Contribute
Register

HP Probook Installer Clover Edition

A Big thank you for your help!

Unfortunately the installer won't generate the troubleshooting files if it fails with 'exit 1' in the patcher section, but I found something useful in the install.log (attached). Look at this line:

Code:
Jan 21 15:52:08 foo.bar installd[1113]: ./postinstall: /tmp/PKInstallSandbox.KnoUJR/Scripts/com.MadMax.pkg.Patcher.dIJm5M/postinstall: line 34:  6563 Segmentation fault: 11  ./iasl -da *.aml

iasl crashes with a segfault ?!?

cheers
Romanus

Attachments

• install.log
    74.5 KB · Views: 62

Unfortunately the installer won't generate the troubleshooting files if it fails with 'exit 1' in the patcher section, but I found something useful in the install.log (attached). Look at this line:

Code:
Jan 21 15:52:08 foo.bar installd[1113]: ./postinstall: /tmp/PKInstallSandbox.KnoUJR/Scripts/com.MadMax.pkg.Patcher.dIJm5M/postinstall: line 34:  6563 Segmentation fault: 11  ./iasl -da *.aml

cheers
Romanus

Cleary a bug in the ProBook Installer:
Code:
Jan 21 15:52:08 tinman.local installd[1113]: ./postinstall: + ./iasl -da APIC.aml 'ASF!.aml' BGRT.aml DSDT.aml FACP.aml FACS.aml FPDT.aml HPET.aml MCFG.aml RSDT.aml SSDT.aml TCPA.aml

iasl -da should not be used to disassemble any AML files that are not DSDT.aml or SSDT*.aml.

i'm looking at buying an HP Envy 15t at costco (they don't list the full model number).
i7-4210HQ
HD4600
1920X1080 display
specs don't list the brand of ethernet chip nor wifi chip

as far as i can tell, this is NOT a touchscreen. there is a model "15t Touch" that is a different unit.

is this closely enough related to one of the models in the PBI so that i can use that, or do i need to hack this the "old-fashioned way"?

i assume i'll need to manually patch the DSDT using rehabman's excellent patches, even if i am able use the other features of the PBI.

thanks

i'm looking at buying an HP Envy 15t at costco (they don't list the full model number).
i7-4210HQ
HD4600
1920X1080 display
specs don't list the brand of ethernet chip nor wifi chip

is this closely enough related to one of the models in the PBI so that i can use that, or do i need to hack this the "old-fashioned way"?

i assume i'll need to manually patch the DSDT using rehabman's excellent patches, even if i am able use the other features of the PBI.

thanks

The Haswell Envy is not supported by the ProBook Installer.

There is a lot of information (for DSDT/SSDT patching, patched AppleHDA) for Haswell Envy here: https://github.com/RehabMan/HP-Envy-DSDT-Patch

And you should read all applicable stickies here: http://www.tonymacx86.com/yosemite-laptop-support/

The Haswell Envy is not supported by the ProBook Installer.

There is a lot of information (for DSDT/SSDT patching, patched AppleHDA) for Haswell Envy here: https://github.com/RehabMan/HP-Envy-DSDT-Patch

And you should read all applicable stickies here: http://www.tonymacx86.com/yosemite-laptop-support/

thanks for your quick (instant!) reply.

my 4530s hack has been a great machine for several years but my upcoming tax refund is already burning a hole in my pocket, and i need another hacking challenge.

any idea whether the envys have a wifi card whitelist? there is no mention of BT in any of the specs on either costco's or hp's website so i would probably want to install a combo wifi/BT card.

Code:

cheers
Romanus
No, the problem is not in that. The problem is here:
Code:
Jan 21 15:52:08 tinman.local installd[1113]: ./postinstall: + '[' -f /Volumes/CLOVER/EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/origin/DSDT.aml ']'
Jan 21 15:52:08 tinman.local installd[1113]: ./postinstall: + '[' -f /Volumes/EFI/EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/origin/DSDT.aml ']'
Jan 21 15:52:08 tinman.local installd[1113]: ./postinstall: + ./patchmatic -extract

The installler can't find the DSDT.aml in the EFI partition it mounted. Why?

Do you per chance have 2 drives in your drive? And Mac in 2nd drive? Remember that PBI CE will only mount the EFI partition contaning the system drive. The installer will always fail with 4x0 G2 until it can find the origin folder.

Check your drive configuration again.

@RehabMan: Installer will find the best way to decompile if it failed:
Code:
Jan 21 15:52:08 tinman.local installd[1113]: ./postinstall: + ./iasl -da DSDT.aml ./SSDT.aml

@RehabMan: Installer will find the best way to decompile if it failed:
Code:
Jan 21 15:52:08 tinman.local installd[1113]: ./postinstall: + ./iasl -da DSDT.aml ./SSDT.aml

Why not start out with the correct filter?
Code:
iasl -da ./DSDT.aml ./SSDT*.aml

Why not start out with the correct filter?
Code:
iasl -da ./DSDT.aml ./SSDT*.aml

Just a mistake, fixed now, but it shouldn't affect the patching process.

The main problem is origin folder in EFI partition not found, thus it has to use patchmatic to extracte the current DSDT (which I believe it was patched correctly by the first time running PBI CE, which takes origin ACPI files from CLOVER USB).

Just a mistake, fixed now, but it shouldn't affect the patching process.

The main problem is origin folder in EFI partition not found, thus it has to use patchmatic to extracte the current DSDT (which I believe it was patched correctly by the first time running PBI CE, which takes origin ACPI files from CLOVER USB).

Note that with the current version of patchmatic, 'patchmatic -extract' will extract only DSDT.aml and SSDT*.aml. Only with 'patchmatic -extractall' will the other ACPI binaries be extracted.

But yes, if the user has something messed up with their EFI configuration and PBI-CE is not able to properly find EFI/Clover/ACPI/origin, and the user has already patched files in ACPI/patched, there's going to be an issue.

Hi there,

indeed, I have two disks in my laptop: an SSD and the original factory disk. Yosemite is installed on the SSD and on the other one I have a hfs partition that is permanently mounted and some linux partitions (swap and os). As an experiment I mounted the EFI partition manually under /Volumes/EFI and then started the installer: it worked fined!

I looked at the preinstall script of the Patcher.pkg to understand the heuristics that finds the correct partition. The ESPDevice is recognised correctly, so is the fstype. With this information I am able to mount the partition manually: mount -t msdos /dev/disk1s1 /Volumes/EFI.

If mounting the EFI partition had failed earlier, I should have seen the error message from the script, right?

Back