Contribute
Register

HP ProBook Installer 6.1: 4x30s and 4x40s support

HP ProBook Installer 6.1 (beta): Ivy bridge support

yeh you are right about it. what other choice do we, 'noobs', have apart from not using it for house keeping.

ccleaner and cleanmymac was recommended by a broad user base on win/mac. onyx i stumbled across while trying to fix a problem on the mac (some kind of function/feature that was on sl but was hidden on ml like the 'quit' finder.

The choice you have is simply not to use these things. Especially when you don't have an identifiable problem with a known solution in one of these tools. Pushing all the buttons and turning all the dials because the buttons and dials exist does not make sense.

That is not to say that these tools do not have any value. Given an identified problem where the solution is provided/documented in one of these tools, they can be used as a shortcut or easy access.

btw will hwmonitor be updated? everytime it checks for updates, it seems to be ahead of the probook installer.

HwMonitor is in a constant state of updates. Almost every day.

I do not update every day my own repository because 1) it is annoying, 2) it is unnecessary, 3) it requires work on my part, and probably the most important... 4) I prefer to sit on some of these changes for a while, test them, and make sure the software is working on both my systems before I push a release.

You can turn the notifications off in HwMonitor preferences if you don't like them.

Cool! I've just updated the SL kext (along with the other updates: FakeSMC.kext + HWMonitor, GenericUSBXHCI.kext and VoodooPS2Controller.kext)

There will be an update to RealtekRTL8111.kext pretty soon too...

I used to be a Windows PC repair technician (now I'm just a mother of 2 kids) and I can tell you now these "cleaning" programs are useless. They only make your system worse (corrupting software, registry etc). I don't even use an antivirus, whether on Windows or Mac.

Whether a noob or an expert, it doesn't take much to realise that you only need to avoid bad sites (downloading pirated stuff, t*****ts, adult content, etc.)

There's nothing wrong with the Probook Installer. And you don't need to "clean" anything, especially on a Mac.

thanks, i'm all a noob on mac/pc , from what i've seen is any app that uses the internet especially web browswers generally accumulate stuff, esp in the temp/tmp folders, such as video driver updates nvidia/amd they tend to leave stuff behind. which is prob why using 'cleaning' apps has helped free up some space esp on 128gb ssd drives.

i'm currently doing a fresh clean install on a 4x40s and was suprised that 10.8.4 wieghs in at about 15gb! thats about 5 or 6 gb more than i recall on ml.

update for b15, feedback, at the moment just did another cold boot on the 4x30s, and the bt and wifi is working normal. thanks!

The choice you have is simply not to use these things. Especially when you don't have an identifiable problem with a known solution in one of these tools. Pushing all the buttons and turning all the dials because the buttons and dials exist does not make sense.

That is not to say that these tools do not have any value. Given an identified problem where the solution is provided/documented in one of these tools, they can be used as a shortcut or easy access.

HwMonitor is in a constant state of updates. Almost every day.

I do not update every day my own repository because 1) it is annoying, 2) it is unnecessary, 3) it requires work on my part, and probably the most important... 4) I prefer to sit on some of these changes for a while, test them, and make sure the software is working on both my systems before I push a release.

You can turn the notifications off in HwMonitor preferences if you don't like them.

cool, i'll uncheck that i hwmonitor notify thing.

Last edited by a moderator:

In this way is not working, only if i connect the VGA and turn on the computer, otherwise is not working.

Also i have an issue with glitch, dont know if is glitch but i have attached a video to show exactly the blinking issue.

[video=youtube;On7qAR5R72k]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=On7qAR5R72k[/video]

Thanks a lot.

Dario

VGA works on the ProBook 4530s in ML thanks to patched AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB.kext included in the ProBook Installer.

With VGA, you have to do "Detect Displays" in SysPrefs -> Displays. Hold the Option key (Windows key) down to have ML show you the "Detect Displays" button.

In this way is not working, only if i connect the VGA and turn on the computer, otherwise is not working.

Also i have an issue with glitch, dont know if is glitch but i have attached a video to show exactly the blinking issue.

[video=youtube;On7qAR5R72k]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=On7qAR5R72k[/video]

Thanks a lot.

