Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
Hi,

I'm looking at buying an HP Z400 or a Mac Pro 4,1 as a second Mac for web development work. I have a MacBook Pro 2011 which is great and maxed out at 16Gb with a 512Gb SSD which I have 2x Virtualbox Linux hosts as database and webservers and then the Microsoft Modern IE Virtualbox Images that I use for testing the dreading IE incompatibilities.

I'd like to get a machine I can run 24 or 32Gb RAM on, stuff with disks and run a triple screen setup on, hence the move to buy a desktop.

I'm planning on buying a GTX 750ti or a used GTX 760, I think the GTX 760 will run from the stock Apple driver whereas the new Maxwell GTX 750ti will need the NVidia web driver, I'd prefer as close to stock setup as possible but don't mind the NVidia web driver as long as there are no issues.

Can I run the GTX750ti in a genuine 2009 Mac Pro? As I understand it I'll miss out on the gray boot screen until the driver loads, after that it should be okay??

Does anyone here run the Z400 and is it a reliable daily driver? Is there anything that does not work or is 'glitchy' eg Sleep/Resume any weirdnesses?

I can see the Z400 spec is very very close to the X58 Xeon based 2009 Mac Pro hence why I'm going with it. I do have the option on a genuine Mac Pro but as usual it's 3x the price for a much lower spec.

Z400 - Xeon X5650 with X58 chipset and 16GB with new 128GB SSD
MacPro 2009 - Xeon W3520 with X58 chipset and 8Gb plus ancient 640Gb drive

I'm pretty technically literate and somehow managed to get Mavericks on a T420 Thinkpad though I haven't seen it for dust since my girlfriend made off with it.

I don't want to have to be fixing things on a daily or weekly basis, I do expect some hassle, kext reinstalls if there's a major update etc.. and I'll be running a triple screen setup (which my MacBook sadly will not do)

Thanks for any advice.

Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
Thanks for all the advice. I bought a mint Mac Pro 4,1 with 32GB ram on ebay for £475, I've ordered a W3680 CPU for £120 it should Geekbench around 16000 when swapped in all for under £600. I'm bringing my 512Gb SSD over from my MacBook, happy days!

This site was invaluable for steering my away from the hackintosh, for a few years at least...
http://pindelski.org/Photography/2013/06/26/mac-pro-2009-part-i/

Status
Not open for further replies.