3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Performa
  2. Power Mac
  3. PowerBook
  4. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I read that the WD Black SN75 works great with Monterey.
Will the WD Black SN750 also work flawlessly with High Sierra?

I just tried replacing my old Samsung M.2 drive with a Samsung 980 Pro M.2 and it resulted in a lot of freezes and crashes.
Swapped back to the old one, and now planning on getting the WD Black SN750 - if it will work.
Any info or experiences with that?

I read that the WD Black SN75 works great with Monterey.
Will the WD Black SN750 also work flawlessly with High Sierra?

I just tried replacing my old Samsung M.2 drive with a Samsung 980 Pro M.2 and it resulted in a lot of freezes and crashes.
Swapped back to the old one, and now planning on getting the WD Black SN750 - if it will work.
Any info or experiences with that?
Freezes are to be expected, due to synchronous Trim cycle. This hang should occur at mid/end boot unless Kernel > Quirks > SetApfsTrimTimeout = 0 for Big Sur+

Even if SetApfsTrimTimeout=0 it will still stall over a Trim cycle sometimes depending on whether FS was not cleanly unmounted.

Crashes are not to be expected in my experience with 980 Pro. Though I have seen hard errors with data corruption under MacOS with 980 Pro. These were reported my Windows Samsung Magician and found corrupt files with CCC.

I believe (can't demonstrate for sure) there's an edge-case APFS bug in Monterey that involves snapshots which may cause certain file system operations to hang. Only recourse is to reformat drive and avoid snapshots (which macOS uses for SSV). I have not seen this problem since Ventura which in my limited experience runs fine on 980 Pro with SetApfsTrimTimeout=0.

I got a SK Hynix P41 Platinum several months ago and it has been super smooth and reliable. Another user here said be careful because SK Hynix released another version of this drive named almost the same. My experience with this one has been perfect under both Monterey and Ventura.

I do not use NVMeFix with these drives. But I don't really know what NVMeFix does either. I think it's a power mgmt thing but I use a modern desktop and never solved sleep so maybe I'm not proper use case? Idk.

WD 750 Black has also been perfect.

Hth

Freezes are to be expected, due to synchronous Trim cycle. This hang should occur at mid/end boot unless Kernel > Quirks > SetApfsTrimTimeout = 0 for Big Sur+

Even if SetApfsTrimTimeout=0 it will still stall over a Trim cycle sometimes depending on whether FS was not cleanly unmounted.

Crashes are not to be expected in my experience with 980 Pro. Though I have seen hard errors with data corruption under MacOS with 980 Pro. These were reported my Windows Samsung Magician and found corrupt files with CCC.

I believe (can't demonstrate for sure) there's an edge-case APFS bug in Monterey that involves snapshots which may cause certain file system operations to hang. Only recourse is to reformat drive and avoid snapshots (which macOS uses for SSV). I have not seen this problem since Ventura which in my limited experience runs fine on 980 Pro with SetApfsTrimTimeout=0.

I got a SK Hynix P41 Platinum several months ago and it has been super smooth and reliable. Another user here said be careful because SK Hynix released another version of this drive named almost the same. My experience with this one has been perfect under both Monterey and Ventura.

I do not use NVMeFix with these drives. But I don't really know what NVMeFix does either. I think it's a power mgmt thing but I use a modern desktop and never solved sleep so maybe I'm not proper use case? Idk.

WD 750 Black has also been perfect.

Hth
Thanks a lot for taking time to respond.
Not sure what the take-away is re the WD 750 Black and High Sierra, as I can´t tell if you´re commenting on experiences with High Sierra or later OS?

Apologies, I overlooked specific q re High Sierra.

I have no direct comment on that. I was reporting since Big Sur.

But because I love the sound of my own voice I will chip in my 20c on your q:

The way I would think about the risk is that HS appeared well after Apple moved various HW to NVMe, so it's got experience going for it.

