Contribute
Register

I think I need to change my system definition, advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UP4 TH LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel
CPU
Intel Core i7-3770K Ivy Bridge 3.5GHz (3.9GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel
Graphics
EVGA 02G-P4-2678-KR GeForce GTX 670 FTW 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook
  3. MacBook Air
  4. Mac mini
  5. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
I have been running my mac on Mtn Lion since I built it about a year ago. I have been using Mac Pro 3,1 definition. Yesterday I did a clean install of Mavericks and I have been having some little annoyances like my non Apple Airplay Audio devices aren't showing up and I have had some problems getting my network connection stable.

I was reading threads and realized maybe I need to be running a different system definition...? Here is my specs. Can someone advise me on what definition I should be running and why?

Many thanks!

System: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UP4 TH LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel
CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K Ivy Bridge 3.5GHz (3.9GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel
Graphics: EVGA 02G-P4-2678-KR GeForce GTX 670 FTW 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support
Case: Cooler Master HAF 912
Power: Corsair TX650
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16gb (2x8gb)
SSD: OCZ Vertex 4 256gb 2.5" SATA III
HDD: (2) Segate Barracuda 2TB 7200 RPM
Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 21

When Ive done builds in the past Ive always started by looking at which definition matches my hardware the best, or as close as possible.

If I had your setup, it would be a no-brainer.

You have an Ivy Bridge processor 3770 and GTX670 Nvidia GPU

The iMac13,2 definition would cover this well.

If you look at the specs for that machine, it has exactly the same processor, and GTX675MX GPU. Although the GPU isnt a 100% match its very close indeed.

I reckon 13,2 definition would be a very good place to start for your hardware.

As always though, backup anything you have before proceeding.

:)

That's good input. Anyone disagree with this or have something to add?

Also, I just change this via multibeast, yes? If it doesn't boot what's the easiest way to revert it?

I have another version of osx I can boot into so I can access it if something goes wrong.

If I can't do this with multibeast, then what do I do?

Thanks!!!

You can just change it with Multibeast yep; you should change your existing one first so its not overwritten.

If it goes terribly wrong (Which it shouldnt), then boot back into it using your Multibeast key and simply rename it back to the original and then reboot. Ive done this several times while checking out different definitions.

Sorry to sound simple but basically I can just load multibeast and choose a new system definition and not check off anything else and that's all?

What things should I look for once it loads with the new system definition? Added speed? Resolution of my network and airplay connection issues?

I always felt like my build should run a but faster than it seems to. That's why I ask.

Thanks again for the input.

Sorry to sound simple but basically I can just load multibeast and choose a new system definition and not check off anything else and that's all?

What things should I look for once it loads with the new system definition? Added speed? Resolution of my network and airplay connection issues?

I always felt like my build should run a but faster than it seems to. That's why I ask.

Thanks again for the input.

When I was changing the definitions for testing purposes, I used only Multibeast and nothing else.

My normal course of action is threefold like this :

1. Reboot the system, check the new definition was correctly shown in 'About This Mac'.

2. Look at the System Profiler and check each item in the hardware list to make sure it is still correctly recognised. Pay particular attention to your graphics and see if it is fully working.

3. Boot with -v and look at the system logs to see what, if any, error messages or warnings appeared. They mostly concerned the CPU and GPU where they were different to what I had.

For example, loading a definition where the original mac had a Radeon GPU when I had an nVidia one; that generated a message regarding AGPM (Apple Graphics Power Management).

Also, if I used a definition that had a different generation CPU, that caused warning messages too, although it still allowed the system to boot up.

Finally, if you use it, check power management/sleep etc. I dont personally use that though.

I need a suggestion for my hardware regarding the latest possible system definition, please.

GA-Z77X-UP5-TH | i7 3770K | GeForce GTX 780

I'm using Chimera (from MultiBeast) as the boot loader for my Yostmite 10.10.5 (14F2511) with system definition Mac Pro (Early 2008) at the moment. I can't load High Sierra from MAS with this definition.
I also have another Mac OS (ML, Mavericks (both with Chimera), El Cap (with Clover) on a separate HDDs. But all of them using this old system definition. What is the easiest way to make a backup to keep my current config on a save place?
Shall I change the boot loader (Chimera) or should I keep it?

Thank you for your support.
iBrezel

I need a suggestion for my hardware regarding the latest possible system definition, please.
iMac13,2
Shall I change the boot loader (Chimera) or should I keep it?
We recommend Clover as your default bootloader.
There is no support for El Capitan, Sierra and High Sierra with Chimera.

1st of all: Thank you.

If I want to keep Chimera for my running Yosemite: do I ned to backup something before I change the system definition or can I change this w/o high risk to get an unbootable system...?
We recommend Clover as your default bootloader.
There is no support for El Capitan, Sierra and High Sierra with Chimera.

On my El Cap I always use Clover and it works so far so good. I also have an old ML and this is the stablest system what I have: this is the one and only installation with error-free access to my Blu-Ray Drive; for all other installations the access fails

If I want to keep Chimera for my running Yosemite: do I ned to backup something before I change the system definition or can I change this w/o high risk to get an unbootable system...?
Read the posts above yours ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back