Contribute
Register

HP Spectre X360 (15" 2017) - I2C Touchscreen and Pen Working in OSX

Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe you misunderstood my question, I was asking if you can use your stylus to write in the ink window that I attached.

@twsps,

Ahh ok .. your talking about the MacOS Ink feature, in which case it wont work as the MacOS Ink feature is for use with a graphics tablet and requires a MacOS Ink compliant tablet driver to be installed such as Wacom for it to work correctly.

Since MacOS has no official support for a active Stylus/Pen VoodooI2C treats it more like a mouse cursor but with far more precession ... I use mine with Adobe Photoshop in MacOS all the time ... great for touching up .. etc.

However I don't think it would take much to make it work with MacOS Ink ... but it would require a custom intermediate kext/driver that would make the Stylus/Pen simulate a graphics tablet rather than the mouse cursor.

Cheers
Jay

Last edited:
can i use the pen(apple pen or surface pen ) and how it is quality

Last edited:
@twsps,

Ahh ok .. your talking about the MacOS Ink feature, in which case it wont work as the MacOS Ink feature is for use with a graphics tablet and requires a MacOS Ink compliant tablet driver to be installed such as Wacom for it to work correctly.

Since MacOS has no official support for a active Stylus/Pen VoodooI2C treats it more like a mouse cursor but with far more precession ... I use mine with Adobe Photoshop in MacOS all the time ... great for touching up .. etc.

However I don't think it would take much to make it work with MacOS Ink ... but it would require a custom intermediate kext/driver that would make the Stylus/Pen simulate a graphics tablet rather than the mouse cursor.

Cheers
Jay
is it possible to install Wacom driver for i2c touchscreen devices? such as your hp and my dell?

is it possible to install Wacom driver for i2c touchscreen devices? such as your hp and my dell?

@Mrgeque,

Unfortunately not, i looked into this a while back but Wacom use their own propriety protocol between their devices and the host. The only possible way to do it would be to write a custom version of VoodooI2C that takes the IC2 X,Y and pen button status and then translates them to a supported tablet protocol instead of mimicking a trackpad/mouse.

Cheers
Jay

You should have single touch, at least. Install VoodooI2C + VoodooI2CHID, give it a try. If it does not work, attach a troubleshooting archive :)

BTW @jaymonkey Had a brief read of your guide. The pin range limit is APIC-related, not GPIO. The macOS drivers only allow usage of APIC pins <= 0x2F. When the pin is higher, we use GPIO.
Looking at the sample DSDT code in your guide:
SBFB - I2C bus declaration. Must be returned (For either APIC/GPIO/polling).
SBFI - APIC pin.
SBFG - GPIO pin.

The 0x23 pin shown within IOInterruptSpecifiers is actually an APIC pin, not a GPIO pin, and APIC interrupts are used (0x23 <= 0x2F)

That said, your DSDT structure is nice like you said, as you have both APIC and GPIO pins declared. If APIC > 0x2F you can just use GPIO, without custom pin mapping (just have SBFG in the return statement instead of SBFI).

You should have single touch, at least. Install VoodooI2C + VoodooI2CHID, give it a try. If it does not work, attach a troubleshooting archive :)

BTW @jaymonkey Had a brief read of your guide. The pin range limit is APIC-related, not GPIO. The macOS drivers only allow usage of APIC pins <= 0x2F. When the pin is higher, we use GPIO.
Looking at the sample DSDT code in your guide:
SBFB - I2C bus declaration. Must be returned (For either APIC/GPIO/polling).
SBFI - APIC pin.
SBFG - GPIO pin.

The 0x23 pin shown within IOInterruptSpecifiers is actually an APIC pin, not a GPIO pin, and APIC interrupts are used (0x23 <= 0x2F)

That said, your DSDT structure is nice like you said, as you have both APIC and GPIO pins declared. If APIC > 0x2F you can just use GPIO, without custom pin mapping (just have SBFG in the return statement instead of SBFI).
I have the complete voodooi2c driver and satellite installed and it works great @ben9923. I was asking @jaymonkey if there was a way to get FULL stylus support as apposed to being recognized as a mouse input device, so that we can write in the Mac OS ink app, and do other things that are only supported by an active stylus pen input

I have the complete voodooi2c driver and satellite installed and it works great @ben9923. I was asking @jaymonkey if there was a way to get FULL stylus support as apposed to being recognized as a mouse input device, so that we can write in the Mac OS ink app, and do other things that are only supported by an active stylus pen input
Maybe @jhax01 has some information too :)
have a look at the Ink preferences, see if there's something useful there. No idea if/in what level it's supported really (didn't mess with touchscreens too much).

Not sure what it would take at this point. As I've said before, Apple eliminated the stylus functions starting with Sierra. I dug through the headers at one point and they broke the chain somewhere in the HID event system, but I don't remember exactly where. I imagine that the Wacom tablet drivers are using the private API/SDK. If you want pressure / tilt sensitivity, the only current option is to install 10.11.

Hello Everybody, I have been Trying to implement this procedure, but it does not work. I think I have followed all directions and my controller is supported. I would really appreciate some help.

Attachments

• debug_32209.zip
    5.7 MB · Views: 159
  • DSDT.dsl
    1.4 MB · Views: 100
Hi , @jaymonkey!
I found an app called controllermate, which might be possible to customize the upper and lower stylus pen button function with the apps' building block.
Thanks.
Snipaste_2019-07-26_22-58-12.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back