Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z170X-UD3 Rev 1.0
CPU
i7 6700k
Graphics
Radeon RX Vega 64
My Hackie has been running splendidly on Mojave for some time, 10.14.6. I'm using Clover 4934 with Lilu/WhateverGreen installed from MB 11.3, Gigabyte Z170X-UD3 rev 1, i7 6700k, Vega 64 GPU. I've had no problems since getting this thing installed and running, but recently I fired up Starcraft 2 and started having issues. Sometimes it would crash, sometimes it would stall for a few seconds, and sometimes I'd get a full lockup. Audio would continue, the cursor could still move, but nothing else would happen. If I tried a force-quit then audio would cease and I would get the desktop cursor, but that's it. Logs show the dreaded DumpGPURestart messages when this happened. After some digging, it seems one fix is to enable the iGPU in headless mode.

I've been following the Idiot's guide to Lilu/WhateverGreen to get it working, but nothing I do will get full support from what I can tell. I can get the iGPU to show up in the System -> iGPU info section in Hackintool, but only the GPU name and device ID. No memory, no metal support or anything like that. VDADecoderChecker just says "Hardware acceleration is fully supported" and unfortunately I'm not sure if it needs to say anything about specific items, ie, h264 or h265. I've set the SMBIOS to iMac 17,1 as it should be. I've clipped this into my config.plist on the EFI partition from the Hackintool patch screen:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>Devices</key>
<dict>
<key>Properties</key>
<dict>
<key>PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1F,0x3)</key>
<dict>
<key>AAPL,slot-name</key>
<string>Internal@0,31,3</string>
<key>device_type</key>
<string>Audio device</string>
<key>model</key>
<string>100 Series/C230 Series Chipset Family HD Audio Controller</string>
</dict>
<key>PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x2,0x0)</key>
<dict>
<key>AAPL,ig-platform-id</key>
<data>
AQASGQ==
</data>
<string>Internal@0,2,0</string>
<key>device_type</key>
<string>Display controller</string>
<key>hda-gfx</key>
<string>onboard-1</string>
<key>model</key>
<string>Intel HD Graphics 530</string>
</dict>
</dict>
</dict>
</dict>
</plist>

But still no dice. I've checked in the BIOS and set the iGPU to Enabled, set Above 4G (or whatever the exact name is) to Enabled. This board does not let me set the RAM allocated to the iGPU, unfortunately. Thanks for that, Gigabyte. I've gone over the guide and I really don't know what else I need to be doing here. I'm not about to upgrade to Catalina (lack 32-bit application support is dealbreaker) and I'm wary of updating Clover. I don't like to mess with that if things are already working, but if it's necessary, it's necessary. Not about to jump to OpenCore at this point as that's probably going to be a lot more headache than I want to deal with at the moment. I'd use swapID.kext but that seems to be specific to RX 5xx series cards. The crashes in SC2 continue, often within a half hour of playing. I've had zero issues with any other game.

Last edited:
My Hackie has been running splendidly on Mojave for some time, 10.14.6. I'm using Clover 4934 with Lilu/WhateverGreen installed from MB 11.3, Gigabyte Z170X-UD3 rev 1, i7 6700k, Vega 64 GPU. I've had no problems since getting this thing installed and running, but recently I fired up Starcraft 2 and started having issues. Sometimes it would crash, sometimes it would stall for a few seconds, and sometimes I'd get a full lockup. Audio would continue, the cursor could still move, but nothing else would happen. If I tried a force-quit then audio would cease and I would get the desktop cursor, but that's it. Logs show the dreaded DumpGPURestart messages when this happened. After some digging, it seems one fix is to enable the iGPU in headless mode.

I've been following the Idiot's guide to Lilu/WhateverGreen to get it working, but nothing I do will get full support from what I can tell. I can get the iGPU to show up in the System -> iGPU info section, but only the GPU name and device ID. No memory, no metal support or anything like that. VDADecoderChecker just says "Hardware acceleration is fully supported" and unfortunately I'm not sure if it needs to specifically say anything about specific items, ie, h264 or h265. I've set the SMBIOS to iMac 17,1 as it should be. I've clipped this into my config.plist on the EFI partition from the Hackintool patch screen:

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>Devices</key>
<dict>
<key>Properties</key>
<dict>
<dict>
<key>device_type</key>
<key>model</key>
</dict>
<dict>
<data>
AQASGQ==
</data>
<key>device_type</key>
<key>hda-gfx</key>
<key>model</key>
</dict>
</dict>
</dict>
</dict>
</plist>

But still no dice. I've checked in the BIOS and set the iGPU to Enabled, set Above 4G (or whatever the exact name is) to Enabled. This board does not let me set the RAM allocated to the iGPU, unfortunately. Thanks for that, Gigabyte. I've gone over the guide and I really don't know what else I need to be doing here. I'm not about to upgrade to Catalina (lack 32-bit application support is dealbreaker) and I'm wary of updating Clover. I don't like to mess with that if things are already working, but if it's necessary, it's necessary. Not about to jump to OpenCore at this point as that's probably going to be a lot more headache than I want to deal with at the moment. I'd use swapID.kext but that seems to be specific to RX 5xx series cards. The crashes in SC2 continue, often within a half hour of playing. I've had zero issues with any other game.
As per rules, please update your hardware profile to allow others to help you easier

I've tried playing with different options in Hackintool, such as the 32MB DVMT fix since I cannot set that manually in the BIOS. No change. Tried the latest Lilu/WhateverGreen, no change. Latest BIOS, no change. I'm starting to think that there may be something specific to this board that makes it so no force on earth or in heaven could ever make this work properly.

