Contribute
Register

HWmonitor ruined my installation. Need FakeSMC recovery?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
Graphics
Gigabyte GTX960 4GB
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hello for all Hackintosh users.

A few weeks ago I did my first Hackintosh installation by Clover and managed without any problems. Everything worked perfectly. The system was faster than the latest iMac 27" Retina. :headbang:Thanks for the enormous dose of knowledge I have found in your guides and in forum.

But... I installed HWMonitor for monitoring the temperature of the CPU while rendering. Now the system will not boot. I can see the Apple logo for the two seconds and reset. I learned that HWMonitor installs FakeSMC and this can be a problem. I also have Windows 10 installed with the HFS partition explorer. I copy original FakeSMC to S/L/E by Windows. Nope. Dont work. So I mount the EFI partition in Windows. I cant get to it. :( But in the end somehow by Total Commander, I managed to remove sensors from FakeSMC.kext\Contents\Plugins in EFI. Still the same... I'm running out of ideas.
I also managed to reach the Terminal in RECOVERY HD only when I boot from Clover-USB. I heard that I can somehow copy FakeSMC from USB then paste into S/L/E. However, is not the same effect as the method of Windows?

If this has any meaning here is my setup:

Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD5H
Intel Core i7-4790K
Gigabyte GTX960 Windforce 2X 4GB GDDR5 (128bit)
G.Skill RipjawsZ DDR3 32GB - 4x8GB 2133MHz CL9
Ethernet: Intel GbE, Qualcomm Atheros Killer E2201
Audio: Realtek ALC1150

Is it possible to somehow restore the system to work? Is it a problem of FakeSMC or maybe something else? I would prefer not to install the entire system from scratch. I will be grateful for any help.

Keep Hackintoshing!

Hello for all Hackintosh users.

A few weeks ago I did my first Hackintosh installation by Clover and managed without any problems. Everything worked perfectly. The system was faster than the latest iMac 27" Retina. :headbang:Thanks for the enormous dose of knowledge I have found in your guides and in forum.

But... I installed HWMonitor for monitoring the temperature of the CPU while rendering. Now the system will not boot. I can see the Apple logo for the two seconds and reset. I learned that HWMonitor installs FakeSMC and this can be a problem. I also have Windows 10 installed with the HFS partition explorer. I copy original FakeSMC to S/L/E by Windows. Nope. Dont work. So I mount the EFI partition in Windows. I cant get to it. :( But in the end somehow by Total Commander, I managed to remove sensors from FakeSMC.kext\Contents\Plugins in EFI. Still the same... I'm running out of ideas.
I also managed to reach the Terminal in RECOVERY HD only when I boot from Clover-USB. I heard that I can somehow copy FakeSMC from USB then paste into S/L/E. However, is not the same effect as the method of Windows?

If this has any meaning here is my setup:

Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD5H
Intel Core i7-4790K
Gigabyte GTX960 Windforce 2X 4GB GDDR5 (128bit)
G.Skill RipjawsZ DDR3 32GB - 4x8GB 2133MHz CL9
Ethernet: Intel GbE, Qualcomm Atheros Killer E2201
Audio: Realtek ALC1150

Is it possible to somehow restore the system to work? Is it a problem of FakeSMC or maybe something else? I would prefer not to install the entire system from scratch. I will be grateful for any help.

Keep Hackintoshing!

FakeSMC.kext is the only absolutely mandatory kext, and is required for booting the system.

Copying FakeSMC.kext to S/L/E will not install the kext so it will not work that way.

What you can do though is to copy it to your Clover installation in EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other.

You can boot with your USB flash drive and then install FakeSMC.kext correctly with an application like KextBeast.

You can use the Intel Power Gadget to monitor temperature.

Thank you for your quick reply P1LGRIM.

Copy FakeSMC to your Clover installation in EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other - You mean the EFI partition on the system disk or USB?

If USB, I have to choose USB using F12 in BIOS? Then in Clover I choose booting from USB?

Copy FakeSMC to your Clover installation in EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other - You mean the EFI partition on the system disk or USB?

The EFI partition on the system disk, it should already be on the USB unless you deleted it there too.

If USB, I have to choose USB using F12 in BIOS? Then in Clover I choose booting from USB?

No, F12 then select USB as the boot device and when you reach the boot loader screen (Clover) choose your hard drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back