If I recall, HS was at point where APFS was no longer optional—or right at edge where HFS+ install was allowed only with special attention. But the APFS macOS SSV had not yet appeared. So a lot of change was fomenting in macOS at that time, straddling between eras.

Add to thinking that APFS is not one thing, it is an ever evolving codebase with ongoing updates and prolly many bugs along the way, whereas HFS+ was very well established.

Cataina imposed APFS but still not SSV. So quiet before storm of Big Sur 11.2 (or thereabouts).

Plus, NVMe was just going big in PC around same time as HS... So potentials for compatibility headaches are rising but not quite into this era yet.

I have never read a bad report on SN750 in any context and it's late gen controller. If any NVMe drive is going to work reliably, I'd expect it to be that one.

I personally would not hang around back with that old SW unless you have a show-stopping reason, because it's just asking for problems.

But honestly, I am not well informed, just talking about my very narrow NVMe experience and tracking these boards since 2021.

Apologies, I overlooked specific q re High Sierra.

I have no direct comment on that. I was reporting since Big Sur.

But because I love the sound of my own voice I will chip in my 20c on your q:

The way I would think about the risk is that HS appeared well after Apple moved various HW to NVMe, so it's got experience going for it.

If I recall, HS was at point where APFS was no longer optional—or right at edge where HFS+ install was allowed only with special attention. But the APFS macOS SSV had not yet appeared. So a lot of change was fomenting in macOS at that time, straddling between eras.

Add to thinking that APFS is not one thing, it is an ever evolving codebase with ongoing updates and prolly many bugs along the way, whereas HFS+ was very well established.

Cataina imposed APFS but still not SSV. So quiet before storm of Big Sur 11.2 (or thereabouts).

Plus, NVMe was just going big in PC around same time as HS... So potentials for compatibility headaches are rising but not quite into this era yet.

I have never read a bad report on SN750 in any context and it's late gen controller. If any NVMe drive is going to work reliably, I'd expect it to be that one.

I personally would not hang around back with that old SW unless you have a show-stopping reason, because it's just asking for problems.

But honestly, I am not well informed, just talking about my very narrow NVMe experience and tracking these boards since 2021.
Hehe, thanks for the update - and the sound of your voice/words ;)

I agree with you that running this ancient SW is an issue, although I will say that my system is remarkably stable and has very few issues.
I can't update due to the good old Nvidia driver problem, and AMD is not an option as I work with 3d rendering in software that is optimized for Nvidia.
Besides, AMD is generally way behind when it comes to GPUs, and the ones I can choose for the late Hackintosh builds are on par with or slower than the 1080Ti I have in my current machine running HS.
So, I have abandoned Mac OS altogether re 3D and built a dedicated render PC with dual 3090s. My Hackintosh is still my daily driver, it's just gotten slower, and especially the boot drive (with an older Samsung M.2 drive running SATA (I think) is losing speed and is getting a bit worn.
This long-ass story to arrive at my point, which is that I want an M.2 drive for Pcie that works OOB. The 980 Pro I purchased has found a new home in the PC instead, and seems to work just fine, although my CPU and MB are only Gen 3 and so can't take advantage of the 980s Gen 4 speed. Silly me, I should have done my homework.
So, bottom line: I was hoping the WD 750 Black 1TB could do the trick.
If I understand you correctly, you think it should; or at least it hasn't been reported as being incompatible with HS..?

On forum, SN750 is considered gold. And mine has never hiccuped.

I moved on to another model bc I wanted to see what happens with PCI4 and perf. SK Hynix P41 Platinum was topping perf charts last summer so I tried. No regrets.

On forum, SN750 is considered gold. And mine has never hiccuped.

I moved on to another model bc I wanted to see what happens with PCI4 and perf. SK Hynix P41 Platinum was topping perf charts last summer so I tried. No regrets.
Thanks! Good to hear. Guess I'll jump on a 750 then :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back