Contribute
Register

Hypno's G5 Mod

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got a prototype printed for the front panel. The back of it is simply flat right now, but I'll be adding in mounting points for the audio jack and two usb ports next.
gpw35jFl.jpg
zs63qC0l.jpg

I ended up changing gears completely with the front panel since I just couldn't get the shape of the metal correct and I realized that the audio jack will never work with the hardware I have.. I found a usb 3.1 and usb type c panel online. I 3D printed out an adapter since the mounting screws on the original panel wouldn't work quite correctly. I then epoxied the printed part in place and sanded down the edges. I'm very happy with the way that it turned out, and I just have to drill some holes in the large blank spot. For that, I plan to use some of the mesh that I am cutting off the back as a jig so I can get the holes perfectly aligned. After paint you shouldn't be able to tell the 3 materials apart.
jqLzatRl.jpg
NCbl6Igl.jpg
rZ49MwXl.jpg

Be careful when you drill. It will be easy to push the epoxy out of the hole. I had to redo mine a couple of time when I did the back.
Yup, happened to me when I originally drilled the back out, and I had to redo it, thanks for the tip.

I cut the back of the case out rough. It needs to be filed down at the edges and I need to print the new back plate that will be going there. I clamped the piece I cut out of the back and I'm going to use it as a jig for the front holes that I'll be drilling. I went to drill the holes and realized that I only have 7/64 and 1/8 bits (2.8mm and 3.2mm). I tried the 7/64, and the holes just look out of place and not quite right. After going down to the local HW store and finding out that they don't carry metric bits, I have to wait for one to come in the mail.
4qNuttyl.jpg
aSzxDBAl.jpg

I got a prototype back panel printed and test fitted. I need to narrow the width of the back panel by about 2mm, but otherwise, the piece fits very well. I also mounted up the fans just as a test for the size of the screw holes.
Currently it is printed with hexagons instead of solid fill so it would be faster, but I think the final piece will be solid and I will drill holes where needed. I also need to print out some grills that will go over the fans
CutzM1Kl.jpg
FIpFCgJl.jpg
LpASucYl.jpg
QuUH9vyl.jpg

Cool! Is it expensive to print a part like that? Just to get an idea because I would like to buy a 3d printer but I was wondering about the price of printing.
The larger parts cost maybe 75c, but it depends on what filament you use. I prototype my parts in cheap Chinese filament that I got for $18/Kg, nicer stuff can cost $20-30/Kg, but it prints more reliably. The prusa is probably the best you can get if you want a top of the line entry level printer. There are clones available for about $200 that do the job at about 75-80% the quality of the original.

I got my 3mm drill bit in the mail today and go the front panel drilled out:
7i6AcH8l.jpg
4NSnNtPl.jpg

Under the right light, you can even tell the difference, so this should look perfect once pained.

Last edited:
I got the back plate epoxied in, and it looks decent. The plastic is a little flimsy, but when I screw the fans in, it adds a lot of rigidity, so I'm not too worried about it. I also have to print out some fan guards for the holes.
p8LQqull.jpg
Zp3hVbPl.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back