Graphics
NVidia GeForce GTX 560-Ti
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I had a perfectly working ML build two years back. A couple of months ago I decided to upgrade to yosemite. But wait, I was smart! I left the ML installation USB as is and installed yosemite from another USB just in case it didn't work out.. I first installed Yosemite using Chimera it worked OK but there was a problem. It only loaded in 800x600, any other display options didn't work with my monitor. That is wrong as I had it working 1280x768 using ML. Thankfully, the awesome community here directed me to SwitchResX, which fixed that.

Then I decided that I wanted iMessage so I tried installing Yosemite, but here is where I **** up. I installed the Chameleon boot loader over the ML USB, thinking that the Chimera Yosemite USB works fine. After many issues I finally get it to work as chimera did , using SwitchResXThen after a while, my computer started randomly freezing, and given enough time, logging out. After I logged in again it would say "A graphics problem has forced the computer to shut down". I couldn't even get iMessage to work (and I found out, at the time, that it was broken)

So I decided to wait a while and a few days ago, I decided to go back to the 'working' Chimera install. However, ever since I installed Chimera the computer has been painfully slow at anything I do.. Browse finder? Beach ball of death.. Import music into iTunes? Beach ball of death.. Open google on Safari? Beach ball.. Open my graphics software? Beach ball.. Try to force quit any of these? **** you I'm staying in the dock and not even allowing you to shut down. Oh and just for ****s and giggles my computer pops up with these red and green squares every once in a while (6 times in two days). I really don't know what to do at this point...

Is it the hard drives fault that things are slow? I heard seagate drives have issues..
Is it the graphics card itself? I've seen so many threads where the 560 Ti has been having these exact same issues...
Is it the graphics card driver? Nvidia didn't release any updates for the 560 Ti and Yosemite 10.10.1

I honestly have no idea what the problem is and I've run out of things that can help me, and I can't even restore it to ML because I erased the USB and tbh I want to use yosemite.

I've tried asking here
On ******
looking through all other hackintosh forums
Tried every single thing I found on google. http://i.imgur.com/3FzJsYy.png

I will do anything just to get this thing fixed... But please just anyone help me with anything.. I don't know what to do anymore..

Its almost certainly the GTX560 Ti that is the cause of most of the issues that you are having. The NVIDIA 5** series were changed by most users in Mavericks as machines running OS X were virtually unusable. There are only a handful of people still using these cards with OS X.

Have you tried to use the HD4000 graphics just to get a stable running installation either in Yosemite or Mountain Lion? Remember to change the graphics settings in the BIOS for the integrated graphics and the memory allocation should be 64mb. Boot using
Code:
 IGPEnabler=Yes
for Yosemite.

I think that may be the most useful answer I've gotten yet... The one I've been fearing the most, too.

I'm running now on the Intel graphics using the setting you suggested and it seems to be running smoothly. But Finder is still extremely slow when opening new folders.. Any ideas as to why that might be?

The hard drives are most likely not the problem since TRIM is enabled(and the SSD is not that slow) and I verified the disks. (Although verify disk permissions was greyed out, which according to a guide online, it should help)

Thanks btw for your answer. I really appreciate it.

I think that may be the most useful answer I've gotten yet... The one I've been fearing the most, too.

I'm running now on the Intel graphics using the setting you suggested and it seems to be running smoothly. But Finder is still extremely slow when opening new folders.. Any ideas as to why that might be?

Go into the Finder Preferences and under the "General" heading set the "New Finder windows show" to Desktop or Documents.

The hard drives are most likely not the problem since TRIM is enabled(and the SSD is not that slow) and I verified the disks. (Although verify disk permissions was greyed out, which according to a guide online, it should help)

Select the drive partition instead of the drive that you wish to repair the disk permissions on.

Thanks btw for your answer. I really appreciate it.

You are very welcome. When you are ready to consider replacing the GPU, then use the latest buyers guide and this to help make a decision on what the performance you wish to have in comparison to your GTX560 Ti (A GT750 is probably getting quite close and would actually work properly)
http://www.tonymacx86.com/graphics/...-right-now-hierarchy-chart-toms-hardware.html

Wait, I'm sorry but something's come up. While on safari (a frequent cause of crashing), the computer froze and I had to hard restart it. When I did, it showed the same graphics problem has been detected message.

I think I may have actually been running on the GPU, I can still see it in the "About my Mac". How do I check? (I booted with IGP Enabler=Yes though)

Wait, I'm sorry but something's come up. While on safari (a frequent cause of crashing), the computer froze and I had to hard restart it. When I did, it showed the same graphics problem has been detected message.

I think I may have actually been running on the GPU, I can still see it in the "About my Mac". How do I check? (I booted with IGP Enabler=Yes though)

Power down the computer and remove the power cord. Now remove the GPU before reconnecting the power cord and powering up the computer. Use
Code:
 IGPEnabler=Yes -f

Check that you have the latest version of Safari by using the App Store updates option. There has been issues with Safari on Yosemite. You may wish to try Firefox, Google Chrome or another browser for testing purposes.

Suggest running it like this for a few days to see how things work out.

About this Mac should detail the graphics being used. You can also use DPCIManager from here:
http://www.tonymacx86.com/basics/138280-os-x-configuration-tuning-utility-tools.html

OK, everytime I plug the display cable into the motherboard's port my computer boots up black. Anyway, I've moved past that. Hopefully I'll sell my 560Ti in a few weeks, and then I'll buy a 750. It's the most convenient option right now (excellent recommendation) all I want is something functional and anyway it's still an upgrade from the 560 Ti.

Finder is still slow although it's getting better is there any possibility that my hard drive is the source?

Other than that, I'll be downgrading to ML till I get the 750 because I have a huge project I need done this month, and I need a flawless rig. Thanks so much again people like you make me feel so thankful for an awesome community like this!

OK, everytime I plug the display cable into the motherboard's port my computer boots up black. Anyway, I've moved past that. Hopefully I'll sell my 560Ti in a few weeks, and then I'll buy a 750. It's the most convenient option right now (excellent recommendation) all I want is something functional and anyway it's still an upgrade from the 560 Ti.

Finder is still slow although it's getting better is there any possibility that my hard drive is the source?

Other than that, I'll be downgrading to ML till I get the 750 because I have a huge project I need done this month, and I need a flawless rig. Thanks so much again people like you make me feel so thankful for an awesome community like this!

What processor do you have? And for your graphics problem, you may have to resort to Intel HD Graphics (the integrated graphics included w/ the CPU), as it seems like your nVidia card is causing issues, as pointed out earlier.

It could just be spotlight indexing everything - there were instances of this happening in Mavericks to if I remember correctly. A fresh installation may resolve the issue. Here is a thread from Macrumors back in June when Yosemite was still only available to those with an Apple Development account.http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1740878
You are welcome. :thumbup:

Heyy remember me?? I decided I'd hold off upgrading since the install, while slow, was not a wreck. That was until this morning when my HD (the slow one remember?) just stopped showing up in finder. To fix this I thought maybe I'd play with the BIOS. Now the problem is I dont evem remembr what the settings looked like. so I just reset all the settings and readjusted them as instruced online. And now this has happened: http://www.tonymacx86.com/general-help/154864-bios-hard-drive-problem.html#post968224

When I set the SATA controller mode to IDE (default) it doesnt open up it just freezes with the blinking _ /\
But when i set it to ahci it opens up but without tht HDD in Finder

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back