Contribute
Register

HP ZBOOK G5 17

Solved! Was a corrupt download of ocbinarydata at first.

** Updated EFI for performance

Switched to RealtekPCIeCardReader.kext (great speed improvement)

-Update will need the OC 6.9 Resources downloaded from github

Current EFI - https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/hp-zbook-g5-17.266012/post-2158182

Also added HP Aomorhid rom for WX-4170 DGPU (performance improvement)

Thank you very much for your post, let me solve the problem of sleep and screen saver wake up black screen. I am also ZBOOK 17 G5, I7 8750H+32GB+P4200, my current problem is that my UMA intel 630, p4200 is turned off, I can’t connect the external monitor via Thunderbolt or HDMI MINI DP interface, I see you have solved it in your introduction These questions, can you help me analyze the reasons?

Attached is my EFI

Attachments

• EFI 3.zip
    29.5 MB · Views: 67
I've spent some time trying to solve the external display problem myself.
If the MXM slot is empty, then my UMA config works perfectly and external displays work.
But if there's a DGPU (turned off) in the MXM slot, then something changes in acpi and the mux chip still defaults to the dgpu.
Both windows and Linux don't have this problem, so I thought it could be a generic or at least very common acpi switch, but digging deeper it looks more like it's not a switch but rather how the os requests the screen that's the problem.
I believe I have found at least one of the mux control variables, but I can't seem to find a way to force the switch, or make it stay. Or even if it's the right mux chip. (There's at least 2, one for the lcd and one for external displays)
@EdwardGeo and I have been working on this problem as well as the WX card working on Catalina, but so far it's been a lot more involved than expected. The laptop has a lot of security features that block progress one way or another.

The only "workaround" so far is to plug external screen, press power button and close lid. The main screen will switch to the external display.
Problem is you don't get the LCD screen back, there's no hdmi audio, and only one external screen.

I've spent some time trying to solve the external display problem myself.
If the MXM slot is empty, then my UMA config works perfectly and external displays work.
But if there's a DGPU (turned off) in the MXM slot, then something changes in acpi and the mux chip still defaults to the dgpu.
Both windows and Linux don't have this problem, so I thought it could be a generic or at least very common acpi switch, but digging deeper it looks more like it's not a switch but rather how the os requests the screen that's the problem.
I believe I have found at least one of the mux control variables, but I can't seem to find a way to force the switch, or make it stay. Or even if it's the right mux chip. (There's at least 2, one for the lcd and one for external displays)
@EdwardGeo and I have been working on this problem as well as the WX card working on Catalina, but so far it's been a lot more involved than expected. The laptop has a lot of security features that block progress one way or another.

The only "workaround" so far is to plug external screen, press power button and close lid. The main screen will switch to the external display.
Problem is you don't get the LCD screen back, there's no hdmi audio, and only one external screen.
I can’t show you now, but with help of user @gpot I received high quality scans of pcb. We trying to map gpu smbus tracks path to Embedded Controller. And what could be useful for you: mxm has more than few connections from mxm to EC. So even when you poweroff gpu, some pins are still working fine with EC, like maybe lowpower or highpower, or pnp mossfets that with GPIO helping EC firmware to understand that mxm gpu is present. Try to look at schematics of 5-8 cpu gen hp laptops with mxm.
93076577-3F58-4E37-A6D7-8F31ACE6E223.png
1EA55D47-3C28-4CD2-8E08-CBB488407434.jpeg

Edit1
Don’t forget about the data sheet I send you.G5 mux are not Gpio, but I2C. So the mux device should receive signal with address, command and data. I want to buy smbus debug usb device to try capture the way the devices are talking. But it’s risky as I don’t know clock frequency, and I don’t have oscillator to read frequency. I will try it with old pc first. Acpi can read data from bus. If you know that transmission data package, then possibly you can send fake gmux (mac mux) to those method. Or I don’t know. Acpi is unknown for me...

Will add some more later.

Last edited:
Thank you, thank you for your sharing and dedication. I am very excited. Now there is still another problem. I have a dual system of win10+mac. After changing your files, I can't use clover to boot win10 into the system. I get stuck on the desktop and it takes a long time to respond. The time of the win10 system has also changed.
You can press F9 at boot to select your windows drive, or like me use refind as your main chain loader.
I don't like what open core does to Windows, so refind is first and from there it's opencore or windows.

Back