Contribute
Register

HP ZBOOK G5 17

I installed my P4200 graphics card on the G5 notebook, and then the CPU power consumption in MAC OS is limited to 23W. I think this is a BIOS mechanism judgment. There is a unique display that prioritizes the power consumption to the graphics card, although the graphics card does not work. I hope you can work out a new EFI OC boot as soon as possible, and let the notebook BIOS determine that there is no independent display installed, so that the 8750H can run at full power consumption.

Ok figured out the way to remove the power limiter.

Something (I suspect the EC) is enabling the limiter at boot and after wake, so I did a replace patch on a Method that executes after this happens.

Before patch:
Screen Shot 2021-11-22 at 2.46.52 PM.png

After the patch:
Screen Shot 2021-11-22 at 2.48.35 PM.png

The patch now correctly works from boot and after wake from sleep.
It disables the extra power limiter that is enabled by default in Hybrid/Auto/Discrete GPU mode.

The way my patch works is it replaces the platform RDSS Method and in my new version, The Method XMXX is executed at the end of RDSS. In the Method XMXX I change the SystemMemory at offset 0xFED159A0 to remove and lock the power limiter.

POWA.jpg

With some adjusting, this patch could be used for other laptops that have a similar power limiter enabled.

Use at your own risk

This patch does the same thing that Throttlestop does, and all other power limits are still in place (Battery, Thermal, etc...)
Credit for offset/settings & Throttlestop: unclewebb

Attachments

• Power Limit Remove.zip
    6.4 KB · Views: 114
Last edited:
Ok figured out the way to remove the power limiter.

Something (I suspect the EC) is enabling the limiter at boot and after wake, so I did a replace patch on a Method that executes after this happens.

Before patch:
View attachment 535328

After the patch:
View attachment 535330

The patch now correctly works from boot and after wake from sleep.
It disables the extra power limiter that is enabled by default in Hybrid/Auto/Discrete GPU mode.

The way my patch works is it replaces the platform RDSS Method and in my new version, The Method XMXX is executed at the end of RDSS. In the Method XMXX I change the SystemMemory at offset 0xFED159A0 to remove and lock the power limiter.

View attachment 535332

With some adjusting, this patch could be used for other laptops that have a similar power limiter enabled.

Use at your own risk

This patch does the same thing that Throttlestop does, and all other power limits are still in place (Battery, Thermal, etc...)
Credit for offset/settings & Throttlestop: unclewebb
alright, thank you very much.

WX20211123-191244@2x.png

WX20211123-204652@2x.png

cpu.png

Very good, completely solved the CPU frequency reduction problem, thank you very much.

Is the dual monitor output solved? In the case of dGPU, there is any progress in the issue of DP or HDMI output, I look forward to it.

Last edited:
Very good, completely solved the CPU frequency reduction problem, thank you very much.

Is the dual monitor output solved? In the case of dGPU, there is any progress in the issue of DP or HDMI output, I look forward to it.
Glad the CPU power limit patch worked for you also.

I haven't been able to figure out where the DDC lines are getting switched. I have a good understanding of what is happening, but not how to fix it unfortunately.

ZBOOK-GPU.jpg

We know 2 of the 4 addresses needed to properly change the entire configuration. Those DDC/I2C lines have to be switched but it may be just one switch with multiple settings or 2 or more switches. So that part is still a mystery.

Or maybe we need something like this

Last edited:
@jonto The SSDT for power limit has a typo, it changes the variable to 0x00800000 and it should be 0x80000000.

I've uploaded a fixed version.

Remember rolling back to sept 2019 bios and get Undervolt with Voltageshift is the most important thing for performance - even more than TDP unlock...

Remember rolling back to sept 2019 bios and get Undervolt with Voltageshift is the most important thing for performance - even more than TDP unlock...
Yes. I used a programmer to downgrade to 1.04.05 from 01.17.00, but 1.04.05 is too old and upgraded to 1.07.01. I had a swollen battery in the early stage, and I updated the battery. Now using 1.07.01, the fan speed is faster, which is also helpful for heat dissipation. But I think 1.06.03 is better. Starting from 1.07, it is not possible to adjust the voltage in intel XTU. 1.06.03 can adjust the voltage in intel xtu.
微信截图_20211128140301.png

on MacOs you have voltageshift to do undervolt
I use it on all my laps and it's night and day usually - even though i had some crash at -30 other at -170

@jonto can you do a small write up of the procedure you used to flash the older bios?
What programmer did you use?
What software?
Did you have to de-solder the bios chip?
Were there any problems with the digital license keys / feature byte (Windows)
Any problems or compatibility with newer EC firmware, or with Management Engine?
etc...

@jonto can you do a small write up of the procedure you used to flash the older bios?
What programmer did you use?
What software?
Did you have to de-solder the bios chip?
Were there any problems with the digital license keys / feature byte (Windows)
Any problems or compatibility with newer EC firmware, or with Management Engine?
etc...
Yes, this is the problem I studied when I bought this engineering machine notebook in 2019. At that time, I could not update the ME when I bought it. So I studied for a long time and finally successfully updated the ME. Intel’s current notebook BIOS cannot be used directly after being transferred to storage, because the backup BIOS ME part has been written with information, you must use Intel FIT software to re-create a new BIOS, which includes the pure ME provided by Intel. After writing to your machine in this way, it will start to work normally.

I have a good BIOS, which needs to be plugged in using a programmer. Because after the BIOS of HP ZBook is upgraded, the HP limit cannot be downgraded back to the old version, which is very annoying. So I updated the BIOS with a programmer.

The programmer I used is the model in the picture. Our BIOS chip is a low-voltage chip, so we need to use a programmer that supports 3.3v and 1.8v, otherwise the chip will be burned. You can also buy our BIOS chip, let the seller help you clean up the BIOS program and send it over. Chip model: W25Q256JVEIQ 25Q256JVEQ WSON8 8X6 32MB 256Mbit, you can also open the back cover to see your own model, universal.
TB2ER7crodnpuFjSZPhXXbChpXa_!!83924604.jpg_400x400.jpg
微信截图_20211201100054.jpg

Windows activation information will not change, because our notebook has dual BIOS settings. When a new blank BIOS is installed, the notebook will automatically restore the correct information from the motherboard BIOS to the new BIOS when it is turned on. I change the BIOS at will and write the information directly. Of course there is a problem, because the MAC address of my network card is written, if my BIOS is restored, your MAC address may change, but this can be changed.

I learned and updated from this website, and hope to help you.https://www.win-raid.com/t596f39-Intel-Converged-Security-Management-Engine-Drivers-Firmware-and-Tools.html

3.jpg

Attachments

• 2019.8.21Q80ME1433OK.rar
    7.7 MB · Views: 113
Back