Contribute
Register

I need wifi router recomendations (GB LAN and USB)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GA-Z77-DS3H
CPU
i5-3570K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
My old belkin is about to take a crap on me.

I'm looking for a new router under $100 if possible.

Some features I want it to have are:

4 port Gigabyte Ethernet
1 USB
decent range is a plus
reliability is a must of course.

I had used a D-Link DIR-655 for many years as the main wireless router in the house. I still use it as the primary router but now use an Airport Extreme for wireless.

The D-Link worked well, but here in Aust was only 2.4GHz and I could not get my hack laptop to connect at draft-n speeds at the time so bit the bullet and purchased an Extreme (I needed another g-bit switch anyway).

The D-Link has been pretty reliable, any issues were always corrected with a f/w update available. I've been running it for about 4 years now.

I use an Asus RT-N16 with TomatoUSB firmware. This router has two usb ports whereas one I use for my printer. You can also add an external HDD to the router and use as TimeMachine. But for that you have to do some modifications.
This router only supports 2,4 Ghz at 20/40 Mhz. For my 5GHz I use a Linksys WRT320N, as well with TomatoUSB, but I did also a mod and now this WRT320N is right now a Linksys E2000 router.

I can suggest these two routers (but only with TomatoUSB).

bwhinnen said:
I had used a D-Link DIR-655 for many years as the main wireless router in the house. I still use it as the primary router but now use an Airport Extreme for wireless.

The D-Link worked well, but here in Aust was only 2.4GHz and I could not get my hack laptop to connect at draft-n speeds at the time so bit the bullet and purchased an Extreme (I needed another g-bit switch anyway).

The D-Link has been pretty reliable, any issues were always corrected with a f/w update available. I've been running it for about 4 years now.

So how you like the Airport Extreme, I was looking at it today.. $179 price was the only thing keeping me from grabbing it

Huberer said:
I use an Asus RT-N16 with TomatoUSB firmware. This router has two usb ports whereas one I use for my printer. You can also add an external HDD to the router and use as TimeMachine. But for that you have to do some modifications.
This router only supports 2,4 Ghz at 20/40 Mhz. For my 5GHz I use a Linksys WRT320N, as well with TomatoUSB, but I did also a mod and now this WRT320N is right now a Linksys E2000 router.

I can suggest these two routers (but only with TomatoUSB).

Cool I didn't even know some routers had two usb ports. The price looks right.. Was Time Machine hard to setup over the wifi. I also wanted the USB port so I can share a single iphoto library between my hac and my macbook

The Airport Extreme does what I want it to works well where it is. It is used to take the gbit network into my lounge room, it has the primary HTPC connected to it, as well as the BD player and cable TV STB. It serves wireless out to the rest of the house and I have a 1TB external HD off of it that and use it for Time Machine.

I stream full bitrate (1:1 blu ray rips) 1080p media from a server to the HTPC without an issue, and stream music from my hack to a airport express connected wirelessly to the extreme. All is flawless. As far as using it as a router goes, no idea :)

I have heard that the new ones have increased speed in wireless as well as range, so it may be worth checking those out too.

I actually think the airport extreme is a good buy, the current model supports simulataneous dual channel, combine that with a home built airport card using the latest imac card and you can get really good connection speeds. Its also really stable, bridges wireless to router seamlessly. I have a powered usb splitter plugged in the usb port for the homemade time machine and printer. The best bit is it just magically talks to everything without any fuss. Not that you still need an adsl interface, I'm using the old router for that. adsl2+annex M

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back