Contribute
Register

i5-9600k and Asus Prime Z390-A incompatible??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asus ROG Maximus X Apex
CPU
Intel i7-8700k
Graphics
Gigabyte GTX 1080
Hi there,

Put an order on local Memory Express, but got a call a while ago, I was told both Asus/Gigabyte Z390 MBs don't support i5-9600K, and many returns due to that. They suggested to replace with MSI MB.
I really don't get the point, and I found the supported CPU on ASUS, which indicates that chip is supported since bios 1003.

Now I have two questions.
1. Is that really an issue to buy these combo as of today? Maybe I just need to upgrade the BIOS to latest 1502?
2. The MSI Z390 is not in our Buyer's guide. Could I use it? And should I expect many tiny glitches if so?

Thanks for reading!

Hi there,

Put an order on local Memory Express, but got a call a while ago, I was told both Asus/Gigabyte Z390 MBs don't support i5-9600K, and many returns due to that. They suggested to replace with MSI MB.
I really don't get the point, and I found the supported CPU on ASUS, which indicates that chip is supported since bios 1003.

Now I have two questions.
1. Is that really an issue to buy these combo as of today? Maybe I just need to upgrade the BIOS to latest 1502?
2. The MSI Z390 is not in our Buyer's guide. Could I use it? And should I expect many tiny glitches if so?

Thanks for reading!

I wonder who tell you that the i5 9600K is not compatible with Asus / Gigabyte Z390 motherboards?

It should not be an issue to use that motherboard with the i5 9600K. The Z390 chipset was designed to support 9th generation Intel CPUs like the i5 9600K out of the box. I use a Gigabyte Z390 motherboard with an i7 9700KF and the combo works fine.

MSI motherboards are not used by many people here (that may be why they are not in the Buyer's Guide as they are not tested) and so if you encounter a problem using them it may be more difficult to find a solution.

I wonder who tell you that the i5 9600K is not compatible with Asus / Gigabyte Z390 motherboards?

It should not be an issue to use that motherboard with the i5 9600K. The Z390 chipset was designed to support 9th generation Intel CPUs like the i5 9600K out of the box. I use a Gigabyte Z390 motherboard with an i7 9700KF and the combo works fine.

MSI motherboards are not used by many people here (that may be why they are not in the Buyer's Guide as they are not tested) and so if you encounter a problem using them it may be more difficult to find a solution.

Thank you for the answer.

That's tech staff in memory express called. And I have more details coming today. Maybe I'll try to test by myself.
"the FOXCONN sockets used by Asus/Gigabyte boards and it seems like the issue we’re having is when the 9600k is under intense load"

I couldn't find similar compaint on google, interesting, I'll test and see what's going on, and the last option might be an upgrade to i7. $$$, haha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back