Contribute
Register

Hypno's G5 Mod

Status
Not open for further replies.
xjo5b04l.jpg

CcNpj5Ol.jpg

KDlJ6pjl.jpg

I took me awhile, but I finally got my logo mod finished for my GPU. The last picture really doesn't do it justice, I had to turn the light out and unfocus the camera to get it to hold an color. It's a very mild red glow, it definitely doesn't "shine" like it used to, which I'm actually happy about since now it's just letting you know it's there instead of capturing your eye right away.

I can finally get back to modding the case now.

I got my fan grills printed out, and I'm really happy with the way they turned out. Next up, I'm going to print a piece that will sit between the G5 CPU shroud and the fans like the original case had.
W0MuZ6il.jpg
AH8yesul.jpg
zPq0K3al.jpg

I got my fan shroud printed and I'm really happy with it! There are a few holes that I'll need to fill and sand, the surface is a bit rough, and it revealed a gap in the G5 shield that shows me the mounts I made to replace the PSU are not quite straight. All of these are fixable and I think it's going to look great after paint!
ogPyYGMl.jpg
HKWtlyHl.jpg
lcpag48l.jpg

I got the power supply mount completed yesterday, I'm happy with the shape, but I think it needs to be reinforced a bit.
0rBjUjzl.jpg

DDeL5hJl.jpg

Can I ask you something real quick? How did you get the two big metal pieces of the hull off? Do I really have to remove all screws that are holding the hull internally? Reason I ask is that I want to repaint the outer frame, but some of the internal screws I simply can't remove because they are too tight. So, any chance to remove the two big pieces with the screws still in? Looks to me like they are not really screwed into the outer shell, there are just some small nuts holding those.

Can I ask you something real quick? How did you get the two big metal pieces of the hull off? Do I really have to remove all screws that are holding the hull internally? Reason I ask is that I want to repaint the outer frame, but some of the internal screws I simply can't remove because they are too tight. So, any chance to remove the two big pieces with the screws still in? Looks to me like they are not really screwed into the outer shell, there are just some small nuts holding those.
Yes, every single screw needs to come out to remove it without causing damage. There are also some nuts on the back side of the side of the case. If you run your hand over the inside of the lip right where the side panel goes on you will feel them.

I would recommend getting a larger handled torx driver, it took me a few hours and two drivers to actually get all the screws out, just keep at it and you'll be able to get them out.

OK, got it now. The outer hull is off. What about the inner cage? I can't seperate the inner two half shells. They are being helt to this frame via these notches. Did you just hammer those out?

OK, got it now. The outer hull is off. What about the inner cage? I can't seperate the inner two half shells. They are being helt to this frame via these notches. Did you just hammer those out?
There should be 12 nuts at the two joints which hold down a metal plate. You can see the threads for the nuts in the left part of the picture below.
huyFfwSl.jpg

It's been a bit since I posted an update, but I've been slowly painting everything. Here's a sample of the G5 plate in red and black. It still needs a bit of touch up, but so far it looks pretty cool.
isBdna1l.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back