Contribute
Register

HP Probook Installer Clover Edition

updating clover / kexts and maybe config clover unless that is optional or system specific 4x30s etc.

Update Clover/kexts: see in first post, I don't think it's difficult. How is it in Chameleon?

Clover Config is optional. I write that so you won't have to search on Internet.

Hello nguyenmac, Rehabman & friends,

I've had great success installing PBI on an SSD a couple of weeks back, thanks to everyone who helped develop and test this great tool (and its components)!

I have just now gotten a drive caddy and re-installed the original HDD in the optical bay slot. It's still formatted with the HP factory partitions, which I would prefer to keep (if possible).

I would like to dual-boot: is it as easy as running the PBI again? Or am I forced to follow the guides found here and reformat the drive with a fresh installation of Windows 7?

I've had great success installing PBI on an SSD a couple of weeks back, thanks to everyone who helped develop and test this great tool (and its components)!

I have just now gotten a drive caddy and re-installed the original HDD in the optical bay slot. It's still formatted with the HP factory partitions, which I would prefer to keep (if possible).

I would like to dual-boot: is it as easy as running the PBI again? Or am I forced to follow the guides found here and reformat the drive with a fresh installation of Windows 7?

Clover should be able to boot that Windows install directly. PBI is not involved.

Enable Legacy OS Boot in the guide.

i had switched from Legacy to UEFI Hybrid in the BIOS settings to install and run Mavericks. At that time, the Mavericks SSD was the only drive in the machine.

The only boot options at the Clover screen are Mavericks and Recovery HD. Perhaps the Recovery HD is the first Windows partition of the HP-formatted HDD, and Clover needs to get readjusted to point to the Windows partition on that drive rather than the recovery partition? i will have a look through older forum posts tomorrow to see if anyone else has been through this....seems like a fairly common scenario, to get a 4540s and immediately throw an SSD in there for a fresh clean Mavericks installation, while keeping the factory HDD at "stock".

i had switched from Legacy to UEFI Hybrid in the BIOS settings to install and run Mavericks. At that time, the Mavericks SSD was the only drive in the machine.

The only boot options at the Clover screen are Mavericks and Recovery HD. Perhaps the Recovery HD is the first Windows partition of the HP-formatted HDD, and Clover needs to get readjusted to point to the Windows partition on that drive rather than the recovery partition? i will have a look through older forum posts tomorrow to see if anyone else has been through this....seems like a fairly common scenario, to get a 4540s and immediately throw an SSD in there for a fresh clean Mavericks installation, while keeping the factory HDD at "stock".

Set Gui > Scan > Legacy in config.plist to True. See "Legacy OS Boot" section in my guide.

EDIT: Turn off fast boot in BIOS too.

Still no idea if your Windows install is legacy or UEFI. Find that out so you know what to change or look for. If it was Win7 then likely legacy. If it was Win8 could be UEFI. If the disk is GPT partitioned then it is UEFI. If the disk is MBR then legacy. You can't rely on the BIOS setting as a BIOS reset would lead to incorrect conclusion. Given that it is not showing up in Clover points toward legacy, although it could have something to do with BIOS options such as fast boot.

Sorry for the delay - I got a new puppy. He's demanding but a lot of fun. =)

Anyway, back to the issue here - the original HP-formatted HDD partitions (4) now show up in Clover, but none of them boot successfully. Fast boot is not enabled in BIOS. The original HDD is MBR/Win7. i have enabled GUI > Legacy scan via Clover Configurator.
hp4540s_dual-boot_partition_structure.jpg

Do i need to add Custom Entries?
hp4540s_clover_custom_entries.png

Nguyenmac suggested editing Gui > Scan > Legacy in config.plist to True - here's the Xcode screenshot. Is this correct?
config_plistEdited.jpg

Sorry for the delay - I got a new puppy. He's demanding but a lot of fun. =)

Anyway, back to the issue here - the original HP-formatted HDD partitions (4) now show up in Clover, but none of them boot successfully. Fast boot is not enabled in BIOS. The original HDD is MBR/Win7. i have enabled GUI > Legacy scan via Clover Configurator.
View attachment 92766

Do i need to add Custom Entries?
View attachment 92767

Nguyenmac suggested editing Gui > Scan > Legacy in config.plist to True - here's the Xcode screenshot. Is this correct?
View attachment 92768

I was never able to boot windows in legacy mode after following the guide , so what i did was to install windows in uefi and everything worked . I suggest doing that , since it will allow you to boot faster with clover . Also fast boot works like a charm

Back