Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
AsRock X570 Creator
CPU
Ryzen 9 3900X
Graphics
AMD RX580
Hi, I am dying here. I have tried a lot! First of all, I am trying to run Sierra on an Intel i9 9900K on a Designare Z390. I got the installer to boot and I was able to install Sierra to a Sata SSD. But when it restarted I just got a black screen. Then I put the SSD in a USB enclosure, pluged it to an iMac and finished the instalation just fine. I have tried several config.plist but as soon as it is supposed to show me the Sierra screen, it goes black. I don't know what to do. If somebody has a solution for me, I would appreciate it a lot!.

Hi, I am dying here. I have tried a lot! First of all, I am trying to run Sierra on an Intel i9 9900K on a Designare Z390. I got the installer to boot and I was able to install Sierra to a Sata SSD. But when it restarted I just got a black screen. Then I put the SSD in a USB enclosure, plugged it to an iMac and finished the installation just fine. I have tried several config.plist but as soon as it is supposed to show me the Sierra screen, it goes black. I don't know what to do. If somebody has a solution for me, I would appreciate it a lot!.
Please update your motherboard, CPU, and graphics card information in your Personal Details as stipulated by the forum rules.

I use the Z390 Designare myself with a i7 9700KF, and I am able to run MacOS Sierra 10.12.6 (and also High Sierra 10.13.6 and Mojave 10.14.6) using a RX 580 graphics card.

(1) Are you using Sierra 10.12.6? If not update to this version first as lower versions won't work with the Z390.

(2) Do you use a graphics card or are you trying to use CPU integrated graphics? If you are trying to use CPU integrated graphics, then you are doomed to fail as Sierra has no support for the CPU integrated graphics (UHD 630) of the i9 9900K. You need to install a Sierra supported graphics card like the RX 580 (which also requires the Lilu and WhateverGreen kexts to work with Sierra).

(3) If you insist on using CPU integrated graphics then you can only run MacOS Mojave 10.14.6 and later as Mojave is the first version to support the UHD 630 CPU integrated graphics in the 9th generation Intel CPUs.

Last edited:
Please update your motherboard, CPU, and graphics card information in your Personal Details as stipulated by the forum rules.

I use the Z390 Designare myself with a i7 9700KF, and I am able to run MacOS Sierra 10.12.6 (and also High Sierra 10.13.6 and Mojave 10.14.6) using a RX 580 graphics card.

You've caught my interest. I'd love to build a second system on newer hardware running Sierra 10.12.6, as I still have heavy need for FCP7. Is the main pitfall just the GPU? Do you have any posts documenting your build, as well as any pointers or suggestions?

You've caught my interest. I'd love to build a second system on newer hardware running Sierra 10.12.6, as I still have heavy need for FCP7. Is the main pitfall just the GPU? Do you have any posts documenting your build, as well as any pointers or suggestions?
MacOS Sierra 10.12.6 officially supports up to Intel 7th generation CPUs and motherboards only. I have a system based on a Z270 motherboard and i7 7700K which I previously used to run MacOS Sierra 10.12.6.

Based on my own experiences with my 3 Coffee Lake machines (The first 3 systems in my signature), however, I can confidently say that it is possible to run MacOS Sierra 10.12.6 on Intel 8th and 9th generation CPUs and motherboards using Clover as bootloader, as long as the graphics card is supported on MacOS Sierra 10.12.6 (like my RX 580 and GTX 760 for example). The CPU integrated graphics on these CPUs, however, is not supported on MacOS Sierra and cannot be used.

I have no experiences with the current 10th generation CPUs and motherboards as I do not have them. As far as I know they require OpenCore or Clover 5124 and later as bootloader. I have no idea if they can run Sierra, although there is someone who made High Sierra run on them :

I need to point out, however, that I did not attempt to install Sierra fresh on the 8th / 9th generation hardware systems. I use a previously installed copy of Sierra 10.12.6 on a disk and configure Clover to boot Sierra on the systems, then clone the Sierra partition onto a disk on the systems. So I have no idea if you can perform a fresh installation of Sierra on 8th and 9th generation hardware.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back