Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
z390 Aorus Pro
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
RX 580
I'm running a 9900K at stock speeds using a Noctua NH-D15. It manages the temperature well for everything except video exporting - where I regularly see the overheating alarm from HWMonitor. I should also mention it cannot handle Prime95 small FFTs (hits high 90s)

With video exporting I hit temps of around 85-87. Averaging more around mid to high 70s. I get the alarms when the temp hits 85 degrees.

My question is: is this okay? I'm not really hitting into the 90s. And I don't want to go water cooling. I've reseated the CPU cooler multiple times. I know that it's seated perfectly with just enough thermal paste. From what I've read the 9900k should be able to handle temperatures up to 100 degrees, with throttling at 95 degrees. So it seems that I should be safe with an average max load temp around the 75-78 with peaks to 85.

What does the HWmonitor overheating alarm mean? Is it just an alarm for a specific temperature?

Thanks for any advice anyone can provide!

Not sure if you're into this but you could try undervolting your processor in your BIOS which will greatly reduce the temperature your CPU produces. Solved the problem for my 7700k (back then with a really crappy cooler). Just try going tiny steps down (0.005V). If your system gets unstable or wont boot completely then you've gone to far. Undervolting won't harm your CPU or lower your performance, it will just use a bit less power and so stay cooler.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back