Motherboard
GA-Z170X-UD5
CPU
i5-6500
Graphics
Vega 56
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
I followed the steps on making a USB installer for High Sierra, but I keep getting I keep getting a no symbol / prohibited symbol when trying to install it.

I boot off the USB drive and I select Boot from Install macOS High Sierra. Then I see the Apple logo and the progress bar then I get no symbol / prohibited symbol.

What I am doing wrong?

Attached is a copy of EFI folder from my USB drive.

20170715_130123.jpg

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    3.1 MB · Views: 189
I followed the steps on making a USB installer for High Sierra, but I keep getting I keep getting a no symbol / prohibited symbol when trying to install it.

I boot off the USB drive and I select Boot from Install macOS High Sierra. Then I see the Apple logo and the progress bar then I get no symbol / prohibited symbol.

What I am doing wrong?

Attached is a copy of EFI folder from my USB drive.

View attachment 266836

The High Sierra OS Kernel cannot find access to the USB disk to take control of further booting. The denial of access may be due to the USB port to which you have inserted the HighSierra Installer Flash Disk has lost its power. If you have used a FDisk with a good LED, you will notice that the LED Flashing which was going on till now has stopped after the No-Entry logo appeared on the screen. There is no data transfer from the USB Flash Disk to the RAM anymore.

What can you do?
Try using a different USB port, preferably at the rear, and if your USB disk is USB 2.0 use a USB 2.0 port at the back and try again. Very Occasionally the fault may be with the USB disk itself.

Hope you will be able to fix the glitch.

The High Sierra OS Kernel cannot find access to the USB disk to take control of further booting. The denial of access may be due to the USB port to which you have inserted the HighSierra Installer Flash Disk has lost its power. If you have used a FDisk with a good LED, you will notice that the LED Flashing which was going on till now has stopped after the No-Entry logo appeared on the screen. There is no data transfer from the USB Flash Disk to the RAM anymore.

What can you do?
Try using a different USB port, preferably at the rear, and if your USB disk is USB 2.0 use a USB 2.0 port at the back and try again. Very Occasionally the fault may be with the USB disk itself.

Hope you will be able to fix the glitch.

No luck.

I tried different USB ports (2.0 and 3.0) and I tried different flash drives, but nothing worked.

I then installed macOS Sierra on a test drive and I tried to do an in place upgrade (I was able to do an in place upgrade from El Capitan to Sierra), but sadly that didn't work either.

Any other ideas?

No luck.

I tried different USB ports (2.0 and 3.0) and I tried different flash drives, but nothing worked.

I then installed macOS Sierra on a test drive and I tried to do an in place upgrade (I was able to do an in place upgrade from El Capitan to Sierra), but sadly that didn't work either.

Any other ideas?
Can you try the following :

• Shut Down the Computer.
  • Pull the Power Cord from its socket in the PSU.
  • Open the case.
  • Under Electrostatic precautions, disconnect all the SATA drives from the board EXCEPT your Sierra Target Disk. You need to pull the Power OR SATA cable from these drives ; don't have to disconnect both cables to make life easier later when connecting.
  • Clear CMOS using one of 3 methods for your MoBo:
    • Using a Flathead screw driver straddle the two CMOS Clear Pins for 30 seconds and then release. Or
    • Using a Flathead screw driver flip the CMOS coin battery from its socket and wait for 30 seconds and then reinsert. Or
    • Using the Screw driver or even your finger tip, push & hold down CMOS switch for 30 seconds and release.
  • The above procedure will clear any and all corrupt CMOS settings as well as the originally chosen BIOS settings for MacOS Installation. You will be starting with a clean slate.
  • Reconnect the Power cable and Restart
  • When the Display screen shows the messages Select : "Upload Optimized Default BIOS and Reboot" >ENTER
  • On Reboot press Del key to enter the BIOS Settings.
    • Set the Year Month Date , Time to the current
    • Select all the prior BIOS options [ Make sure they are the ones needed for your MoBo] for macOS booting.
    • Make your Sierra USB Installer USB (hopefully it is in UEFI mode) as First boot device. Disable everything else in Boot sequence
    • Press F10 to Save the Settings and boot
    • Press F12 and select your Sierra USB Installer
    • Go to Options >Boot Args: dart=0 -v
    • Go to Graphics Injector and whatever your Graphics card needs [√] and ENTER
    • Return to the Boot menu and boot your Sierra USB installer
    • Upload images of any problem screen.
    PS. You should not have any other USB devices connected to the system other than your Installer Disk and Mouse and Keyboard

Attachments

• 3 ways to Clear CMOS on GA-Z170X-UD5 MoBo.png
    3 ways to Clear CMOS on GA-Z170X-UD5 MoBo.png
    164.4 KB · Views: 602
Can you try the following :

• Shut Down the Computer.
  • Pull the Power Cord from its socket in the PSU.
  • Open the case.
  • Under Electrostatic precautions, disconnect all the SATA drives from the board EXCEPT your Sierra Target Disk. You need to pull the Power OR SATA cable from these drives ; don't have to disconnect both cables to make life easier later when connecting.
  • Clear CMOS using one of 3 methods for your MoBo:
    • Using a Flathead screw driver straddle the two CMOS Clear Pins for 30 seconds and then release. Or
    • Using a Flathead screw driver flip the CMOS coin battery from its socket and wait for 30 seconds and then reinsert. Or
    • Using the Screw driver or even your finger tip, push & hold down CMOS switch for 30 seconds and release.
  • The above procedure will clear any and all corrupt CMOS settings as well as the originally chosen BIOS settings for MacOS Installation. You will be starting with a clean slate.
  • Reconnect the Power cable and Restart
  • When the Display screen shows the messages Select : "Upload Optimized Default BIOS and Reboot" >ENTER
  • On Reboot press Del key to enter the BIOS Settings.
    • Set the Year Month Date , Time to the current
    • Select all the prior BIOS options [ Make sure they are the ones needed for your MoBo] for macOS booting.
    • Make your Sierra USB Installer USB (hopefully it is in UEFI mode) as First boot device. Disable everything else in Boot sequence
    • Press F10 to Save the Settings and boot
    • Press F12 and select your Sierra USB Installer
    • Go to Options >Boot Args: dart=0 -v
    • Go to Graphics Injector and whatever your Graphics card needs [√] and ENTER
    • Return to the Boot menu and boot your Sierra USB installer
    • Upload images of any problem screen.
    PS. You should not have any other USB devices connected to the system other than your Installer Disk and Mouse and Keyboard

MAJOR Thanks cmn699!!!

I won't have time to try these steps until Thursday; but I will keep you updated.

Thanks again!

• I7-8700
  • GIGABYTE B360M D3v
  • No Graphics Card
The same with you.

I have installed two Hackintosh before...no idea stuck where

Same happening to me. I am able to install mojave but there's no support for GTX 1060 so I try to nstall High Sierra and negation symbol appears after 30 seconds of apple logo. Even If I was able to install mojave with all my HHD on I followed the instractions and I left only the instalation disk, changed ports, etc and nothing. Could be the CPU 8700K in not supported?

Having the same issue with a "cancel" sign appearing during High Sierra installation on a machine that I've installed and run slightly older Mac OS versions on without running into this probelm. At least, I don't currently remember it... my flash drive is definitely becoming disconnected/unreachable almost immediately after beginning the installation for whatever reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back