Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Hi to all!

I have been using a netbook that I duelbooted myself with OSX and Windows.
I have found myself using the OSX side mostly and have fallen in love with this OS and now want to take the Hackintosh to a new level and do the same to my desktop pc.
I have looked around various related websites but haven’t found exactly the information I need.

The PC spec I have is as follows:-

Gigabyte GA-Z77MX-D3H, Socket-1155
Intel Core i5-2380P
Radeon 6850 1GB
8GB of Corsair Dominator DDR3 1600MHz
2 Seagate Momentus XT hybrid ssd hard drives.

My intention is to run Windows 7 64 on one hard drive and Mac OSX Lion on the other.
I would much prefer to use USB pens for both installations.
I also would like a menu on boot so that I can select which OS to load but have it load an OS if I don’t select anything.
I under stand I can use Chimera app to do this.

My questions are as follows :-

With the components I have is Lion a good choice as an install?
Ive seen that some install a lower version of OSX and upgrade other ways.

How is best to get OSX onto a USB Pen with Chimera?

I also found a DSDT file for the motherboard for Mac OSX this also needs to go on the USB pen…where do I put it?
I got this here:- http://www.osx86.net/view/2713-dsdt_ga-z77mx-d3h.html

Thanks for taking the time to read this and my thanks in advance for any help and advice given ?

MS has a utility that lets you make a USB drive into a windows installer.
http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msstore/html/pbPage.Help_Win7_usbdvd_dwnTool

As far as OSX I believe you can restore an USB drive with the InstallESD.DMG file directly and to keep it simple have a separate unibeast?

I have a MacBook air that I used to install OSX with onto an external drive last time I did this so I'm a bit rusty at it. I'll let others chime in about the OSX side.

You would need a USB audio dongle or firewire audio interface since the GA-Z77-D3H has the unsupported VIA VT2021 codec. The GA-Z77-DS3H has the supported Realtek ALC887 codec. You need the DS3H board.

You can use the Instant Menu kext in MB to choose which OS to boot upon Chimera.

No need for DSDT since Gigabyte Z77 boards work without any with sleep and wake.

Read Unibeast guide above.

Single/Dual/Triple Booting Guide on one or separate HDDs/SSDs by GoingBald

viewtopic.php?f=81&t=20872

Why are you using a i5-2380P might I ask?

Thanks alot to all of you for your help, its really appreciated.

jester969 in reply to your question , I didnt actually select that cpu or motherboard.
I had a system that recently failed and I sent back the motherboard and cpu and these are replacements. Originally I had a 1st gen i3 on this computer and the supplier replaced it with this i5. I think its a pretty good deal :)
I know it doesnt have the built in graphics but apart from that its a nice upgrade.
I wouldnt use that part of any cpu anyway as I need better performance than they offer.
Is there anything else that I should be concerned about with this cpu?

tsddave said:
Thanks alot to all of you for your help, its really appreciated.

jester969 in reply to your question , I didnt actually select that cpu or motherboard.
I had a system that recently failed and I sent back the motherboard and cpu and these are replacements. Originally I had a 1st gen i3 on this computer and the supplier replaced it with this i5. I think its a pretty good deal :)
I know it doesnt have the built in graphics but apart from that its a nice upgrade.
I wouldnt use that part of any cpu anyway as I need better performance than they offer.
Is there anything else that I should be concerned about with this cpu?

No, I don't see many using that specific CPU. I was curious.

Ok I've read everything now and I've also ordered another hard drive to install lion on and that could be with me tommorow or Monday.

I would like to clarify a couple of things if someone could kindly assist.

So on the basis of me installing osx lion on my setup its just a case of installing it via a DVD or USB pen and I won't need Iboot or anything like that?

Bootloader wise I load that after the osx lion install?

My thanks in advance!

Ahh I see! I misinterpreted something you said previously, just as well I asked :)

I see this part of the guide:-

You may have to type extra command line flags to reach the installer.
Asus Motherboard + NVIDIA Graphics - type PCIRootUID=0
Unsupported graphics - type GraphicsEnabler=No

I have a Gigabyte board and Radeon HD 6850. This is a supported graphics card so I can skip this right? If not then how do I get command prompt?

No need for those flags.

Hit the space bar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back