Contribute
Register

I need Help on what to buy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All,

First time ever building a hackintosh, or a computer for that matter, so a little nervious.
I have gone onto the builders guide to see what to get but it just got to confusing so thought I would get someone to help me choose what would be best for what I need, that's where you come in ;o)

I need to try get this right on the first go as I live in Zimbabwe and will be having most of the parts shipped to me, which will take forever and is costly with our duties here, so not much room for error.

I would like to build as powerful mac as I can for around -+ US$2000 (including screen if possible) for mainly editing and graphic design. I had a look at the Mac Pro build, but have no clue which are the better components for what I want it for. I would love to be able to fit what ever into a BitFenix Prodigy (Black) Case as seen in image, but I don't see it available in the pro list. I really need this to be as powerful as possible but without breaking the bank or creating, glitches or issues.. just so I don't have to upgrade to soon.!

If someone could give me a list or options of what to order I would be most grateful..!

I might add that wifi is not essentially as I am right next to the router so can plug in, but would mind having it if there is space. Also may need mic & camera at a later date for skype etc..

Regards

DK

Attachments

• bitcase.jpg
    bitcase.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:
The Prodigy is availabe in 2 formats
1) miniITX into which you can build CustoMac Mini or MiniDeluxe or any variant of it but it has to be a miniITX motherboard
2) mATX called Prodigy-M into which you can make a CustoMac mATX (mATX motherboard)

The CustoMac Pro motherboard simply does not fit into the case.
Now you decide what is more important to you ... a Pro board or Prodigy case ?

Ok thanks for that info, definitely the board is more important, if I managed to find an Apple
G4 or G5 Case all should fit do you think?

The Prodigy is availabe in 2 formats
1) miniITX into which you can build CustoMac Mini or MiniDeluxe or any variant of it but it has to be a miniITX motherboard
2) mATX called Prodigy-M into which you can make a CustoMac mATX (mATX motherboard)

The CustoMac Pro motherboard simply does not fit into the case.
Now you decide what is more important to you ... a Pro board or Prodigy case ?

Hi All,

First time ever building a hackintosh, or a computer for that matter, so a little nervious.
I have gone onto the builders guide to see what to get but it just got to confusing so thought I would get someone to help me choose what would be best for what I need, that's where you come in ;o)

I need to try get this right on the first go as I live in Zimbabwe and will be having most of the parts shipped to me, which will take forever and is costly with our duties here, so not much room for error.

I would like to build as powerful mac as I can for around -+ US$2000 (including screen if possible) for mainly editing and graphic design. I had a look at the Mac Pro build, but have no clue which are the better components for what I want it for. I would love to be able to fit what ever into a BitFenix Prodigy (Black) Case as seen in image, but I don't see it available in the pro list. I really need this to be as powerful as possible but without breaking the bank or creating, glitches or issues.. just so I don't have to upgrade to soon.!

If someone could give me a list or options of what to order I would be most grateful..!

I might add that wifi is not essentially as I am right next to the router so can plug in, but would mind having it if there is space. Also may need mic & camera at a later date for skype etc..

Regards

DK

Well if you are handy with tools and really want an ATX motherboard in a Prodigy case, it can be done.

h3.jpg

Check out my project at: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/neilharts-prodigy-the-black-one-atx-in-a-mini-itx-case.85066/

Good modding,
neil

Your a legend... I may pic your brain a bit more as I go along if thats ok.!

Okay I did not pick up the scope of your question. The cost of shipping to Zimbabwe and related cost of import duty makes it much more difficult to advise.

You have access to the internet. Does Amazon and Newegg ship to you? Would it be more practical to purchase a built PC workstation?

As much of the material that would interest you originates in China and Taiwan, can you purchase direct, say from a Hong Kong online store?

Good modding,

neil

... for mainly editing and graphic design. ... I would love to be able to fit what ever into a BitFenix Prodigy (Black) Case...

Don't let the case limit the performance. You can get a good airflow ATX case for about $50 - $60 and it will only be slightly larger than the Fenix.

As for components:
Mobo: Z170 mobo, no PCI slots, 6 PCI-E slots (at least one PCI-E X16 (grphics) and one PCI-E X4 (NVME) with a few X1s) , Intel NIC, AC1150 audio codec, is the minimum to consider.

Case: mesh screen front panel that can take two or three 120mm or 140mm front fans; one, two or three 120mm or 140mm top fans (if it can take 2 or more top fans then chances are you can install a water radiator), a 120mm (preferably a 140mm) rear fan. When it comes to fans: Noctua. When it comes to air heat sink coolers: Noctua (like the NH-U14S).

I only do Seasonic power supplies, 650W or better. Read all the reviews on whatever PSU you are considering.

I take it you meant "video editing", in which case it will probably depend on the program, with one favouring nVidia graphics card and the other favouring AMD/Radeon video cards.

If you go with an i7 6700K (which usually means using a "Z" board,) you'll probably want a single kit of 64GB of DDR4 3200. Compare the prices for RAM for each mobo, one may cost less and another may not be able to use the higher performing tighter tolerance faster timing RAM.

