CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
RX 5700 XT
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Panic mode enabled :)

This is weird...

I was struggling to create a bootable clone of my Catalina hackintosh with CCC. I'ver got a Designare Z390. The hackintosh itself ran smoothly for the past 3 years but I wanted to try an update so I thought hey, why not make a clone of it and play on that. What did I do ???!! :)

Enventually I managed to have a booting clone. I went in the task settings and ticked everything that was in "include". That should be the default thing the cloning process does but it wasn't copying everything. Then I copied the EFI.

I got a "Boot from osx-backup" icon from the clover boot screen and it went through. I had some messages from CCC (this is a backup drive etc...) but nothing to worry about.

Then I did the ultimate test: I removed the original SSD on PCIe and tried to boot to the other one. And boom, I had a different clover boot screen with only recovery. Wut ? So I plugged back the original...and I got the same dumb screen. And booting from recovery didn't do anything. And all the args from the Clover options are gone...

So I went into panic mode :) Also after that, the hackintosh wouldn't go anywhere, looping the initial boot and nothing. Black screen, it wouldn't show me the BIOS.

I finally went into the Bios to find out it had been reset (the BIOS told me), so I put back all the Z390 settings. I may have accidentally reset it myself when I was frantically pressing arrows, del, F8, etc... tI had a black screen remember ?)

And now, it boots only from the clone. It's like the original lost its EFI settings or something. I found out that if I plug the original disk, well, it ****s everything up. How is that possible ? And it looks like it puts it back in primary boot option so I might have to check the BIOS but I'll do that tonight when I'm back from work.

Should I try to copy the EFI back from the clone to the original ?

I wonder if I shouldn't try to do a full OS install from scratch on the original, using the last OS, as the clone seems to be working. I4ve ordered a new Crucial PCIe drive to try and install the latest OS with Open Core. It's gonna take me until next year ah ah ah :)

Ideas ? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back