CPU
i5
Graphics
GTX 650 Ti
Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
So, the first time I tried the installation, I crossed a few hurdles and got it all working. What I didn't realise at the time was that the installation instructions are for making a Mackintosh and NOT a dual boot PC with windows on it as well.

So I started again, knowing that my PC uses UEFI, but for some reason, the existing Windows boots in BIOS.

First problem: When I try to create the USB drive, just as I had done successfully before, the results are quite different:
* It's supposed to take 10 minutes but it takes about 45.
* It creates two partitions. One is USB and the other is UEFI
* When I try it in the PC, and click on "Start OSX from USB", it does absolutely nothing, despite me trying every BIOS variable I can think of, and despite it working perfectly the first time.

What happened?

Ace.

So, the first time I tried the installation, I crossed a few hurdles and got it all working. What I didn't realise at the time was that the installation instructions are for making a Mackintosh and NOT a dual boot PC with windows on it as well.

So I started again, knowing that my PC uses UEFI, but for some reason, the existing Windows boots in BIOS.

First problem: When I try to create the USB drive, just as I had done successfully before, the results are quite different:
* It's supposed to take 10 minutes but it takes about 45.
* It creates two partitions. One is USB and the other is UEFI
* When I try it in the PC, and click on "Start OSX from USB", it does absolutely nothing, despite me trying every BIOS variable I can think of, and despite it working perfectly the first time.

What happened?

Ace.
I should add that I discovered that my PC has 2 HDDs, one WD and the other Seagate. The WD is the Windows 8.1 boot drive and boots quite happily when it is the only drive. My first installation of OSX was to the seagate. Quite successful, but I had to invoke the boot override to get it to boot if both drives were in action. Once I had don't that, the windows disk would never boot again.

Now I have a second version of Win 8.1 on the Seagate drive, and perhaps this is preventing the OSX installation.

Ace

The general recommendation is to install Windows and MacOS on separate disks, and you should make sure to temporarily disconnect any Windows disk before you start the MacOS installation, to prevent the MacOS installation program from messing with the Windows drive.

Thanks. I've learnt that the hard way but no harm done. Now I have to figure out why the boot drive isn't working.

Ace

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back