Contribute
Register

HP Z220 CMT Workstation install Mojave / Catalina (Clover) & Big sur (Open Core)

Hi,can you send me EFI folder, I try install clover, but it didn't work for me, and Thanks for this topic;)
i will update OpenCore to 0.6.5 and attach it to the thread !
the BIOS settings remain the same, but i have to check it !

Hello !
I would like to address a huge Thank You because I successfully managed to install a clean Catalina 10.15.7 on my HP Z220. Since I use the HD4000 onboard graphics, I simply modified the Mac ID to "iMac13,1" and the adequate PCI value as described on the OC guide. It went OK on the first attempt !
Everything works perfectly (Ethernet, sound, sleep/wake, graphics acceleration...)

The only thing I notice is when I try a Geekbench 5, I am not super impressed with the resulting score: My score is 759 single core / 3032 multi core. I have a core i7 3770 CPU, which should be better than the iMac 2012 with i5 processors.

Do you think that this is due to:
- HP Z220 motherboard / lack of hardware optimisation ?
- Settings to tweak in BIOS ? (I didn't notice any kind of parameters related to timings...)
- Opencore limitation => Is there something to try in config.plist to optimise performance?

Thanks again for all that great work ! :) I'm very happy with my new Hackintosh !

Last edited:
OK, I think I have an idea about the limitation in performance on this Z220.
It seems that the i7 turbo boost mode is not enabled. The i7-3770 stays at its nominal core frequency of 3.4 Ghz and never goes beyond this.
I can clearly see this with the Intel Power Gadget tool.

When I use the same tool on my Mac mini 2012, the max frequency with turbo mode is immediately displayed.

So maybe the power tweaks of open core disable the Intel turbo boost... If some experts here could help to investigate it would be great ! :)
I think a good starting point could be :

Last edited:
OK ! Well I followed the procedure described above in "optimising power management / OpenCore Post-Install" and this seems to be a full success.
The turbo boost mode is now OK at 3.9 Ghz, clearly visible in the Intel Power Gadget app.

The Geekbench 5 score increased :
- Single core : from 759 to 858 (+13%)
- Multi core : from 3032 to 3245

Not too bad (but maybe I was expecting more from the Turbo Boost in benchmarks!)

One last trick : I had to enable "virtualisation" in the BIOS in order to make Parallels Desktop work properly.
This is absolutely not a problem, both Virtualization settings are now Enabled and it works flawlessly.

Hello !
Another nice information : this EFI folder / config.plist is 100% compatible with Big Sur. You just have to change the device ID to iMac15,1. Everything works 100% perfect (Ethernet, WIFI, sleep, graphics, audio).
Absolutely no problem.
I simply used the upgrade path from Catalina to Big Sur...

Hello everybody... I'm trying to hack my Z220... I've booted on the USB drive and even on a macOS partition on a USB3 drive without any problem... BUT... my SATA drives aren't seen by macOS ?! I've set the BIOS to RAID+AHCI (no way to choose only AHCI) ..and my three SATA drives are displayed during boot and in the BIOS. I don't get it... did I miss something ? Thanks for help and thanks for this topic !

Back