Motherboard
Gateway NV76R (Opencore)
CPU
Intel Core i5-3210/HM77
Graphics
HD 4000 1600x900x32
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Ok so before I started hackintoshing I had a laptop only running Windows 8.1. When I started hackintoshing I went into my bios and swithed to Legacy Bios. I installed mountain lion with chimera/chameleon as the boot source. I eventually got everything to work but after upgrading a few times iMessage stopped working.

So I followed guides to create a clover usb and make sure i could boot into ML with graphics and other necessities. i pretty much got it working and could also use the usb to boot Win 8.1 on legacy bios.

So when it was time to upgrade to Yosemite i decided to give Clover a go permanently and learn on the fly while trying to regain iMessage. I followed tonymac's guide to installing clover on the hdd as part of the post-installation steps. Everything seemed to be ok but then i noticed the option 'Boot Microsoft EFI' was gone. There are 4 partitions labeled legacy but i don't think those work. I then reinserted the clover usb i created and could again see the Microsoft efi boot option but nothing happens upon selecting it.

Can anybody help?!

Ok so before I started hackintoshing I had a laptop only running Windows 8.1. When I started hackintoshing I went into my bios and swithed to Legacy Bios. I installed mountain lion with chimera/chameleon as the boot source. I eventually got everything to work but after upgrading a few times iMessage stopped working.

So I followed guides to create a clover usb and make sure i could boot into ML with graphics and other necessities. i pretty much got it working and could also use the usb to boot Win 8.1 on legacy bios.

So when it was time to upgrade to Yosemite i decided to give Clover a go permanently and learn on the fly while trying to regain iMessage. I followed tonymac's guide to installing clover on the hdd as part of the post-installation steps. Everything seemed to be ok but then i noticed the option 'Boot Microsoft EFI' was gone. There are 4 partitions labeled legacy but i don't think those work. I then reinserted the clover usb i created and could again see the Microsoft efi boot option but nothing happens upon selecting it.

Can anybody help?!

Is your Windows installed legacy or UEFI? Look at your bootlog to determine why certain entries don't show up. There are many options to control what gets scanned in config.plist. The correct settings depend on your specific scenario.

Is your Windows installed legacy or UEFI? Look at your bootlog to determine why certain entries don't show up. There are many options to control what gets scanned in config.plist. The correct settings depend on your specific scenario.

It is installed UEFI. I am not able to find boot.log(Maybe I'm not looking in the right place?), which leads me to believe that the Clover install has somehow erased the Windows Boot Manager from EFI. Looking at the EFI partition mounted using Clover Configurator, I saw no resemblance of anything Microsoft(assuming I knew what it looked like if I saw it, lol), and as I type this I try to think what I could provide you to explain my situation more clearly.

Btw, thanks for taking the time to look at my situation, regardless of the outcome. I'm sure you're pretty busy and I see traces of you all over these forums as I try to understand these things for myself.

It is installed UEFI. I am not able to find boot.log(Maybe I'm not looking in the right place?),

Clover bootlog is available for viewing from Console.app.

which leads me to believe that the Clover install has somehow erased the Windows Boot Manager from EFI. Looking at the EFI partition mounted using Clover Configurator, I saw no resemblance of anything Microsoft(assuming I knew what it looked like if I saw it, lol), and as I type this I try to think what I could provide you to explain my situation more clearly.

You should have an /EFI/Microsoft folder if the Windows UEFI bootloader is installed to the drive.

Looked in both locations for both items and saw neither. Not good.

If you don't see CloverEFI in Console, then you didn't install Clover correctly (forgot RC scripts)...

Screen Shot 2014-11-19 at 12.27.00 PM.png

And EFI/Microsoft can be re-created with BCDBOOT.

And EFI/Microsoft can be re-created with BCDBOOT.

Thanks RehabMan that did it. For anyone else who experiences this, download the Windows 8 repair disk (bit-symmetric w/ OS) and create bootable usb with BootCamp Assistant. Boot from the disk, go to command prompt and reinstall the BCD data. And it needs to be placed inside /efi/microsoft/boot.

And one last question: So now the clover install is gone and i have to boot into Yosemite using the 10.10 install usb, and I was wondering what is the correct method of dual-booting Win 8 and Yosemite?

And one last question: So now the clover install is gone and i have to boot into Yosemite using the 10.10 install usb, and I was wondering what is the correct method of dual-booting Win 8 and Yosemite?

Install Clover to the HDD (EFI partition).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back