Graphics
radeon hd 4850
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I am debating back and forth between these two processors because I am building a hackintosh for someone who won't be doing any heavy 3-D gaming. It will mainly be used for Internet, wordprocessing, photo editing, and movie watching. The difference in price for the system is about $65 (370 versus 435), which is significant given they are on a budget. I don't want to make them spend more money if the difference in day to day use is negligible. So far I have not seen many reviews or discussions comparing these two processors. The system already includes an SSD. I would favor the i5 given that I am going with the z77ma-g45 MSI board and would therefore have ability to overclock if needed, further future proofing the build. If you are curious here is my build so far:

CPU: 3225 vs 3570k - need HD4000
Mobo: MSI z77
HD: Kingston hyperx 120gig
RAM: GSkill ripjaw 4gb x 2
Case: cheapest microATX case from apex @ newegg (one with handle on top)
PSU: corsair cx430

I don't understand why you contemplate. The i3-3225 is plenty for regular non-gaming use, go with the 3225!

Also, I suggest a PicoPSU for that build. Always a good choice for systems without a dedicated GPU card.

Good luck :)

I agree with you, certainly the lower end processor is more than enough for the required tasks. However I'd like to know if the extra cost associated with the higher end processor would translate to any noticeable improvement in performance now, as well as provide some extra longevity for the system. Even if there was a small but noticeable difference and the computer gained an extra year of use I think that would be worth the extra $65. Of course longevity is always hard to predict and other components may fail before the CPU does, but has anyone used both of these processors enough to say that the i5 boots up a little bit faster or loads programs a little quicker? This may include some mild overclocking. If there's absolutely no real world difference other than benchmark program scores, then obviously I will opt for the i3.

I agree with you, certainly the lower end processor is more than enough for the required tasks. However I'd like to know if the extra cost associated with the higher end processor would translate to any noticeable improvement in performance now, as well as provide some extra longevity for the system. Even if there was a small but noticeable difference and the computer gained an extra year of use I think that would be worth the extra $65. Of course longevity is always hard to predict and other components may fail before the CPU does, but has anyone used both of these processors enough to say that the i5 boots up a little bit faster or loads programs a little quicker? This may include some mild overclocking. If there's absolutely no real world difference other than benchmark program scores, then obviously I will opt for the i3.

For every day use you wouldn't be able to tell the difference between them. Only if you start using benchmarking apps, and even then, there won't be much difference unless you OC the i5.

EDIT: Now that the Gigabyte ITX boards are out you might want to look at pairing the H77N with the i3 3225.

Hmmm, so i3 it is. So i5 is really just for gaming and what else? Video processing? Sounds too much of a price premium if you can't see it's benefits in general usage. Even mildly overclocked there's no difference?

In regards to the GA mini ITX boards, I'd love to use them but they are just so expensive. MSI board is $65 after rebate for me. Unless you can point me to a cheap ITX price, I can't afford it. Do they offer anything more in terms of features over the Z77ma-g45? I am building system to a price and trying to reserve budget space for more bang for buck add ons such as a regular HD when they run out of space on the SSD.

Btw, what are peoples recommendations for cheapest yet good Mac keyboard? Are windows keyboards fine? Does the magic trackpad replace a mouse or is it a specialty/gimmicky item?

Btw, what are peoples recommendations for cheapest yet good Mac keyboard? Are windows keyboards fine? Does the magic trackpad replace a mouse or is it a specialty/gimmicky item?

I use Apple aluminum keyboards on 2 hacks and a Logitech K750 on a third. All work fine. Don't know about the trackpad, as I have never owned one. Windows USB keyboards are OK and will work, you just have to remember that the ALT and Command (Windows Flag) keys are swapped on a Windows keyboard - instead of control - alt - command it would be control - command - alt

Just for anyone still wondering about such things, I went cheap on my first build (destined for HTPC after I've finished playing) and used an i3-3225 (build post probably coming this weekend).

This thing blows away my 2010 i7 MacBook Pro in Geekbench. And I've still got some tuning I can do on it (like I said, build post coming later). Now I'm really looking forward to what the i7-3770(K?) can do in my workstation build! :D

In short, the i3-3225 is no slouch.

Gigabyte GA-H61N-D2V + i3 3225 :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back