAM (8 16GB DDR4 RAM sticks).

Thank you for the response. I'll look into 32gb DDR4 RAM Sticks. I was looking at blouse's "Hack Pro" and was interested in that. Link: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...orus-pro-vega-64-tb3-usb3-100-working.264948/

Would I have to do anything other than have updated BIOS?

I am not 100% sure but I would guess you would be ok with just 64gb but yes z390 motherboards support unto 128gb depending on the CPU installed. I do some fairly heavy rendering stuff and I rarely max out my memory, unless I am working with point cloud and even then I would likely end up maxing out 256gb if I didn't close some windows every now and again.

I am sure I would be OK with 64gb but want to build a system that will last years. I'm almost at 8 years on my current hackintosh and thought 32gb would be plenty.

I have i7 3770, 32GB RAM and about the same mileage. 64GB sounds like a plenty for me personally. The only thing I'm considering is whether to wait for new CPU gen or not(am in no rush either).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back