Contribute
Register

HP ZBOOK G5 17

@WhenMusicAttacks

A gift, I compiled VoodooI2C with 2 button support and reduced the wake reset delay to 6s. (12 seconds was driving me nuts) So far it seems to be working correctly.

Make sure Force Click is OFF in Trackpad preferences.

Edit- I just noticed that when I compiled VoodooI2CHID, that Debug mode was ON and a keylogger was active. I just turned it off in the newly attached version.

Attachments

• VoodooI2C-2Button-Zbook.zip
    195.4 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
@theroadw: Just curious, but does your setup boot El Capitan, by any chance? That's the OS the old machine I've been trying to move on from is still stuck on; I was going to migrate it over into a spare partition and then start copying things over to Catalina or Big Sur.

@theroadw: Just curious, but does your setup boot El Capitan, by any chance? That's the OS the old machine I've been trying to move on from is still stuck on; I was going to migrate it over into a spare partition and then start copying things over to Catalina or Big Sur.
I never tried, but I doubt there's support for the Coffee Lake CPU on El Capitan. I understand you can fake Kaby Lake on High Sierra install and then after updating to 10.13.6 you get native Coffee Lake support. But that's as far back as I've tested.

Ohh also another gift...

If you want fan readouts, copy SMCSuperIO.kext to your kexts folder, then copy the "Add Fans" device properties and set the SMCSuperIO.kext to load in your config.plist

And you're set, both fans. however there's a bug in HWMonitorSMC2 where it doesn't recognize the fan devices. You can use iStat menus, or Macs Fan Control. Or you can use the attached adjusted version of HWMonitorSMC2.

Attachments

• ZBookG5-Fans.zip
    6.5 MB · Views: 86

I never tried, but I doubt there's support for the Coffee Lake CPU on El Capitan. I understand you can fake Kaby Lake on High Sierra install and then after updating to 10.13.6 you get native Coffee Lake support. But that's as far back as I've tested.
Fair enough; I can always spin a (raw-disk?) VM up instead if need be. Let me know if you ever figure that out, though.

rehabman guide were never that easy to read to me (somehow the way he writes taking everything else as given...)
Forgot to ask: what are some examples of what you find confusing there? (Just curious.)

Last edited:
Updated EFI folder with all my latest tweaks.
I believe this is as good as I can get this machine running.

Working
- AMD WX-1470 DGPU 4GB VRAM
- UHD630 with 1536MB VRAM - (2048MB in UMA mode)
- CPU, GPU and WX-4170 Power Managment
- Brightness controls (mapped to f3 and f4)
- Thunderbolt3 / USB type C data and video @4K (w/hotplug)
- HDMI and Mini-DVI video @4K
- USB type A ports (2.0 & 3.0)
- Native NVRAM
- Audio - internal mic, speakers, headphone jack (+sense) and HDMI on all video outputs
- Intel Bluetooth, able to toggle on/off
- I2C ALPS trackpad w/2 button support and 5 finger gestures
- PS2 keyboard w/SSDT Brightness/Volume keys re-mapping
- Battery management
- intel WiFi up to 300mb/s
- Fan Sensors (left and right)
- Webcam
- SD Card Reader
- Gigabit Ethernet
- Sleep
- DRM in discrete mode (on external displays in hybrid)
- File Vault

Current EFI - https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/hp-zbook-g5-17.266012/post-2158182

* To control wifi you need to download HeliPort or you can switch to AirportItlwm (https://github.com/OpenIntelWireless)
* For DRM fixes follow this post: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/hp-zbook-g5-17.266012/post-2200447 or use shikigva
* I included SSDT-xNVME.aml which I use to completely disable my windows NVME drive that is not compatible with OSX and causes kernel panics if mounted read/write and also randomly at boot. I find it's more reliable than just not mounting the volume editing fstab. It needs to be enabled in the ACPI section in config.plist and adjusted to your non-compatible NVME drive path.
* Trackpad needs "Force Click" OFF in System Settings to work properly.

