Contribute
Register

HP ZBOOK G5 17

If you remove the card, you can run up to 4 displays at the same time, internal LCD + 3 external.

I can't wait to try this. Unfortunately tomorrow I will need the laptop up and running for work, so I will need to switch back to Windows. But I will try asap.

I will eventually try to make a SSDT patch to enable the connectors for iGPU even with a deactivated DGPU in place.

This would be fantastic. This laptop is a pain in the ass to work with the hardware. I remember when I had to open it to install more DIMMs... nightmare.

@theroadw, how about your testing with Big Sur? I have tried it with your UEFI but sound was not working... I tried a quick troubleshoot, but switched back to Mojave...

I only briefly booted Big Sur just to make sure it worked, but since I need the WX-4170 card to work, I decided to spend my time fighting Catalina first, so I erased BS.

BS is too new and has too many issues for now. The good news is that if you're going UDMA without a DGPU, you can run Catalina and everything works perfectly.

I have another thread in this forum where I managed to get the WX-4170 DGPU to boot Catalina, it is still work in progress, but will get there eventually.

edit:

I haven't tested it, but apparently to fix sound in Big Sur the solution (by slice) is to:

1. Set restricted enabled SIP

<key>CsrActiveConfig</key>
<string>0x0285</string>

2. Copy the kext into LE

sudo cp -R /path_to_kext/VoodooHDA.kext /Library/Extensions

3. The system will ask you to look into System Preferences -> Security and enable VoodooHDA

reboot

Last edited:
Thanks for the updates @theroad

I have come this far trying to remove the physical Nvidia P100 Mobile but here I realized that I had to remove many small connectors or even the motherboard. To be honest I didn't found the card location (reading service manual too).

Attachments

• 20210510_195831.jpg
    20210510_195831.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 57

I have come this far trying to remove the physical Nvidia P100 Mobile but here I realized that I had to remove many small connectors or even the motherboard. To be honest I didn't found the card location (reading service manual too).
That doesn't look anything like mine, are you sure it's a G5 17"?
It looks more like a 15" and the DGPU is part of the motherboard and can't be removed

it may be easier to mod your bios to disable the nvidia chip

it may be easier to mod your bios to disable the nvidia chip
In the HP Zbook G1-G4 15" and G1-G6 17" models the DGPU is a removable MXM card, and it takes 5 minutes to open the ZBook and remove the card. But I believe @deejah's Zbook is a 15" G5 and that year HP removed the MXM option from that model and only kept it for the 17".

The problem is not deactivating the DGPU, but enabling the external connectors to add more monitors, and in my tests that can only be done with a working DGPU or if the MXM slot is empty. (it can be done as windows can do it, but don't know how to yet...)

In deejah's case I believe the best option to get external displays would be to use a EGPU, or try to get High Sierra to work (tricky because of CoffeeLake, so may need to run the installer in another compatible computer, then update to latest HS, then it works) and then try the Webdrivers. But the problem with those is that most likely the P1000 will not have an Nvidia ROM, and in all my tests with Nvidia cards, if they don't have a ROM, the drivers refuse to work, and there's no way to inject them like with AMD cards.

That doesn't look anything like mine, are you sure it's a G5 17"?
It looks more like a 15" and the DGPU is part of the motherboard and can't be removed

Shame on me. It is a G5 15"... sorry for that.

Looks like my Hackintosh dream is coming to an end :(

Back