Contribute
Register

HP ProBook Installer 6.1: 4x30s and 4x40s support

Hi!

I am trying to install Mountain Lion on my HP 4530s ProBook. I am following this guide, but I never reach the installer screen. It boots with the grey screen and the spinning wheel. After some time the wheel stops spinning, and nothing happens.

I have tried to boot woth -x -v to see what is going on, and the last two lines I see are:

[IOBluetoothHCIController][start] -- completed
RTL8111: Ethernet address e4:11:5b (and the rest of the address)

Then nothing happens.

What can I try? I thought ML was a safe bet, will I be better off installing mavericks or even yosemite instead?

1. I don't see your exact configuration anywhere in your post. Please update your signature with that information (model, CPU, with or without discrete graphics etc.).
2. How exactly did you create the USB flash drive and which guide did you follow?

Your problem however seems to be unrelated with the ProBooks Installer in any way...

Hi!

I am trying to install Mountain Lion on my HP 4530s ProBook. I am following this guide, but I never reach the installer screen. It boots with the grey screen and the spinning wheel. After some time the wheel stops spinning, and nothing happens.

I have tried to boot woth -x -v to see what is going on, and the last two lines I see are:

[IOBluetoothHCIController][start] -- completed
RTL8111: Ethernet address e4:11:5b (and the rest of the address)

Then nothing happens.

What can I try? I thought ML was a safe bet, will I be better off installing mavericks or even yosemite instead?

Make sure you followed the guide regarding BIOS settings/etc.

Where did you obtain your copy of Mountain Lion?

Yes, as far as I can see I have the right BIOS settings. The copy of Mountain Lion is my own, downloaded from the App Store.

I have also tried the Yosemite install in the meantime. It boots for a while, and then the process just stops. I have not tried to boot that with -x and -v yet. In that install I followed the bios procedure.

I am unsure how to find the information for the signature, but it would be something like the one below. It is i ProBook 4350S. Bios is F0A, it is an i3 unsure about the 3230m part, can't find that anywhere. It has 4GB of RAM and an HD3000 graphics card.

ProBook 4350s A0001C02 (F.0A): i3-3230M 2.1 GHz, 4 GB RAM, Intel HD3000

Yes, as far as I can see I have the right BIOS settings. The copy of Mountain Lion is my own, downloaded from the App Store.

I have also tried the Yosemite install in the meantime. It boots for a while, and then the process just stops. I have not tried to boot that with -x and -v yet. In that install I followed the bios procedure.

I am unsure how to find the information for the signature, but it would be something like the one below. It is i ProBook 4350S. Bios is F0A, it is an i3 unsure about the 3230m part, can't find that anywhere. It has 4GB of RAM and an HD3000 graphics card.

ProBook 4350s A0001C02 (F.0A): i3-3230M 2.1 GHz, 4 GB RAM, Intel HD3000

You have a very old BIOS. You should update it.

BIOS updated to F50. Still seeing the same. Mountain Lion stops with ethernet line. Yosemite with Clover install stops at the black screen with the white apple. The progress bar reaches about 1/3 across.

BIOS updated to F50. Still seeing the same. Mountain Lion stops with ethernet line. Yosemite with Clover install stops at the black screen with the white apple. The progress bar reaches about 1/3 across.

Reset BIOS settings. Try different USB ports/USB sticks. Boot verbose to troubleshoot.

BIOS reset and options set as they are supposed to. Have tried moving the usb around and have also tried another.

Mountain Lion stops with an ethernet line when booting verbose.

Yosemite with Clover stops with:

fatal unsupported chip ITE sequence ID=0x701 Winbond sequence ID=0xffff

For Yosemite I have tried both the options to make the usb. None of them works.

BIOS reset and options set as they are supposed to. Have tried moving the usb around and have also tried another.

Mountain Lion stops with an ethernet line when booting verbose.

Yosemite with Clover stops with:

fatal unsupported chip ITE sequence ID=0x701 Winbond sequence ID=0xffff

For Yosemite I have tried both the options to make the usb. None of them works.

Boot verbose and post quality photo of the entire screen. The last line is almost never the most important.

Here are the screenshots.

Picture one is from Mountain Lion made with unibeast. The ML installer is my own, downloaded from the App Store. I see som messages about read error, but I have used two other usb-sticks, and they both show the same. Don't know what to make of it.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/sdfer132stddy7s/IMG_0001.JPG?dl=0

Picture 2 is of Yosemite with clover install. Yosemite installer is also downloaded through the App Store and also tried on three different usb-sticks.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xbw8rwqr7zh240t/IMG_0002.JPG?dl=0

From what I see on this forum, this machine (HP 4530S) should be easy to hackintosh. I don't understand why none of my installs are getting anywhere.

Back