Contribute
Register

HP ProBook Installer 6.1: 4x30s and 4x40s support

HP ProBook Installer 6.1 (beta): Ivy bridge support

My mistake, i've had a long day i'm sorry!

At this point, all I have done is use the ProBook installer to install the basic kexts - except IO811Family which I have edited for my WiFi card. I have looked into enabling my bluetooth, however upon downloading the .zip file from OSX86 I discovered in there existed an IOath3kfrmwr.kext which I found was installed by the ProBook installer.

I suppose my actual question was to be, is it okay to install these two new kexts from OSX86 (IOBluetooth is vanilla still) or would the new
IOath3kfrmwr interfere with the one installed from the installer?

PS, I think now would be a good time to say, you have written brilliant guides and provided great support. Definitely helped me with my University work and can't thank you enough!

My mistake, i've had a long day i'm sorry!

At this point, all I have done is use the ProBook installer to install the basic kexts - except IO811Family which I have edited for my WiFi card. I have looked into enabling my bluetooth, however upon downloading the .zip file from OSX86 I discovered in there existed an IOath3kfrmwr.kext which I found was installed by the ProBook installer.

I suppose my actual question was to be, is it okay to install these two new kexts from OSX86 (IOBluetooth is vanilla still) or would the new
IOath3kfrmwr interfere with the one installed from the installer?

PS, I think now would be a good time to say, you have written brilliant guides and provided great support. Definitely helped me with my University work and can't thank you enough!

I'm not sure what the status is with BT and 4x40s. I guess I'd be a little surprised if the productid/vendorid changed, but I suppose it is possible. Since BigDonkey (and a few others) has the 4x40s he can probably chime in and tell us whether the IOath3kfrmwr.kext that we have needs any mods... I suppose it depends on what if any wifi/bt combo card they have swapped in.

I'm not sure what the status is with BT and 4x40s.
No difference whatsoever. IOath3kfrmwr.kext is part of common kexts in the HP Installer and should work like before with all original HP AR9285 cards without user intervention. I remember however about some issues in ML, delay (before card starts after boot) and BT icon might need to be enabled in System Preferences.

I suppose it depends on what if any wifi/bt combo card they have swapped in. I guess I'd be a little surprised if the productid/vendorid changed, but I suppose it is possible.
Since 4540S allows any card to be used, I believe Craigrox is using one with faster WiFi - AR9287. It's possible IDs are different for BT part.
Craigrox? Can you post USB IDs from Linux or OSX with the kext removed?

EMlyDinEsHMG repository hasn't been touched for months, your kext version is still the most developed and tested.
https://github.com/EMlyDinEsHMG/Atheros-Bluetooth-Firmware-Uploader

No difference whatsoever. IOath3kfrmwr.kext is part of common kexts in the HP Installer and should work like before with all original HP AR9285 cards without user intervention. I remember however about some issues in ML, delay (before card starts after boot) and BT icon might need to be enabled in System Preferences.

Since 4540S allows any card to be used, I believe Craigrox is using one with faster WiFi - AR9287. It's possible IDs are different for BT part.

EMlyDinEsHMG repository hasn't been touched for months, your kext version is still the most developed and tested.

And I'll be glad to add some ids if we need to (I think I can have more than one vend/prod id in there... I'd have to look up how to though...). If not, we could always do tweaking in the installer to the Info.plist for different Probook models.

I am indeed using the AR9287 card.
What is the easiest method of posting the USB IDs from OSX - look in system information and click on the USB section? Also, is it IOath3kfrmwr.kext you wish me to remove before posting the IDs?

I am indeed using the AR9287 card.
What is the easiest method of posting the USB IDs from OSX - look in system information and click on the USB section? Also, is it IOath3kfrmwr.kext you wish me to remove before posting the IDs?

Yes and yes. That's how it worked on 4530S, however on my 4540S it dissapears from the USB section once IOath3kfrmwr.kext is removed.