Okay I did not pick up the scope of your question. The cost of shipping to Zimbabwe and related cost of import duty makes it much more difficult to advise.

You have access to the internet. Does Amazon and Newegg ship to you? Would it be more practical to purchase a built PC workstation?

As much of the material that would interest you originates in China and Taiwan, can you purchase direct, say from a Hong Kong online store?

Good modding,

neil

Amazon and I think Newegg wont ship to Zimbabwe which would mean I would have to have it shipped to family in South Africa then have it sent here, paying import duty twice, I can try source it in South Africa I guess. I have had stuff shipped from China before so that could be an option, just never sure if i am going to get an original product, let me look into that.

Bare in mind, I am not a great techi guy so still starting to learn what all these parts are.. yes, I could quite possibly buy a built unit, but then I would not have learnt anything about it how to assemble and understand the machine, so when it crashes or something goes wrong I wont know much on what the problem is. Considering where I am located having someone repair it or just finding parts can be an issue, so would like to learn the basics so I can deal with it myself. Trust me if there was some one who was local, trust worthy and good, I would probably take that route. I have been using apple for so long but never can afford the machine I want so this is the best option for me I think.

Thanks for your input this is all getting me closer to my goal, learning a lot as I go.

Just to summarize, I think I can get some of the part through family in South Africa and the others have shipped to them.. if Hong Kong is cheaper I will consider this.

Don't let the case limit the performance. You can get a good airflow ATX case for about $50 - $60 and it will only be slightly larger than the Fenix.

As for components:
Mobo: Z170 mobo, no PCI slots, 6 PCI-E slots (at least one PCI-E X16 (grphics) and one PCI-E X4 (NVME) with a few X1s) , Intel NIC, AC1150 audio codec, is the minimum to consider.

Case: mesh screen front panel that can take two or three 120mm or 140mm front fans; one, two or three 120mm or 140mm top fans (if it can take 2 or more top fans then chances are you can install a water radiator), a 120mm (preferably a 140mm) rear fan. When it comes to fans: Noctua. When it comes to air heat sink coolers: Noctua (like the NH-U14S).

I only do Seasonic power supplies, 650W or better. Read all the reviews on whatever PSU you are considering.

I take it you meant "video editing", in which case it will probably depend on the program, with one favouring nVidia graphics card and the other favouring AMD/Radeon video cards.

If you go with an i7 6700K (which usually means using a "Z" board,) you'll probably want a single kit of 64GB of DDR4 3200. Compare the prices for RAM for each mobo, one may cost less and another may not be able to use the higher performing tighter tolerance faster timing RAM.

Hi.. now your talking a bit more of my language.. a lot of the guys, although very helpful, have just told me what parts to get but not realizing it just sounds like code to me :eek:)

The fact that you are explaining why, is helping me in leaps and bounds..!
Yes mainly video editing, unfortunately I use two Adobe Premier ( as well as a lot of there other software like After effects, photoshop, illustrator and lightroom) but I also use FCPX ( Final Cut Pro X ) so any advise on a good all round package is welcome..

I am not much of a techi ,but I have now figured out this so far:

1) PSU - is the power supply and 650W is the lowest people have recommended ( can it cause issues if I go higher or is it all positive?)

2) There are other cases out there that I like. (you mentioned airflow ATX, is this one big enough.
-- Corsair Carbide Series Air 240 High Airflow MicroATX and Mini-ITX PC Case - Black

3) When it comes to the board, you mentioned the Z170 mobo, as a minimum, but for editing you said "one favoring nVidia graphics card and the other favoring AMD/Radeon video cards" so I'm guessing the Z board is best to get, but for what editing software I have mentioned, is there a preference you would recommend on graphics cards or can you add both? ( I know after that question your going to realise how much I really don't understand) ;o)

4) you talked about fans, and water radiators, you then went on to mention the best options.. is an "air heat sink cooler" a type of radiator or is it for something else entirely. I'm not sure what would fit into the case you recommended, I will have to look into that.

5) I was always planing on getting the i7 6700K just so I dont need to worry about upgrading it for a while, unless there are issues with compatibility.?

6) RAM - I would prefer to get the best and not one that cant function with one of the components, I have always been interest in getting 32GB and up, what would you recommend.

7) Eventually I would like to add a mic, webcam and speakers. I presume the ports etc are all available on this.?

8) Internet - I know that I have an Ethernet port but would there be space on the case mentioned for TP-Link?

9) I use two monitors via (mini DVI/thunder bolt) and quite a few external HD, mainly via USB3 will I have any limitations there?

10) Solid state drive I am looking at getting the 500GB this should be enough? I read somewhere that someone was having issues with there set up, and they recommended getting an OWC solid state, do you think this is essential?

11) Standard SATA drive - for storage, I would like at least 3TB, more if possible in this case? What do you recommend.?

I think I have covered most of my questions, and I hope they make sense..!
Thank you for your time, I am going from being a little apprehensive and nervous about doing this to getting excited now..!

regards

DK

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back