EDIT: Just noticed that Hackintool doesn't seem to recognize my iGPU properly. Under "Current Framebuffer", it says that the Platform ID and GPU Device ID are 0x0. GPU Name is ???. I've manually set the iGPU to "Enabled" in the BIOS, so I don't know why Hackintool is unable to properly detect it. I'm not sure if it's relevant, but I have no way of knowing.

Last edited:

I've been following the Idiot's guide to Lilu/WhateverGreen to get it working, but nothing I do will get full support from what I can tell. I can get the iGPU to show up in the System -> iGPU info section in Hackintool, but only the GPU name and device ID. No memory, no metal support or anything like that. VDADecoderChecker just says "Hardware acceleration is fully supported" and unfortunately I'm not sure if it needs to say anything about specific items, ie, h264 or h265. I've set the SMBIOS to iMac 17,1 as it should be. I've clipped this into my config.plist on the EFI partition from the Hackintool patch screen:

<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>Devices</key>
<dict>
<key>Properties</key>
<dict>
<dict>
<key>device_type</key>
<key>model</key>
</dict>
<dict>
<data>
AQASGQ==
</data>
<key>device_type</key>
<key>hda-gfx</key>
<key>model</key>
</dict>
</dict>
</dict>
</dict>
</plist>

Delete the onboard-1 string. Onboard-1 is for your primary GPU. If you want to use your IGPU in "headless mode" then your DGPU (Vega 64) is the one that is suppose to be the primary Graphics Card. It seems you check on "Use Intel HDMI" in the advance tab when using hackintool.

Last edited:
I am using the 0x19120001 Platform ID, but I didn't uncheck the HDMI box. I'll give that a try. If onboard-1 isn't supposed to be in there then that's a bug in Hackintool as that was auto-generated with the 0x19120001 platform ID.

I am using the 0x19120001 Platform ID, but I didn't uncheck the HDMI box. I'll give that a try. If onboard-1 isn't supposed to be in there then that's a bug in Hackintool as that was auto-generated with the 0x19120001 platform ID.
Screen Shot 2020-06-08 at 5.01.42 PM.png

I don't think it's a bug but a way to force the use of IGPU when the DGPU is primary...

Good to know. Hackintool has gone on the fritz and now refuses to generate any video device Properties. Sigh. If it's not too much trouble could you post your config.plist? I've snipped out any conflicting settings in Clover Config, but maybe I'm missing something.

I also found that DVMT is available in the BIOS...if you switch the iGPU to Enabled, then reboot, and then go back into the BIOS. Then it's visible. Sigh, great UX there, Gigabyte. It defaults to 64MB, so that shouldn't be an issue.

Good to know. Hackintool has gone on the fritz and now refuses to generate any video device Properties. Sigh. If it's not too much trouble could you post your config.plist? I've snipped out any conflicting settings in Clover Config, but maybe I'm missing something.

I also found that DVMT is available in the BIOS...if you switch the iGPU to Enabled, then reboot, and then go back into the BIOS. Then it's visible. Sigh, great UX there, Gigabyte. It defaults to 64MB, so that shouldn't be an issue.
I'm going to upload an EFI folder for you. It has a iMac 17,1 SMBIOS without serials, add yours.
Replace your USB EFI folder with this one and boot with your USB drive.
Or just replace your main boot drive with it and boot with your system drive.
At boot press the s key and wait a couple of seconds for the shell.
Type FS0: and then press enter.
Type: cd EFI/Clover/Tools and then press enter.
Type: CFGLock and then press enter.
Answer Yes (Y) or NO (N) this toggles a hidden option in your BIOS/UEFI settings. Now CFGLock is going to be unlock.
Now reboot normally to your system.

PD. Usually when you boot with only one USB drive connected you can find the tool with
FS0: but if you have a few more volumes/drives/partitions then do the same procedure with FS1: or FS2: or FS3: until you find the tool and are able to run it. If it's lock answer Y (Yes) to unlock it, if it's unlock answer N (N) to leave it alone.

Edit: I made minor edits to the config.plist file and updated a kext, re-download if needed.
Rebuild KextCache & Repair Permissions
Make sure you made all the necesarry changes in your UEFI/BIOS.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    23.9 MB · Views: 112
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back