Contribute
Register

i7 2600k and Corsair H100. A few questions...

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I've got the system up and running. Window and OSX both booting off separate drives and everything is working as expected. As always thanks so much Tony and MacMan. Also thanks to everyone who helped answer my questions. I've got the system running very stable at 4.5 GHz right now with temps topping out right around 60C on prime95 torture test. I might look to go up a little further, but I think I will do a lot more reading before I try pushing it up much past 4.5. Hopefully I will post some pics of my completed system soon in the user builds.

The H100 can be quietened if you have money to throw at it and quiet is a big deal, it's why some people buy iMacs, right? If you have made your own case, you can quieten that pump a little by mounting the motherboard on silicon grommets, fitting sound-deadening paneling to the case walls to dampen noise, and so on. More practically, the fans can be changed out for quieter but the point is, it's not cheap. There seems to be some consensus that for replacements the Cougar fans are quieter than the Gentle Typhoons. A quick search on Youtube bought this up http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbH1mhZWRn8 He's using four of them in a push-pull configuration, which seems a little bit overkill on a H100.

I have thought about buying the H100 but will likely go for a XSPC Rasa 750 RX240 proper water-cooling kit. It's a lot of money at £170 but the thick radiator means I can stick with slow-turning fans and keep the noise levels as low as possible. If you follow Tinytomlogan on Youtube you'll notice he has fitted his H100 with what look to me to be Noctua fans. As Tom keeps saying, he comes to water-cooling from the angle of quiet rather than absolute performance and in his earlier review of the H100 he mentions the fan noise at full. I'm not sure how he is controlling fan speed on the Noctuas. He has Corsair as a sponsor, it appears, so it's interesting that he changed out the fans on his very visible test rig, despite that.

Be careful, quieter fans generally mean lower CFM and lower cooling performance.

What did you set your voltages at to overclock to 4.5ghz? So just three settings correct? change the multiplier
adjust the voltage
turn off turbo

flyfishin4trout said:
What did you set your voltages at to overclock to 4.5ghz? So just three settings correct? change the multiplier
adjust the voltage
turn off turbo

Try this simplest setting:

Multiplier: 45
load-line: level 7
vcore: 1.35
everything is auto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back