Contribute
Register

i5/GA-P55-UD3R with F6 BIOS - anyone had success?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I have a Core i5-750 with a Gigabyte GA-P55-UD3R and have been running in to a lot of problems, which has driven me to upgrade to the latest F5 BIOS. I am wondering if anyone out there has had success with F5?

Re: i5/GA-P55-UD3R with F5 BIOS - anyone had success?

GB P55 UD3/F5 here, everythin runs smooth. Provide more details plz.

with F4, I had a fully working SL 10.6.2 - my problem was that it would crash after playing 15-20 minutes of Quicktime video, namely the Steve Jobs/iPad keynote off the Apple site

that prompted me to go for BIOS F5

I have been stuck for weeks trying to get F5 working. I have been through many, many iterations and frustration and wishing I had never attempted this in the first place. In the interim, Multibeast reared its head as well, and I have been trying that too.

The problem is that SL 10.6.2 would not boot off of the hard disk. It would always crash before fully initializing. I could get it to boot by using the TonyMACx86 P55 Boot CD, but in other posts, no one had an idea as to why that might be the case.

My latest status as of today is a bit less dire - I think I may have a bootable SL, finally.

I started from scratch, installed 10.6 off the retail DVD, and got a system that seemed to be stable with sound/ethernet both working. but, then I upgraded to 10.6.2, and got back to the non-bootable state, where I would get a hard crash somewhere in the SL initialization process, somewhere past NVEnabler

I then thought what changed between 10.6 and 10.6.2 - the kernel! so I used Multibeast to install the 10.0.0 modified kernel, and my system boots. This was not a problem when I was using BIOS F4, i did not have to go for the hacked kernel.

Also, I have been trying to make my system dual-boot Win7, and Win7 crashes consistently. It was running fine with BIOS F4. I suspect it has something to do with trying to boot off of a Mac-formatted GPT disk partition. I got Win7 to boot off of an external eSATA connected drive that was NTFS formatted

does anyone have any ideas for me?

You could always flash back to the F4 BIOS as it's still on the Gigabyte site http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/Moth ... #anchor_os

The thing is, once in a while you get a buggy BIOS, as no matter what, people slip up and that's possibly what's happened here. You might want to contact Gigabyte's support and letting them know you have problems with the new BIOS without specifically mentioning OS X.

I have reported problems to Gigabyte, focusing on the Win7 boot problem. They say they have no other reports and cannot reproduce my problems in the lab. They also alerted me to BIOS F6, which was just released a few days ago. I have updated to F6 now, but same result.

I do have a clue though, which I will go back to Gigabyte with on Monday -if I have an eSATA external drive connected, I boot beautifully and Win7 runs fine in dual-boot (using TMX's guide). If I have no eSATA, I get the consistent crash. weird.

As for OSX, I have a stable build now, but cannot get audio and sleep working. I have tried all the tricks that I know.

MultiBeast - installed ALC888 and P55-UD3R DSDT - no good
theSwede's ALC888 audio guide, used 4ins2outs + HDA headphone - no good
- Later, I also installed HDAenabler - still no good

These boards NEED to be set to Optimized Defaults after flashing the bios. Also try removing the battery from the mobo for about a minute, then putting it back. Then re-flashing the bios and setting Optimized Defaults. Then attempt testing.

tonymacx86 said:
These boards NEED to be set to Optimized Defaults after flashing the bios. Also try removing the battery from the mobo for about a minute, then putting it back. Then re-flashing the bios and setting Optimized Defaults. Then attempt testing.

I absoluted Load'ed Optimized Defaults after flashing the BIOS.

I am sending you a DSDT for UD3R BIOS F6. I will try your edits on that BIOS first, before going with this suggestion of reflashing the BIOS and loading Optimized Defaults again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back