Contribute
Register
Status
Not open for further replies.
So, please what bootloader did you use to get El Capitan running?:)

I am having trouble installing MAC OS X El Captitan on my Probook 4740s dual boot (Yosemite + Windows 8.1).
I tried to create USB installer using terminal createinstallmedia command method. But I am keep getting error
Code:
Mount of outer dmg failed

143937d1436788493-mount-outer-dmg-failed-screen-shot-2015-07-11-21.27.08.png

I read the following post and tried different methods:
http://www.tonymacx86.com/el-capitan-desktop-support/167996-mount-outer-dmg-failed.html

As on above post tonymacx86 said to try again, but it didn't work I tried again on different ports.

I didn't try to re-download as people already tried but that didn't work. see post.

I also tried the
Code:
sudo su
first, then ran command without sudo. see post. That didn't work even.

So I decided not to create installer USB, instead just upgrade my Yosemite system to El Capitan directly and re-run the PBI. I followed the guide Procedure to update from Yosemite to El Capitan.

But when the system restarts, I pressed Esc -> f9 -> Boot from EFI file -> Chose the new boot option in Clover screen to install. (I DIDN'T UNDERSTAND WHERE TO PRESS f4 key)
Installation began, but then I got the error.
Code:
This partition map modification would make a Windows partition unbootable. Quite the installer to restart your computer
20150718_111051.jpg

I tried to restart multiple time, getting the same error.

I don't understand what to do next now. Anyone can help?

Last edited by a moderator:
I am having trouble installing MAC OS X El Captitan on my Probook 4740s dual boot (Yosemite + Windows 8.1).
I tried to create USB installer using terminal createinstallmedia command method. But I am keep getting error
Code:
Mount of outer dmg failed

Make sure your USB is large enough (8GB or 16GB), is MBR, and the CLOVER EFI partition is 200mb (no larger).

Installation began, but then I got the error.
[/COLOR]
Code:
This partition map modification would make a Windows partition unbootable. Quite the installer to restart your computer
View attachment 144328

Post output of 'diskutil list' and 'sudo fdisk /dev/disk0'.

Hi, I've just upgrade my Yosemite installation to El Capitan Public Beta on HP Probook 4530s. Everything went good except for the sound, which was grayed out and not working. I followed the exact steps written at www.tonymacx86.com/el-capitan-lapto...nstall-el-capitan-hp-laptops-clover-uefi.html and after I did the last step, my El Capitan installation won't start... I see the Clover bootloader, see the Mac logo, the progress bar goes half and then everything is black...nothing else happens.

At step 6 I opened the same PBI Clover edition (HP Probook Installer Clover Edition 6.3.7.5.dmg) used before the upgrade to El Capitan, only that this time I did not select the Clover EFI option, the display type, and fan behavior. I selected only the options mentioned in the last step of the guide... I was warned by the installer that the files are not compatible with my OS X version, but installed them anyway...

How can I fix this? I have the Installer backup files... Thanks!

Later edit: I think the black screen is because I did not select the "display type" option. I see the the brightness gets modified when I press the keys on my laptop, but I can't see anything. Is there an easy way to repair this? Please!

boot from usb, re run PBI making sure you select correct options.

failing that, plug in an external monitor and do the same..

Thanks for the suggestions. I don't have an external monitor, and I only have the USB with Yosemite. Anyway, I fixed the problem by activating an option in Clover bootloader related to the Intel graphics card. After being able to enter the El Capitan session, I've re run PBI with all the options, including display type, reboot the laptop and everything's fine now. Also, the sound works now.

My suggestion for nguyenmac who wrote the guide is to modify the text on step 6 of the "Procedure to update from Yosemite to El Capitan" section. The step says "When everything is don't, rerun PBI CE to repatch DSDT, generate config.plist, update kexts, bluetooth kext and use Kext Wizard to repair permission, rebuild cache a few times to make it really stable."

First of all, what "when everything is don't" means? Second of all, it should say, "rerun PBI CE to repatch DSDT, generate config.plist, update kexts, and make sure you enable all the correct options for your HP laptop. Then use Kext Wizard to repair permissions and rebuild cache."

Post output of 'diskutil list' and 'sudo fdisk /dev/disk0'.

Installation does start, but after few seconds it gives error:

20150719_105826_HDR.jpg

Here is the output.

20150719_110332.jpg20150719_110305.jpg20150719_110459.jpg

Not sure if it is related or not, since I re-installed windows I always get 2 options to select from now. However only first one works.
20150719_111228.jpg

Make sure your USB is large enough (8GB or 16GB), is MBR, and the CLOVER EFI partition is 200mb (no larger).
USB is 16gb 3.0 Kingston.
However Clover partition is 8gb. I am using it for data storage too. I'll surely try with 200mb partition.

But I think even USB is successfully created, I'll still get error while installation "Partition map modification would make a Windows partition unbootable." because I am currently getting this error even while installing Yosemite from USB.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back