Dario

are you asking about the screen flickering?

i have noticed severe flickering, possible graphics glitch, when using chrome, its severe when its just a blank page with the grey background. the graphics rendering becomes quite distorted when moving/resize the window or scrolling up down.

are you asking about the screen flickering?

i have noticed severe flickering, possible graphics glitch, when using chrome, its severe when its just a blank page with the grey background. the graphics rendering becomes quite distorted when moving/resize the window or scrolling up down.

Yes is the flickering, this happen on chrome, safari, even on finder or settings, no matter where you are.

Thanks a lot.

Dario

Yes is the flickering, this happen on chrome, safari, even on finder or settings, no matter where you are.

Thanks a lot.

Dario

Yes, I've got this issue everywhere as well, on grey backgrounds, but it's a lot worse in Google Chrome. It's a bit less on Safari, but still noticeable.

i'm currently doing a fresh clean install on a 4x40s and was suprised that 10.8.4 wieghs in at about 15gb! thats about 5 or 6 gb more than i recall on ml.

I haven't looked recently whether 10.8.4 is that much larger, but given that it still fits on the same 8GB flash drive, I doubt it.

How much memory in the 4x40s? Might it be the sleepimage? Run ProBook Installer and do 'Sleep image fix'...

Hi again guys. I followed your suggestions in the previous posts, but still cannot get wireless to work on my 8460p with any version of the installer after version 7. Any version up to and including beta7 if fine, but starting with beta 8 when I select OS X Support Kexts>4x30s>ML>10.8.4 the wireless icon in the menu bar is just an empty icon as it would be when physically turned off. Clicking on it shows Wi-Fi: No hardware installed. I do also select everything else as mentioned in the installation instructions in the first post of this thread.

If I go back and install beta7 or earlier and select only OS X Support Kexts>4x30s>ML>10.8.x wireless comes back.

I downloaded the source folders for both 7 and 8 figuring that something in there must have a different version. While I looked through a bunch of what I thought would be relevant folders, I couldn't find anything. I thought that if I could find a particular kext with a different version that I could maybe just install that one older kext and be good, but no such luck.

I also have no sound and never have with any of the versions. I've got the Intel HD chipset and can only get sound if I install VoodooHDA 0.2.7.3 from MultiBeast. I wiped everything out and started over again once 10.8.4 was officially released and the new UniBeat 2.0 came out. I have not installed Voodoo yet in this iteration, sound would be nice, but my main concern is getting wireless working.

Thanks,

Jeff

Hi again guys. I followed your suggestions in the previous posts, but still cannot get wireless to work on my 8460p with any version of the installer after version 7. Any version up to and including beta7 if fine, but starting with beta 8 when I select OS X Support Kexts>4x30s>ML>10.8.4 the wireless icon in the menu bar is just an empty icon as it would be when physically turned off. Clicking on it shows Wi-Fi: No hardware installed. I do also select everything else as mentioned in the installation instructions in the first post of this thread.

If I go back and install beta7 or earlier and select only OS X Support Kexts>4x30s>ML>10.8.x wireless comes back.

I downloaded the source folders for both 7 and 8 figuring that something in there must have a different version. While I looked through a bunch of what I thought would be relevant folders, I couldn't find anything. I thought that if I could find a particular kext with a different version that I could maybe just install that one older kext and be good, but no such luck.

If I remember right, there was a corruption issue with beta7 that caused issues with later versions. Have you tried to repair permissions & rebuild cache after updating? Have you tried repair permissions & rebuild cache, followed by installing the later versions? If none of those work, do a fresh install. Like I said beta7 caused issues because the installer was corrupt (something about duplicate IDs for a package) which caused problems for updates to later revisions. So if you ever had beta7 installed, there may be an issue with your system that you can't recover from. Best to do a fresh install if the techniques above can't fix it.

I also have no sound and never have with any of the versions. I've got the Intel HD chipset and can only get sound if I install VoodooHDA 0.2.7.3 from MultiBeast. I wiped everything out and started over again once 10.8.4 was officially released and the new UniBeat 2.0 came out. I have not installed Voodoo yet in this iteration, sound would be nice, but my main concern is getting wireless working.

There is not really official support for the 8460p in the ProBook Installer. The ProBook Installer supports only 4x30s and 4x40s series ProBooks. The 8460p has a different audio codec than both the 4x30s and 4x40s, so you need a different patched AppleHDA.kext. You might search the forums and see if you can find one. You would install it after running the ProBook Installer, such that the AppleHDA that the Probook Installer installs gets overwritten by the one for your machine.

Back