Contribute
Register

I cannot get my machine to boot without my USB.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asus Maximus Hero vii
CPU
i7 4790 3.0GHz
Graphics
Nvidia GTX 770 4G
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Ok so I did a fresh install using the clover technique of installing Sierra. Everything works perfectly, I used a USB audio for sound, wifi is great, the graphics run smoothly. I just cant get it to boot from the HDD, it only boots with the USB plugged in.

I'm certain its something to do with the EFI partition or something.

I've tried everything I can think of but nothing is working.

I have an Asus motherboard and I read that this could have something to do with it?

Please can someone help!!!!

Whenyou say you cannot get it to boot from the HDD, do you mean it KPs or is the BIOS/UEFI just not seeing the HDD as a bootable device?

In the UEFI do you have CSM set to Auto and the Boot Devices Control set to UEFI only? This is proper setting for OS X on Asus boards.

I have a question to interject here. I'm on my fourth or fifth build, and EVERY SINGLE time the system works beautifully when booting from the USB but it's always a multi-day project to get it to work off the hard drive. Why is this the case? Why can't the boot code from the USB simply be transferred to the hard drive?

Booting from a usb isn't that much different than booting from a hard drive. Why isn't there something that says "Ok, my system works fine, transfer the exact current settings to the hard drive?

I'm actually thinking of leaving a USB in the system to save myself some stress.

I have a question to interject here. I'm on my fourth or fifth build, and EVERY SINGLE time the system works beautifully when booting from the USB but it's always a multi-day project to get it to work off the hard drive. Why is this the case? Why can't the boot code from the USB simply be transferred to the hard drive?

Booting from a usb isn't that much different than booting from a hard drive. Why isn't there something that says "Ok, my system works fine, transfer the exact current settings to the hard drive?

I'm actually thinking of leaving a USB in the system to save myself some stress.
The boot files from the USB can be transferred to the HDD very easily.
1. Install OS and get to desktop
2. mount the USB EFI partition
3. copy the EFI folder from the USB EFI partition to desktop
4. eject USB
5. Install Clover boot loader to HDD.
6. replace the EFI folder Clover installer placed in the HDD EFI partition with the one on your desktop.
7. reboot. enjoy.

Is there some reason this has to be copied to the desktop? I have USB mounted, I can't just

1) Install OS and get to desktop (USB booter is loaded)
2) Install Clover to the HDD
3) Copy over the EFI folder from USB

Maybe that's why it never works? The instruction to install clover are very complicated. Copying plists, configuring clover. I just want to boot the OS.

Can I just load chameleon? Fewer knobs create fewer issues.

Last edited:
Is there some reason this has to be copied to the desktop? I have USB mounted, I can't just

1) Install OS and get to desktop (USB booter is loaded)
2) Install Clover to the HDD
3) Copy over the EFI folder from USB

Maybe that's why it never works? The instruction to install clover are very complicated. Copying plists, configuring clover. I just want to boot the OS.
Not if you are able to mount the EFI partition of both drives at the same time and can be sure you know the difference. Would be a shame to copy the HDD EFI folder to the USB EFI partition and make the USB fail to boot, too.

Im not worried about that. Burning another usb is the least of the failure scenarios.

You refer to the EFI partition, but I dont have an EFI partition. It's just a folder. My system disk is 1 partition (as is the USB, as per the instructions). Am I missing something?

Also, I'm pretty sure I selected Legacy boot when I ran unibeast. How does that change things?

How can I determine which mode I'm currently booted in?

update: aha, so if EFI is a folder, then Im booted in legacy mode.

Last edited:
Im not worried about that. Burning another usb is the least of the failure scenarios.

You refer to the EFI partition, but I dont have an EFI partition. It's just a folder. My system disk is 1 partition (as is the USB, as per the instructions). Am I missing something?

Also, I'm pretty sure I selected Legacy boot when I ran unibeast. How does that change things?

How can I determine which mode I'm currently booted in?

update: aha, so if EFI is a folder, then Im booted in legacy mode.
So copy yhe contents of the EFI folder on the USB to the EFI folder on the HDD.

Did that. Stuck on the gray apple screen with a stuck progress bar. As Usual

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back