Contribute
Register

I installed Windows on my macbook, but now I want to come back to OS X. I need help...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hello, first of all I want to apologize if this is in the wrong section of the forum. I'm having an issue with reinstalling OS X El Capitan to my Macbook Air. I installed Windows 8 on a Macbook Air with Bootcamp. However, the option to Restart in OS X isn't available since I only have Windows that is available. A google search brought me to this website and made me follow the step-by-step guide on how to install OS X on a PC. However, I keep getting a "Couldn't copy base system" error and I've tried different things to "fix it" such as changing USB ports or even changing USB sticks.

I have 2 different 8GB USB Sticks and both of them end up with the same error. It's been 2 days straight that I've been trying to reinstall like it was in the beginning, but I'm out of options.

Could anyone give me a hand with this? Thank you!

Hello, first of all I want to apologize if this is in the wrong section of the forum. I'm having an issue with reinstalling OS X El Capitan to my Macbook Air. I installed Windows 8 on a Macbook Air with Bootcamp. However, the option to Restart in OS X isn't available since I only have Windows that is available. A google search brought me to this website and made me follow the step-by-step guide on how to install OS X on a PC. However, I keep getting a "Couldn't copy base system" error and I've tried different things to "fix it" such as changing USB ports or even changing USB sticks.

I have 2 different 8GB USB Sticks and both of them end up with the same error. It's been 2 days straight that I've been trying to reinstall like it was in the beginning, but I'm out of options.

Could anyone give me a hand with this? Thank you!

Have you tried booting up recovery mode and reinstalling macOS from there? (Holding command+r on boot up.)
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201314

I actually just did this yesterday. I always have a spare external drive that i keep a copy of macOS on, and when I need to, I plug it into my macbook air and boot up on it and use disk utility to wipe the internal drive clean and download macOS from the mac app store, run the installer and install it on the internal drive. Make sure if you wipe the internal drive you format it as Mac OS X extended.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back