Notes:

HDMI audio should now work on external displays if using UMA mode. (Only one external video outputs will work in UMA mode if MXM card slot is populated when laptop is started with lid closed)
WX-4170 GPU doesn't work on Catalina or Big Sur, so for these OS versions we need to use UMA config to disable the card. (no need to change Bios settings)

Modified Kexts:
-CPUFriendDataProvider is specific to my CPU, will need to be modified if you have a different CPU.
-VoodooHDA info.plist is modified to only attach to the Connexant CX8400 Codec and leave the iGPU and dGPU codecs to AppleALC for HDMI hotplug function. It is also modified to automatically switch from speaker to headphone on plug insertion.
-PolarisZBook_WX4170 is custom plist kext to inject power play tables and device properties to the AMD Video driver for better power management.
-SMCSuperIO is custom built to include generic EC controller for fan support (now included in release)
-VoodooI2CHID is custom built to add 2 button support

Things still in the to-do list:

- DGPU in Catalina or Big Sur
- DRM using Hybrid mode for internal display
- External headset microphone detection
- Trackstick

Last edited:
Hi, this is my fist post. First of all, I would like to thank you guys to share your work in here to help the community.

I have been working with Unix and Linux for many years, but I am completely new in Hackintosh. So I apologise in advance for any dumb question.

I have a Zbook with the following configuration:

# Specs
- CPU: Intel Core i7-8850H CPU @ 2.60GHz
- Motherboard Hewlett-Packard HP ZBook 17 G5
- Motherboard Chipset: Intel Cannon Lake
- iGPU: Intel(R) UHD Graphics 630
- dGPU: Nvidia Quadro P1000 Mobile
- Audio Adapter: not sure --- but not worried about it now, audio is OK
- Thunderbolt 3 Titan Ridge 4C 2018
- WiFi: Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 9560 Jefferson Peak
- Ethernet: Intel(R) Ethernet Connection I219-LM
- Touchpad: AlpsPS/2 ALPS Dualpoint

Current installation:

- Mojave 10.14.6 installed using Opencore 0.6.9
- EFI folder from @thereoadw (attached)
- Changed content from BOOT folder to the one that comes with new OC version (otherwise it will not boot)
- Booting in hybrid mode
- Using hybrid "config.plist" from @theroadw - adjusted system serial, uuid, etc.

I just start using this PC with this configuration, and my main problems at the moment are:

- External display is not working - via HDMI or Thunderbolt
- Keyboard working fine, but touchpad left click is not behaving as expected - when I click using in the browser, it opens a popup - on the icons of the panel sometimes do nothing, sometimes works as if I was using the right click --- and right click is not working at all

Can you guys please give me some light on this problems?

Thank you very much.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    42.4 MB · Views: 60
- External display is not working - via HDMI or Thunderbolt
Unfortunately only 1 external display will work in your configuration if you change your bios to UMA and boot in clamshell closed mode, or all your ports if you physically remove the P1000 card.
- Keyboard working fine, but touchpad left click is not behaving as expected - when I click using in the browser, it opens a popup - on the icons of the panel sometimes do nothing, sometimes works as if I was using the right click --- and right click is not working at all
Make sure Force Click option in system preferences -> trackpad is off

There is s small chance you could fake your device-id and trick webdrivers into working with your P1000 using High Sierra. I tried with my P5200 but it didn't work, but that is one whole generation later.

Last edited:
Make sure Force Click option in system preferences -> trackpad is off

You nailed it. Clicks are working fine now. What I realised just now is that "tap to click" is not working. Any tip?

Unfortunately only 1 external display will work in your configuration if you change your bios to UDMA and boot in clamshell closed mode, or all your ports if you physically remove the P1000 card.

- If I change boot mode to UDMA, do I need to change to UDMA config.plist?
- What I really want to do is work with 2 external monitor + laptop display. If I remove the card, do I need to use UDMA or make any other change?

Tap to click works in my system, but not before you login.
- If I change boot mode to UDMA, do I need to change to UDMA config.plist?
Won't change anything unless you remove the card.
UMA config enables 4 frame buffer connectors, but they only work if there's no DGPU card at the moment.
I will eventually try to make a SSDT patch to enable the connectors for iGPU even with a deactivated DGPU in place.
- What I really want to do is work with 2 external monitor + laptop display. If I remove the card, do I need to use UDMA or make any other change?
If you remove the card, you can run up to 4 displays at the same time, internal LCD + 3 external.
And for that, you'll need to switch to the UMA config.

Last edited:
Back