Yes and yes. That's how it worked on 4530S, however on my 4540S it dissapears from the USB section once IOath3kfrmwr.kext is removed.
Kext removed and here is the image of the tree I am pasting from:
Screen Shot 2013-02-06 at 17.40.27.png
Code:
[B]USB High-Speed Bus:[/B]

Host Controller Location:	Built-in USB
  Host Controller Driver:	AppleUSBEHCI
  PCI Device ID:	0x1e26 
  PCI Revision ID:	0x0004 
  PCI Vendor ID:	0x8086 
  Bus Number:	0x1d 

[B]Hub:[/B]

Product ID:	0x0024
  Vendor ID:	0x8087  (Intel Corporation)
  Version:	 0.00
  Speed:	Up to 480 Mb/sec
  Location ID:	0x1d100000 / 2
  Current Available (mA):	500
  Current Required (mA):	0

[B]Bluetooth USB Host Controller:[/B]

Product ID:	0x3002
  Vendor ID:	0x0cf3  (Atheros Communications, Inc.)
  Version:	 0.01
  Speed:	Up to 12 Mb/sec
  Location ID:	0x1d160000 / 3
  Current Required (mA):	100

and the second

Code:
[B]USB High-Speed Bus:[/B]

Host Controller Location:	Built-in USB
  Host Controller Driver:	AppleUSBEHCI
  PCI Device ID:	0x7f9800001e2d 
  PCI Revision ID:	0x7f9800000004 
  PCI Vendor ID:	0x7f9800008086 
  Bus Number:	0x1a 

[B]Hub:[/B]

Product ID:	0x0024
  Vendor ID:	0x8087  (Intel Corporation)
  Version:	 0.00
  Location ID:	0x1a100000 / 2
  Current Required (mA):	0

[B]Vendor-Specific Device:[/B]

Product ID:	0x003d
  Vendor ID:	0x138a
  Version:	 1.04
  Serial Number:	00a0e44f0c8d
  Speed:	Up to 12 Mb/sec
  Location ID:	0x1a110000 / 4
  Current Required (mA):	Unknown (Device has not been configured)

[B]HP HD Webcam [Fixed]:[/B]

Product ID:	0x2c2a
  Vendor ID:	0x1bcf  (Sunplus Innovation Technology Inc.)
  Version:	24.02
  Manufacturer:	DDEJL019I3M5G1
  Location ID:	0x1a130000 / 3
  Current Required (mA):	500

What exactly is it that IOath3kfrmwr does again?

Kext removed and here is the image of the tree I am pasting from:
Code:
[B]Bluetooth USB Host Controller:[/B]     
Product ID:    [B]0x3002 [/B]  
Vendor ID:    [B]0x0cf3[/B]  (Atheros Communications, Inc.)   
Version:     0.01   
Speed:    Up to 12 Mb/sec   
Location ID:    0x1d160000 / 3   
Current Available (mA):    500   
Current Required (mA):    100
Thanks!
Do you see anything under Bluetooth in System Information with the IOath3kfrmwr.kext removed?

What exactly is it that IOath3kfrmwr does again?
It loads firmware for combo cards like the ones used in 4530S AR9285/AR3011
Raw USB ID 03F0:311D

I don't see anything with the kext removed or installed under Bluetooth, it makes no difference. If this is of interest also, I saw nothing under PCI cards until I performed a DSDT edit to enable the WiFi without editing IO80211Family!

Edit: On a side note, can the USB3.0 ports be enabled as such? Currently they are running as USB2.0 - I noticed when using UniBeast they appeared as super-high speed in System Information..

I don't see anything with the kext removed or installed under Bluetooth, it makes no difference. If this is of interest also, I saw nothing under PCI cards until I performed a DSDT edit to enable the WiFi without editing IO80211Family!

Edit: On a side note, can the USB3.0 ports be enabled as such? Currently they are running as USB2.0 - I noticed when using UniBeast they appeared as super-high speed in System Information..

Keep in mind that the IOath3kfrmwr.kext only does its job when the BT hardware has suffered a power loss. This means if you are warm restarting after having already loaded the firmware in a previous session (Windows/OSX/Linux included), the firmware is still present. The only time it loads the firmware is on a cold start and wake from sleep.

Back