Graphics
550ti
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I can only overclock my system to 4.6 or 4.7Ghz, any higher and i get the mac you need to restart your computer warning. is there something i need to do different? all i'm doing now is changing the cpu multiplier.

Suggest you read up on overclocking. There are limits, and it would appear that you have found one. Also, overclocking Sandy Bridge CPUs is different than with previous CPUs using the bus speed method.

Besides, most people would be happy with a 40% overclock. Have you tested system stability when overclocked?

I thought i saw somewhere on another post someone had got there 2500k to 5Ghz. I have a liquid cooling system so heating is no issue. At 4.6Ghz my system has no issues. My system starts up fine at 4.8 but just gets stuck at the first osx screen so I thought it might be an OS thing.

Dont overclcok unless you do it in windows. You need to run stress tests and monitor temps, after you know your stable in Windows flip back to mac. You might burn up your new chip, and it wont be covered under warranty if you do.

It is a stablity issue. A corsair H60 or similar isn't any better then a good air cooler. the only way to know if your stable is to run and monitor tests in Windows.

I have an Antec Kuhler 920. At 99% CPU 4.2Ghz I don't get higher than 47 degrees C.

Well those temps are great, now figure out the voltage it take to run 5.0. Probably your not having temp issues but a voltage issue. At a certain point your voltages need increased.

I run my 2600k @ 4.5 with 1.29 volts I would need a better cooler to push further.

I have the Vcore Voltage set to auto... this won't automatically adjust to the required voltage after boot? In my bios it say's I'm running around 1.312V when I'm at 4.2Ghz. MSR tools show the correct speed, but only a voltage of 0.7.

I've gotten mine as high as 5.5, stable, but I had to do a lot more messing around with voltage than I was comfortable with.

guitfiddle said:
I thought i saw somewhere on another post someone had got there 2500k to 5Ghz.
Every system is different. Just because someone gets 5GHz does not mean everyone will
guitfiddle said:
I have the Vcore Voltage set to auto... this won't automatically adjust to the required voltage after boot?
Voltage will be at "stock" settings. This voltage provides stable operation at stock speeds. When overclocked there is usually a point where this no longer works. Then....you have to manually set the voltage higher to maintain stability.

I repeat my earlier statement - Read up on overclocking!

Run the various standard tests that stress your system to ensure you have a stable overclock. If you continue to just target speeds that someone else has attained, be it 5GHz or even the 5.5GHz that cowfodder has attained, you are risking damage to your system.

Google is your friend.

I read some posts and articles before starting this topic. Just wasn't getting the answers I was looking for and thought I'd ask the community so I could get a better idea of where to look and what to look for. I'll still have to do some deeper digging. Thanks everyone so far for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back