Contribute
Register

HP Z220 CMT Workstation install Mojave / Catalina (Clover) & Big sur (Open Core)

Which GPUs does this work with?
Any AMD GPU that works with Big Sur will work with Monterey. So an RX570/80 or any of the workstation cards like the WX4100 or 7100 will be usable.

I know it's been almost a year since this was posted, but does this work with macOS Monterey? Which GPUs does this work with?
i do not have acces to my HP Z220 anymore, sow i can not test anything at the moment sadly.

MacOS Big Sur successfully installed with this EFI
Might you happen to have upgraded to Monterey? Install to Big Sur is successful with no issues once the SMBIOS was set to iMacPro1,1. As far as I knew, upgrading to v .8 of OpenCore is supposed to allow an upgrade to Monterey.
Thoughts?

I am getting "A required firmware update could not be installed". I have tried using the v .8 of OpenCore with your config file as v .8 is supposed to fix that. I have tried the fix here and it does not resolve the issue.
I have a dedicated GPU - AMD 7700 and the same Xeon processor in mine.

Last edited:
I run Monterey 12.4 on the Z220 (i7, 32 Go RAM, AMD RX 570 graphics) and it works perfect.

I use OpenCore v0.7.5. I installed it with Monterey 12.1 and applied the subsequent Monterey upgrades the classic way without any hitch.
I did not get any message related to firmware.

However, I used the "MacPro6,1" ID, which is recommended for Ivy bridges machines running Monterey...

MacOS Ventura has just been announced by Apple.
The list of supported hardware is super restricted regarding Intel Macs.
So the "MacPro6,1" SMBIOS ID won't do the trick anymore...

I someone could test the MacPro7,1 ID with Monterey to check for USB / sleep compatibility it would be great and a good thing to prepare to the upcoming Ventura release !!

Might you happen to have upgraded to Monterey? Install to Big Sur is successful with no issues once the SMBIOS was set to iMacPro1,1. As far as I knew, upgrading to v .8 of OpenCore is supposed to allow an upgrade to Monterey.
Thoughts?
Hello, I have not come here for a long time, and I only used macOS Big Sur, I did not try to install macOS Monterey on mine HP Z220 with a Intel Xeon CPU.

Hello,
No problem here with Monterey, but never tried with Ventura... (I migrated to a newer Dell XPS 8930 since).

Hello,
No problem here with Monterey, but never tried with Ventura... (I migrated to a newer Dell XPS 8930 since).
with monterey, setting mac pro 6.1 I can't enable graphics acceleration using rx 560...I disabled igpu from bios but maybe I have to use some patch in OP or ACPI to cheat macos.
Did you manage to do it?

with monterey, setting mac pro 6.1 I can't enable graphics acceleration using rx 560...I disabled igpu from bios but maybe I have to use some patch in OP or ACPI to cheat macos.
Did you manage to do it?
Yes, It was working perfectly. Sadly I don't have the machine anymore...

Yes, It was working perfectly. Sadly I don't have the machine anymore..
OK thank you.
I can get graphics acceleration with imac 16.1 and imacpro1.1 using the same efi. not with macpro 6.1...it's a mystery

Back