Contribute
Register

Huge News! Gigabyte UEFI Sleep/Wake with NO DSDT! [TESTING]

Status
Not open for further replies.
babidy said:
Hmm.....I am waiting till end of April to purchase a GOOD Next generation motherboard Z77 with PCIe 3, USB3, etc.. Asus a good brand? I have seen Maximus GENE etc, looks very cool but overprices. Asus boards will have no problem then??

No- this is a Gigabyte exclusive as far as i know. ASUS boards will still need either a patched .rom OR Speedstepper-patched kexts at each Software update.

tonymacx86 said:
babidy said:
Hmm.....I am waiting till end of April to purchase a GOOD Next generation motherboard Z77 with PCIe 3, USB3, etc.. Asus a good brand? I have seen Maximus GENE etc, looks very cool but overprices. Asus boards will have no problem then??

No- this is a Gigabyte exclusive as far as i know. ASUS boards will still need either a patched .rom OR Speedstepper-patched kexts at each Software update.
I would saw your face when your machine went to sleep and came back without any issue. :lol:

Well, we might as well ad the Z77X-UD5H to the list of boards that works, as I've tested that and it works just the same way.
You can wake it from sleep any which way, except possibly shouting at it, although MSI had some solution a while back that was meant to allow you to do that...
What wasn't said though is that currently speedstep isn't working as intended, so it's full speed ahead or nothing.

babidy said:
tonymacx86 said:
babidy said:

Thank you Tony! So I will go for GA. I hope they will release new boards soon.

What's wrong with the just announced models?

thelostswede said:
Well, we might as well ad the Z77X-UD5H to the list of boards that works, as I've tested that and it works just the same way.
You can wake it from sleep any which way, except possibly shouting at it, although MSI had some solution a while back that was meant to allow you to do that...
What wasn't said though is that currently speedstep isn't working as intended, so it's full speed ahead or nothing.

I wonder if Wake-on-USB works with a USB microphone...

Branhower said:
thelostswede said:

I wonder if Wake-on-USB works with a USB microphone...

Funny guy... :twisted:

Ok, we found a "small" problem and we've already solved it.
It turns out the 2500K CPU's we were using got stuck at 1.61GHz, or 16x multiplier.
To solve this you have to go into the Advanced CPU Core Features in the UEFI and enable Intel Turbo Boost Technology and CPU EIST Function. I.e. these two options have to be set to Enable, not Auto.
Doing this enables speed step, but the CPU doesn't appear to want to go any slower than 1.61GHz, although I saw it hit 3.41GHz in Turbo mode.

thelostswede said:
Ok, we found a "small" problem and we've already solved it.
It turns out the 2500K CPU's we were using got stuck at 1.61GHz, or 16x multiplier.
To solve this you have to go into the Advanced CPU Core Features in the UEFI and enable Intel Turbo Boost Technology and CPU ESIT Function. I.e. these two options have to be set to Enable, not Auto.
Doing this enables speed step, but the CPU doesn't appear to want to go any slower than 1.61GHz, although I saw it hit 3.41GHz in Turbo mode.

Not only is sleep/wake working without a DSDT, Speedstep is definitely working out of the box as well. I just got this using MSRDumper.kext:

pstates reached: 16 17 19 20 22 34

I just did a bunch of app opening and geekbench at the same time- there are probably more states to be achieved.

:thumbup:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back