Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi,
I am in real need of USB 3.0 right now.
LaCie's USB 3.0 adapter uses the small PCI express port, which my motherboard supports.

The only question is, if I buy it, will I be able to run it on my Hackintosh? what about on Mountain Lion?

thnx

if you buy the lacie usb card and it comes with OSX drivers, then yes it will work.

I need something guaranteed, so I'm fine with paying 60$ and it is working on all Mac versions, than paying 20$ and work my butt off to get it to work every time i do a format XD

$60 plus the fact you can only use LaCie drives with it. I.e. WD, Seagate, Toshiba and what not, won't work with it.
Besides, the cards are exactly the same in terms of hardware, the only difference is that LaCie has put a unique identifier on its cards that locks the driver to those cards.
But hey, it's up to you, but you're wasting a lot of money imho.
And if you want to spend that much, I'd recommend getting the HighPoint card instead, it's only $10 more and works with any external USB 3.0 drive http://www.amazon.com/RocketU-HighPoint-Dual-USB-3-0/dp/B005S7BC20

I´m still putting all my hopes in lion´s USB 3.0 support and hopefully VLI´s hub support that you´d mentioned in another thread. Just in case I would also consider a compatible card for USB 3.0, but it should also have internal brackets so I could connect my front USB ports to it. I haven´t found one yet, but you swede seem to have a wide market overview. May I ask for another recommendation? Thanks!

Well, considering Apple supports the Intel USB 3.0 controller... draw your own conclusions.
The VLI hubs aren't a problem either.

Afaik none of the four port cards work with OS X, simply because there are no drivers for any of the four port controllers.

Uh oh! That's a problem then.. Since I use WD!
Any guides for the hacked USB 3.0?

Install the drivers that's supplied with Multibeast, that's it.
But you need the specific controller I mentioned above and make sure you upgrade the firmware, there's a link here somewhere about how to do it on a bootable USB stick if you search.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back