Contribute
Register

I Can’t download Big Sur error “The requested version of macOS is not available”.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
ASUS p8z68-v lx.
CPU
i3 << need model # >> See Forum Rules !!
Graphics
GT 710
Mac
  1. iMac
When I try to download Big Sur I get the message: “The requested version of macOS is not available”.

I have a perfect running Catalina on my hackintosh with the latest updates which I’ve done simply from system preferences, latest software update 10.15.7 with success. I didn’t install any big sur betas.

When I try to update to Big Sur I get the message “The requested version of macOS is not available” And I see written your software is up to date 10.15.7

I’ve read on apple that Big Sur supports iMacs from 2014

When I open my config.plist with the latest clover configurator 5.17.1.0 it shows in the SMBIOS that I have iMac17,1 but the weird thing is on the desktop when I press the apple, about this Mac, system report: it is shows that I have: Model Identifier: iMac14,2 any solution for this how can I change that it will show also in about this Mac. system report Model Identifier: iMac17,1?

Last edited:
In this i said the same thing ... I have the same problem and, letteraly, i don't know how to fix or (at least) where i can find information.

When I try to download Big Sur I get the message: “The requested version of macOS is not available”.

I have a perfect running Catalina on my hackintosh with the latest updates which I’ve done simply from system preferences, latest software update 10.15.7 with success. I didn’t install any big sur betas.

When I try to update to Big Sur I get the message “The requested version of macOS is not available” And I see written your software is up to date 10.15.7

I’ve read on apple that Big Sur supports iMacs from 2014

When I open my config.plist with the latest clover configurator 5.17.1.0 it shows in the SMBIOS that I have iMac17,1 but the weird thing is on the desktop when I press the apple, about this Mac, system report: it is shows that I have: Model Identifier: iMac14,2 any solution for this how can I change that it will show also in about this Mac. system report Model Identifier: iMac17,1?
Only certain versions of Clover will work with Big Sur however, you problem is something else. Make a back up of your EFI logout of iCloud or any software that might need to be released. Then open your Config file and refresh your SMBIOS so that it updates all your numbers then reboot and try again. Please keep mind that only newer releases of Clover work with Big Sur and it would be even more advisable to change to Open Core. There is a very good guide for creating an EFI for open core here:

Also you can do a search on the internet for Sanity checker and it will check your config file to make sure it is correct and will tell you what is wrong. In addition you can use OpenCore Configurator to build your config file but you need to be sure the version of the configurator matches the version of the boot loader as things get moved from version to version of OpenCore.

Finally I found the solution! Board ID! Board ID! Board ID! Board ID! You have to change Board ID!!! Search on internet the Board ID for the your Model Identifier.

Finally I found the solution! Board ID! Board ID! Board ID! Board ID! You have to change Board ID!!! Search on internet the Board ID for the your Model Identifier.
It should be better to let a tool to generate.

Thank you sir! Worked for me!

Could you explain how to I change Board ID?

As I check, current Board ID is

$ ioreg -l | grep -i board-id
| "board-id" = <"Mac-27ADBB7B4CEE8E61">

I am still getting "The requested version of macOS is not available".

Could you explain how to I change Board ID?

As I check, current Board ID is

$ ioreg -l | grep -i board-id
| "board-id" = <"Mac-27ADBB7B4CEE8E61">

I am still getting "The requested version of macOS is not available".

Using Clover Configurator, you have to mount EFI partition (Tools -> Mount EFI), load your conf file (botton/left icon, "arrow in") named config.plist and in section SMBIOS you can modify it ... and of course reboot.

Using Clover Configurator, you have to mount EFI partition (Tools -> Mount EFI), load your conf file (botton/left icon, "arrow in") named config.plist and in section SMBIOS you can modify it ... and of course reboot.
How would I know what to change the ID to?

Your SMBIOS model should be in the supported list for Big Sur. Otherwise it will not be available for download. You can generate new SMBIOS details with clover configurator or GenSMBIOS utility.

Check which ID is suitable for your configuration. Dortania opencore guide has the details.
For example, my system was iMac 14,2. Which I changed to iMac 15,1 to be compatible with Big Sur.
Above tools will generate a new serial, board ID, and system ID.
Don't forget to check the new ID with apple coverage check, to make sure it is an unused one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back