Contribute
Register

HP ProBook Installer 6.1: 4x30s and 4x40s support

HP ProBook Installer 6.1 (beta): Ivy bridge support

I've not been able to get this to work at all. I must be doing something wrong.

I have a 4530s, i5 2430 with stock hard drive, upgraded 1080p screen and 12mb RAM. I am on 10.8.3 and installer 6.1 b4. Generally working fine, but locks up after sleep and need to power off then reboot. Also, boot time is quite slow. I've never worked out how to patch my own DSDT. Lord knows I've tried to understand how to do it. I'm fairly techy but it's just too complicated for me.

So, I decided to try 6.1 b5 (thanks to philip_petev, Rehabman and ALL, btw), and this is what I did.

1. Deleted DSDT.aml and ssdt.aml from /Extra.
  2. Rebooted with dsdt=no.
  3. Ran Installer 6.1 b5.
  4. Rebooted.
  5. No wifi. Don't know why. Couldn't add it either.
  6. Rebooted. Still no wifi. Here is the DSDT that Installer 6.1 b5 generated for me in /Extra: http://goo.gl/hmZoF
  7. Baffled, I ran 6.1 b4.
  8. Rebooted, wifi back again.

But, it's still just as slow to boot up as before (at least a minute).

Any advice welcome!

Post your /var/log/install.log

One more question: did you selected the Atheros patch from the Optional patches group? Without it, you won't have WiFi at all. Even if it's in this group, it's mandatory for all 4x30s models with Atheros 9285 WiFi adapter.

I've not been able to get this to work at all. I must be doing something wrong.

I have a 4530s, i5 2430 with stock hard drive, upgraded 1080p screen and 12mb RAM. I am on 10.8.3 and installer 6.1 b4. Generally working fine, but locks up after sleep and need to power off then reboot. Also, boot time is quite slow. I've never worked out how to patch my own DSDT. Lord knows I've tried to understand how to do it. I'm fairly techy but it's just too complicated for me.

So, I decided to try 6.1 b5 (thanks to philip_petev, Rehabman and ALL, btw), and this is what I did.

1. Deleted DSDT.aml and ssdt.aml from /Extra.
  2. Rebooted with dsdt=no.
  3. Ran Installer 6.1 b5.
  4. Rebooted.
  5. No wifi. Don't know why. Couldn't add it either.
  6. Rebooted. Still no wifi. Here is the DSDT that Installer 6.1 b5 generated for me in /Extra: http://goo.gl/hmZoF
  7. Baffled, I ran 6.1 b4.
  8. Rebooted, wifi back again.

But, it's still just as slow to boot up as before (at least a minute).

Any advice welcome!

That DSDT doesn't have the atheros 9280 patch, so without it, you have no WiFi... You must have forgot to select it.

RM, I made a little modification of the DSDT generator postinstall script. In case of a patched DSDT, it will copy from the temporary folder to the desktop the following text file:

Code:
Patched DSDT detected! Now you should do the following:

1. Remove your current DSDT.aml.
2. Reboot your laptop.
3. Run the ProBook Installer and select your DSDT options again.

Note: for those of you with 47x0s (1600x900) or with 45x0s with 1080p screen mod, you won't be able to boot your system without DSDT.aml!
Instead, you should do the following:

1. Remove your current DSDT.aml
2.1 If you already have an /Extra/SSDT.aml installed (eg. you already ran the Probook Installer previously), copy Mini-SSDT-DualLink.aml from your desktop to /Extra/ssdt-1.aml.
2.2 If you don't have an /Extra/SSDT.aml installed (eg. fresh install or ??? or you're doing this with Unibeast installer), copy Mini-SSDT-DualLink.aml from your desktop to /Extra/ssdt.aml.
3. Reboot your laptop.

along with your Mini-SSDT-DualLink.aml.
I've already included both of them in the patcher package.

