Gigabyte Z170XP-SLI
CPU
Intel Core i7 6700k @4.0GHz
Graphics
Nvidia GTX 660Ti
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Hi there,

completely new to the Hackintosh commuinty so I am completely overwhelmed by the boat load of information there is and so I would like some very specific answers to see if my system would be compatible and viable as a hackintosh build.

So the story is back in 2012 when I was 16 I built the best gaming rig I could afford, the system specs are as follows:

CPU: Intel Core i5 3570k 3.4Ghz
Mobo: MSI Z77A-GD55 OCGenie II
GPU: Asus Direct 2 GTX 660ti
Ram: 8gb Crucial Ballistix (not sure on the speed think it was 1600, maybe more)

And now that I am 21 in university I need a rig for music production to aid my studies etc.

I'm looking to spend as least money as possible changing any parts to compatible ones with OS X.

So my questions are as follows:

- Can an i5 3570k based system run OS X Sierra (I don't want to be forced into using Mavericks or below)?
(I am confused by the compatibility list on websites such as OSx86 where my CPU isn't listed on compatible components with OS X Sierra but is only listed on the compatible components list with Mavericks and Mountain Lion, I don't know if this means it will not work with Sierra or not so some help here would be great.)

- I do not see my Motherboard listed on any compatibility lists, so I am accepting that that component will require a change, any suggestions on a good motherboard to go with the intel i5 3570k to run Sierra for programs such as Logic Pro X and Pro Tools 12?

- Will my GFX card also be compatible with Sierra and a 3570k in OS X?

- How easy is it to update a hackintosh when the next version of OS X comes?

If any of you could shed any light on these topics that would be really appreciated. I am quite tech savy so building the computer and installing OS X isn't something I am worried about at all. It is more compatibility and longevity issues that I am struggling to find answers for.

Many Thanks,
Tim

The 3570K will work with Sierra. Your motherboard has UEFI so you can boot UEFI with Clover. With a search of this site you'll find many that have gotten it fully working with older versions of OS X. Make sure your Unibeast installer is made for UEFI booting. I haven't tried a 660 Ti with Sierra but i don't see any reason why it wouldn't work. You can always do the install with the HD3000 graphics and then add in the 660 Ti later on. Makes things a little easier for a beginner.

I think that you should be good through another 1 or 2 versions of macOS after Sierra with your current hardware. The future is hard to predict though. Depends on what Apple does with macOS and what they continue to support. Welcome to the community and post any questions about the install in the Sierra Desktop Support forum.

Last edited:
The 3570K will work with Sierra. Your motherboard has UEFI so you can boot UEFI with Clover. With a search of this site you'll find many that have gotten it fully working with older versions of OS X. Make sure your Unibeast installer is made for UEFI booting. I haven't tried a 660 Ti with Sierra but i don't see any reason why it wouldn't work. You can always do the install with the HD3000 graphics and then add in the 660 Ti later on. Makes things a little easier for a beginner.

I think that you should be good through another 1 or 2 versions of macOS after Sierra with your current hardware. The future is hard to predict though. Depends on what Apple does with macOS and what they continue to support. Welcome to the community and post any questions about the install in the Sierra Desktop Support forum.

So you're saying that my system and all its components will run OS X Sierra?

So you're saying that my system and all its components will run OS X Sierra?
I don't see any detailed Sierra install guides for that board. That doesn't mean that it won't work. Just means that no one with that board has bothered to write up a guide for it. If you find a UEFI install guide for Yosemite or El Capitan on a system using that MSI board, you can follow one of those and should be successful with Sierra.

I don't see any detailed Sierra install guides for that board. That doesn't mean that it won't work. Just means that no one with that board has bothered to write up a guide for it. If you find a UEFI install guide for Yosemite or El Capitan on a system using that MSI board, you can follow one of those and should be successful with Sierra.

Would you recommend swapping the board for one that has been tried and tested before? Perhaps a Gigabyte one?

Would you recommend swapping the board for one that has been tried and tested before? Perhaps a Gigabyte one?
Make an installer and try it with that one first before going that route.

was there any luck? I have this cpu lying around and thinking of buying a mobo that works

CPU works fine with Asrock H77M-ITX MB, 16GB RAM, AMD 570 (Sapphire 4GB), and a few other simple parts. I'm presently running 10.4.4 and have no issues except turbo boost doesn't seem to work, so I'm stuck at 3.4 ghz. I haven't looked much and it could be simply some easy settings.

Does integrated graphic from this CPU HD 4000 works with Mojave?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back