Graphics
R9 280
Mac
  1. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Hi,

Having great difficulties upgrading to High Sierra. Spent 15 hours on it yesterday and got no where.

My build is listed correctly but basically:

I7-3770K | GA-Z77X-UP5-TH | RX 280x | 32 Gb RAM | Samsung 850 EVO SATA system drive

BIOS

I start https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...gabytes-7-series-lga-1155-motherboards.63276/ with the BIOS basics for a Series 7 then I followed Stork’s BIOS notes to the letter. Using modded BIOS f12j from Tweaktown. Stork’s BIOS See https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...-build-i5-3570k-ga-z77x-up5-th-gtx-760.73112/

BIOS Set-up
clip_image001.png
Boot the computer into the BIOS and change the BIOS[/U] by doing the following (see the User Manual for more information):

clip_image001.png
Load the Optimized Settings;
clip_image001.png
If you're using memory supporting XMP, then set the XMP to Profile 1 to set the correct memory parameters (M.I.T. > Advanced Memory Settings);
clip_image001.png
Check your BIOS for the settings that thelostswede showed in his article;
clip_image001.png
In addition to thelostswede's BIOS setup, apply these BIOS settings to allow sleep/wake-up to operate properly, and USB ports to act correctly after wake-up (thanks to arehep - see his post here):

XHCI Pre-Boot Driver = Enabled
XHCI Mode = Auto -> Sleep/wake-up works better set to Auto
Internal CPU PLL Over-voltage = Disable

clip_image001.png
For the UniBeast installation of Sierra and running the MultiBeast for Sierra configuration, set the Boot Option #1 to the UniBeast USB drive (BIOS Features > Boot Options Priorities);
clip_image001.png
For HD4000, ensure the Internal Graphics is set to Enable and the Internal Graphics Memory Size to 32MB since Yosemite allocates the HD4000 memory size needed (Peripherals); and
clip_image001.png
Save the BIOS settings and exit (F10) to boot into the UniBeast USB drive.

I also never overclock CPU during installs. I have profiles set up for OC, Install etc. Sierra SSD install has r4586 clover (what a pain that was but fixed the no boot error) and using latest Clover configurator if that means anything.

Short point version of attempts:

1. Tried direct install from Sierra after installing latest apfs.efi into drivers 64UEFI. Verbose logging gave “MACH restart” error. Tried both a no update APFS and normal update to APFS.

2. Tried USB install created with latest Unibeast. Multiple efforts stalled and failed. One attempt nearly finished. USB2 always in back panel USB 2 port. Tried both … multiple times.

So the USB install errors went like this:

· Got stuck on grey screen couldn’t see GUI to install High Sierra. Eventually realised it may be on 2nd blank screen.

· Tried again without 2nd screen attached. Got to point of 2nd reboot. Stated 41 minutes to go … seemed to reboot … then despite BIOS set to boot off USB went to windows. Cannot boot off that USB stick at all now ???

· Created 2nd USB install stick … same as above.

· Recreated 2nd USB … tried using HD3000 on board graphics. Got no where … tried clean install onto spare SSD. Nothing worked :(

Interestingly during the first reboots when they occured I never got to see an option of what device to boot off ... just straight to the white Apple logo and the 41 minutes ... then reboot.

I’m sorry I didn’t get take photos of the verbose but it seemed I was getting somewhere … then no where. Verbose also disappears on the reboots. By 1:30AM I was over it all. In the end I was able to boot back into Sierra as if nothing had happened (well nothing but frustration). Whilst I consider myself competent I'm certainly no coder but I've had operating hacks since Mavericks with no where near this level of issues.

I have attached both a zipped EFI folder containing the config.plist and the config.plist separately. I have removed various Serial numbers etc for privacy reasons. They all check out as not being used with real macs … despite Imessages not working.

I was hoping someone could have a look and see if there is anything I am missing or haven’t seen.

What I am hoping to achieve is a NON APFS update onto the Samsung SSD to then migrate to an 970 EVO with APFS when that arrives.

Any help greatly appreciated ... Thanks in advance. If any other information is required please advise.

Westie

Attachments

• Westsurf EFI.zip
    21.9 MB · Views: 88
  • config.plist
    5.6 KB · Views: 189
Last edited:
Remove kexts from /EFI/CLOVER/KEXTS/OTHER, replace with latest FakeSMC.kext (no need for plugins) + Ethernet kext. Fill out serial numbers or remove from the attached config.plist, try installing again (discrete graphics). Press F2 at the Clover GUI to save preboot.log to /EFI/CLOVER/MISC

Attachments

• config.plist
    2.2 KB · Views: 193
Sorry for the questions but ...

1. I am assuming you mean remove kexts from current Sierra SSD system disks EFI?
  2. Use the attached config.plist on Sierra drive?
Finally, the uploaded .plist seems very sparce. Is that all I need after I fill out the serial numbers?

Thanks for your help.

I'm assuming to try again this evening (being approx 4 hours from now).

Cheers

Last edited:
Well ... boots to Sierra amazingly quickly now. Decided to upgrade directly from Sierra.No APFS option.

Still didn’t like dual screens during install. Removed one screen (Graphics has MDp out, HDMI out and DVI. DVI has shown screen artefacts for a while. Use MDp for install) Furthest I’ve gotten with install. Apple logo. Status bar ... and it has installed, so thanks to Vulgo for that, but ... with a few issues.

First issue is that after plugging in the 2nd screen via HDMI it refuses to start. OSX recognises it as my original boot screen becomes the 2nd screen and as such I can't see the majority of the desktop I need. So ATM I am stuck with one screen and have to disconnect one to see the screen with the login. Tried to connect via DVI and same issue.

Also no audio ATM either.

Always starts in verbose mode.

Going to try a few things re the screen.

Sorta a win I guess ... :(

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back