Hp Spectre X360 15
CPU
i7 7500U
Graphics
620, 4K
@jaymonkey : For HP spectre mojave clover install:
  • using the Preloader.efi in the clover folder and
  • renaming the cloverx64.efi to loader.efi
is the best way to make the clover boot or has there been a better way to make the boot working with Clover UEFI?
I checked on couple of years ago and we had touch screen having issue with clover boot screen. Not sure if any better method has been found so thought of checking with you...

Thanks in advanced...

@jaymonkey : For HP spectre mojave clover install:
  • using the Preloader.efi in the clover folder and
  • renaming the cloverx64.efi to loader.ef

@johnyg07,

The same issue remains, so using the linux preloader method you outlined above is still the best way to boot Clover on HP laptops that suffer from the issue. No know better/native way around the issue as far as i am aware.

Cheers
Jay

@jaymonkey did you try to use opencore with hp spectre? I could not make PreLoader.efi work with opencore. USB boot worked fine but with NVME SSD boot did not work with same set of config.

@jaymonkey did you try to use opencore with hp spectre? I could not make PreLoader.efi work with opencore. USB boot worked fine but with NVME SSD boot did not work with same set of config.
Same problem here! Did you manage to find a solution?!

@johnyg07, @Aleixjf22, @maheshbohara,

I've only just started to experiment with booting my HP Spectre X360 with Opencore, however I have been able to successfully boot OpenCore 0.6.6 directly from the internal NVMe.

NOTE: This method will only work with OpenCore 0.6.6 onwards as the developers have recently changed OC's native UEFI loader method which has removed any need to use BOOTX64.efi and/or Bootstrap.efi.

There is some info on the changes in this post :-

You don't need to do any of the steps within that post, I just linked it so you can understand some of the changes.

Additionally I should point out that my 2017 HP Spectre X360 is running BIOS version F.30, I have not tested the method with older or newer BIOS versions, so your success may vary.

---------------------------------------

Despite several attempts to get the built-in feature of OC 0.6.6 to automatically create a OC UEFI boot entry (as detailed in the above post/link), no matter what i tried i could not get it to work on my HP Spectre X360.

After some debugging and testing I found that I colud use Clovers EFI shell to manually create a new UEFI boot entry to directly boot OpenCore.efi from the NVMe with no need for a pre-loader, bootx64.efi or a bootstrap thus making future OC updates much simpler and a slight gain in overall boot speed.

NOTE-1: From my testing you can not use OC's OpenShell to do this, whilst the commands seem to work with OC's OpenShell, it will not list all of the UEFI boot entries correctly and it will not add or remove UEFI boot entries. The cause of this is most likely the same reason why OC's built in feature to automatically create a new UEFI boot entry also does not work. I discussed this issue with vit9696 over at Acidanthera who proposed that it may be necessary to use OpenControl.efi to allow OpenShell to modify the UEFI NVME boot entries on a HP Spectre X360, however during in all my testing it did not help and the only success I had was using Clovers EFI Shell.

Method :-

1. Mount the EFI partition of your NVMe in macOS.

2. Copy your prepared OC 0.6.6 folder to the EFI folder on your EFI partition (keep the Clover folder for now if you have one).

3. There is no need to copy the OC "BOOT" folder or the BOOTX64.efi file to an existing BOOT folder.

4. Reboot and boot into Clover from the NVMe and run the EFI Shell (see NOTE-2 below).

5. List your current UEFI boot entries with the command bcfg boot dump.

6. Mount the EFI FS partition ( usually FS0: ).

7. CD to the "/EFI/OC" folder, you can use the LS command to list the contents.

8. Add a new UEFI boot entry using the command bcfg boot add X OpenCore.efi "OpenCore from NVMe" where X is the the next boot entry number from Step 5 (EG if last boot entry = 03 then X will be 4)

9. Re-list your UEFI boot entries with the command bcfg boot dump.

10. Check that the new boot entry is present and correct.

11. Exit from Clover's EFI shell and reboot, press <ESC> and/or F9 to get to the Boot device list.

After following the above procedure you should now be able to boot OpenCore directly from the NVMe using the new UEFI boot entry, you can set it as the default when you're ready to migrate fully to OpenCore by going into the BIOS (F10) -> Settings -> System Configuration -> UEFI Boot Order.

NOTE-2: In order to see the EFI Shell option in Clover you either need to be running Clover in "Auto-Scan" mode or enable the "Tool" option if your using Clover in "Custom Scan" mode. These options are in the GUI section of Clovers config.plist.

As noted in Step 3 there is no need to copy OC's BOOTX64.efi to the /EFI/BOOT folder which is good as it can mess up some Linux installs and is one of the reasons OC has changed its native boot loader method.

The great thing about this method is that OC can now co-exist with Clover in the EFI giving you the option to run either boot loader ... which can be very handy when experimenting with test builds. For example I'm still using Clover to boot Catalina 10.15.7 for my regular daily work but i can now also boot OC to load a test install of Big Sur.

Also being able to boot Clover and OC at this stage is extremely beneficial as OC has currently got a nasty habit of injecting all ACPI (DSDT & SSDT's) regardless of the OS selected which will most likely cause issues in multi-boot situations when loading an existing install of Windows. Since Clover only injects ACPI when booting MacOS I can still use it to safely Boot Windows (and Linux). Eventually I hope to dump the manually patched DSDT for OC and use nothing but SSDT hot patches with _OSI condition checks but I've got a lot of work t do to make that a reality.

Warning: Be careful when using the bcfg command as you can mess up your existing UEFI entries if used improperly.

Side Note: I was able to use the same method (using Clovers EFI Shell) to get my ASRock Z96 Extreme 6/3.1 system to also directly boot OpenCore.efi from the UEFI. Due to an oddity in some older ASRock motherboards BIOS/UEFI, its is/was necessary to copy BootX64.efi to the root of the EFI partition and rename it shellx64.efi in order for the system to boot Clover or previous version of OpenCore.

Cheers
Jay

Last edited:
I have F.39 BIOS on my spectre. The above solution did not work for me. I created the config.plist as per the dortania guide.

I was able to boot from same set of files with USB but could not boot with internal ssd.

Also, I know using fully patched DSDT is not recommended to be used with OC, I am curious how can I make it work temporarily.

I have not hot patched for working battery status and not planning to do that in near future so just want to use the fully patched DSDT.

@jaymonkey - what is the BIOS version on your spectre?

Attachments

• 20210214_155717.jpg
    20210214_155717.jpg
    1,011.3 KB · Views: 104
I have F.39 BIOS on my spectre - what is the BIOS version on your spectre?

@johnyg07,

My HP Spectre is running BIOS F.30 ... I haven't updated it in a very long time ....

I know using fully patched DSDT is not recommended to be used with OC, I am curious how can I make it work temporarily. I have not hot patched for working battery status and not planning to do that in near future so just want to use the fully patched DSDT.

Same for me ... i'm still at a very early stage of booting my HP Spectre X360 with OpenCore, like you I am currently using the manually patched DSDT that I use with Clover which as you say is not optimal for OC .... but I haven't the time right now to go through the MacASL DSDT patches and convert them to SSDT hot patches, most of the simpler patches should be fairly straight forward to convert but the battery patch could prove troublesome as i think its using EC registers.

For regular/normal use, I boot Catalina 10.15.7 with Clover. I am only am using OpenCore 0.6.6 to run a test build of Big Sur .. still got quite a few snags to sort out though ....

Not sure why the above method did not work for you ? i guess it could be BIOS version related but have no way of knowing for sure.

Cheers
Jay

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back