Contribute
Register

I have decided to hack eMac's CRT (To work with any standard motherboard)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asus rog strix z370-g gaming (wi-fi ac)
CPU
Intel Core i7 8700k
Graphics
Asus ROG STRIX-GTX1070-O8G-GAMING
Mac
  1. iMac
Classic Mac
  1. eMac
  2. iMac
  3. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Oh, yes.
Pretencious as it sound.
I decided this about a ear ago (midle of 2013).
it was wen i saw this wonderfull machine for the first time in my life.
Yep, I never knew about it till then, so i was shocked for the beautiful design on this thing.

So...Last week i bought one (1.42ghz, 2gb ram, bluetooth and airport from obb, nearly new from a cosmetic view....)

I'm a laptop - electronic level - technician.
I already can confirm that a mini-itx + PSU + Heatsink and fan + 2.5" SSD will easily fit were the eMac logic board was before (Removing also the DVD drive).
Not enough room for ATX PSU but i have some idea about a stand were the emac body will be sitting on, and there will the PSU be.
But actually all of this dont matter at all, since i have to do something huge first:

Hack the eMac"s CRT.
Im planning on starting to make a few test in the upcoming days, and of course the key here will be the IVAD TO LOGIC BOARD CABLE, responsable for carrying vga and i2c signals to the monitor.

So before any attemp i was looking to Leo's Bodnar web page (Famous for hacking things to do the opossite...using the logicboard without the CRT):
http://www.lbodnar.dsl.pipex.com/eServer/

and there, scrolling down to were the pictures are, is a funny one of theCRT's analog board that call my attention:

http://www.lbodnar.dsl.pipex.com/eServer/L-IMG_0688.JPG

Now look at that connector and if you try to figure labels out, maybe you will notice the same as my; PWRON pin, should mean POWER ON??
What you think should be there?
+5 from pin 9 on VGA port from a standard motherboard may be enough?

Every inside on this will be usefull to my, but maybe, maybe someone has a better undestanding of the eMac's guts to know if this mean POWER ON and what is needed to make it work (Maybe even Leo Bodnar himself read this and have the answer to my question).
Sorry about my nasty English...
Thank for reading and stay close to see updates in the future.

I am not sure if you are aware, but OSX does not support VGA mode anymore, only digital DVI/hdmi/etc, so such a build would be limited to Windows/linux.

Kiwi

I am not sure if you are aware, but OSX does not support VGA mode anymore, only digital DVI/hdmi/etc, so such a build would be limited to Windows/linux.

Kiwi

I have read that a few times, yes.
What is the latest osx able to support VGA?
Anyway at first will not be the main objective.
Main objective so far is to hack the CRT to put any type of motherboard that STAND for actuall tasks, such as youtube snapy playback (Os X 10.5.8 and powerPc g4 1.42...Does not).

Kiwi

Kiwi please expand, because i have a laptop hackintosh running mavericks and the vga output works well... And it seems to be alot of people using it on they hackintoshes.
I´m missreading something in those posts?
What "anymore" means?
Tanks in advance.

Search this site for "VGA", that may answer your questions. Here is one such thread, I think It can be made to work, but requires in depth knowledge

http://www.tonymacx86.com/graphics/32375-success-vga-port-fix-intel-hd-3000-a.html

Great reading.
Any sugestions about the eMac crt? (It has became a full-time hobby this week, meaning that i spend all free time on it, and not RC cars).
Do you have, maybe, an eMac G4 IVAD board to play around?
I need to know the code of the i2c driver IC on that board, so being able to see the schematic.
Im unable to disassembly mine own until 2 weeks from now, because from there my vacations starts.
Until that date all of my testings will be mostly without taking apart to much.

No sorry I don't have eMac or any CRT based mac or any knowledge of VGA, I was just conveying what it had read about VGA, but as you said you have already go that working yourself.

Regarding i2c it is a serial bus protocol/standard. I can only guess that it would be used to control brightness/contrast settings. I2C is common on micro controllers such as Arduino (which I do have experience), the issue would be working out the protocol (bytes) that would need to be sent. It is unlikely to be documented public ally by Apple, unless you can identify a standard part number (chip) that does have documentation.

Does this make any sense.

In your shoes I'd swap the crappy CRT to a newer (high resolution) LCD Model with DVI... After that surgery you will easily be able to fit anything in the eMac housing. I was planning to do the same but switched over to a iMac G4 mod (still in progress - for months due to lack of time)

Best regards...

In your shoes I'd swap the crappy CRT to a newer (high resolution) LCD Model with DVI... After that surgery you will easily be able to fit anything in the eMac housing. I was planning to do the same but switched over to a iMac G4 mod (still in progress - for months due to lack of time)

Best regards...

Of course that's another choice, but kipping and hacking eMac's CRT seems to never being done and that make this project more apealling to me.
Also, check google for "CRT vs. LCD" and you will see that CRT's are not crappy at all...
In the proces of swapping technologies LCD make all of us to lose alot of nice features like deep of color, viewing angle, blackness...

http://bootstrike.com/Articles/LCDvsCRT/

I know this is an old thread but I wanted to share what I've done. With your inspiration I hacked an old eMac that I found in the trash using it as a monitor for my raspberry pi. I was able to copy the series of commands sent from the logic bard to the ivad board and implemented it using an arduino uno. I have it completely working without the
logic board. I will be posting instructions in the next couple of weeks but I did upload a coupe of videos.
Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back