RM, I made a little modification of the DSDT generator postinstall script. In case of a patched DSDT, it will copy from the temporary folder to the desktop the following text file:

Code:
Patched DSDT detected! Now you should do the following:

1. Remove your current DSDT.aml.
2. Reboot your laptop.

Note: for those of you with 47x0s (1600x900) or with 45x0s with 1080p screen mod, you won't be able to boot your system without DSDT.aml!
Instead, you should do the following:

1. Remove your current DSDT.aml
2.1 If you already have an /Extra/SSDT.aml installed (eg. you already ran the Probook Installer previously), copy Mini-SSDT-DualLink.aml from your desktop to /Extra/ssdt-1.aml.
2.2 If you don't have an /Extra/SSDT.aml installed (eg. fresh install or ??? or you're doing this with Unibeast installer), copy Mini-SSDT-DualLink.aml from your desktop to /Extra/ssdt.aml.
3. Reboot your laptop.

along with your Mini-SSDT-DualLink.aml.
I've already included both of them in the patcher package.

That makes sense. New technique here. ProBook Installer offering advice by placing text files (and related stuff) on the desktop.

BTW, the same thing goes for 4x40s with Sandy CPU. Need Mini-SSDT-IMEI.aml as /Extra/ssdt-1.aml (or ssdt.aml if no ssdt yet). And... if you had a 4740s (17" dual-link screen), you would need to install both Mini-SSDT-DualLink.aml and Mini-SSDT-IMEI.aml as ssdt-1.aml, ssdt-2.aml (or as ssdt.aml and ssdt-1.aml depending on installation status of CPU SSDT)...

FYI: New builds of my kexts (IOath3kfrmwr.kext, AppleSmartBatteryManager.kext, VoodooPS2Controller.kext, ACPIPoller.kext) are up on google code. I've got more work to do on the RealtekRTL8111.kext and GenericUSBXHCI.kext (probably a few days, as I've got to move soon), but those are not currently in the ProBook Installer and I didn't want to hold up the next build of the Installer for something that is currently not included.

Edit: And latest RehabMan/kozlek FakeSMC + HwMonitor...

FYI: New builds of my kexts (IOath3kfrmwr.kext, AppleSmartBatteryManager.kext, VoodooPS2Controller.kext, ACPIPoller.kext) are up on google code. I've got more work to do on the RealtekRTL8111.kext and GenericUSBXHCI.kext (probably a few days, as I've got to move soon), but those are not currently in the ProBook Installer and I didn't want to hold up the next build of the Installer for something that is currently not included.

About the last two: I haven't followed the conversation here much, but are they usable (and stable) enough to replace RealtekRTL81xx.kext and PXHCD.kext?

About the last two: I haven't followed the conversation here much, but are they usable (and stable) enough to replace RealtekRTL81xx.kext and PXHCD.kext?

I think they are better options (other that the issue with RealtekRTL8111.kext not working after warm boot into OS X from Windows). RTL8111 because it works on the 4x40s. And GenericUSB* because it actually works and is open source.

But I plan to update both of these builds this week (after I move...)

I think they are better options (other that the issue with RealtekRTL8111.kext not working after warm boot into OS X from Windows). RTL8111 because it works on the 4x40s. And GenericUSB* because it actually works and is open source.

But I plan to update both of these builds this week (after I move...)

Alright then, I've included the rest of your new builds in the Installer and will release beta 6, when these two are ready.

@philip_petev,

Did you notice my updates to the patch repo (forgot to run 'make' last time), and "official" build of patchmatic?

Guys, do you think MaciASL should be added in the Installer (in the Extra tools group)?

philip, I think it can be added. "Normal" (basic) users, possibly, will never use it, but advanced users, may be.
BTW, I know you want to wait for the other 2, but if you have already updated all the RM kext builds in the installer, it can be a good idea to release the beta 6 to give us (testers) the possibility to test it (bugs, incompatibilities etc..); that's why RM gave priority to update just the kexts used in the installer.
What do you think?

Thanks!

Back